My card died, Warranty expired

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by dabooga, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Pretty much this.

2. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC

qft, just to add that for the lots of the faulty cards in past 10 years RoHS carries most of the responsibility: bga joints without lead are not that flexible, they last much shorter compared to BGA joints with lead.

Also other things worth mentioning: cheap VRM's, non adequate stock or aftermarket cooling solutions, bad airflow inside cases....and of course excessive OC :)

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It seems reference designs in general are the minimum required, aftermarket can give benefits for cooling etc as long as they use quality parts. In terms of GPU's dying, for the most part they are much the same except for some older Nvidia cards from around the 9000 series? It didn't seem to harm Nvidia much for reputation though. I won't mention the more recent (but still a while ago) driver issues with Nvidia :) (oh, I'm not trolling or anything like that! :D). Seriously though, warranty has always been a joking issue since it seems that items fail just outside of warranty. If you decide to get extended warranty then you miraculously get that extra time hassle free and still have it fail just outside of warranty. I think if you choose the right brand and the right card from the right card series, in general you have better luck than choosing a cheaper brand or even a card from a different series from the same brand.

To make more sense, in general, you get what you pay for. However, this isn't always the case. If you always went by this principle, to make a crap card look good all they would have to do is charge more for it. It's how Tater Tots in the US became so big, Originally they were super cheap, and people thought they couldn't be any good because they were so cheap, and never bought it. All they had to do to turn it into a success was charge more for it, because it gave the perception of quality and something good.

Brand reputation doesn't necessarily mean much either, when people are buying for the brand and not for the actual product. It doesn't necessarily mean the products aren't any good, just that more often than not they are overpriced.

4. dabooga

dabooga Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    Yes I already said I'm not looking to save the card, just looking for a lucrative outcome.

MSI has confirmed that the GPU is out of warranty, yet Pixmania has claimed that it is still in warranty, so I'll be sending it to Pixmania!

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    And Pixmania will send it back to MSI more than likely

Sounds like MSI are lying to their customers to save on RMAs

6. edneyhelene

edneyhelene Guest

GPU:
    R9 270x MSI OC Gaming 2gb
    Man im sure if u do look for an tecnician that does reballing and fix your bga it will work again for a long time!

7. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Most likely... weird act from MSI, weird indeed... MSI (like any other manufacturer out there) should accept date of purchase as a start point when warranty period benings, not the manufacturing date. Someone at MSI is obviously trying to get away with nonsence like this one: one call to the state customer service protection agency (at least in our country) pointing them to that MSI representative and his stupid excuse should be enough for them at MSI to "sing another song".

F*ck me if I would like tok now when some IT stuff I've bought was manufactured: I want my warranty period to start from the date I've purchased that thing from the retailer! Law stands behind this, end of story...

Propper reballing (I'm not talking about oven baking, reflow with heatgun...) can cost you between 50€and 100€, maybe VRM's are fried... but why should he pay to anyone to fix that card?

If Pixmania is accepting the warranty OP should send them that faulty card and let them bang a head agains the wall what to do with it.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yep, on my EVGA box for this 980, it says If I have a problem/fault with the GPU, do not RMA to the outlet I bought it from, instead, I have 5 years warranty with EVGA themselves, and to send it directly to them

That notice is not written on the box for the manufacturers or the retailers, it is written on the box for the customer who buys it

EDIT - 3 years sorry
    [​IMG]

EDIT 2 - Nope, was right the first time lol

--
    Warranty Information:
    This product carries a five (5) year limited warranty from your purchased date.

Warranty Period: Extended Warranty 5 Years
    Warranty Start On: 12/1/2014 7:04:38 AM
    Price Paid: 0
    Purchased On: 11/13/2014

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  9. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Just FYI: Asus policy is warranty starts from purchase date, and they will extend the warranty by 30 days past period. As a Customer Care rep, I could extend a warranty up to 90 days w/o managerial approval.

However, Customer Care no longer exists, and is now done by 3rd party contractor.

10. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    As a customer care representative you can extend warranty up to 90 days as an (guess not) act of good will (for faithful Asus customers for example), without a reason or you need a valid reason to be able to do that: RMA taking to long or something?

11. dabooga

dabooga Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    It sounds like it, but it is even confirmed on their website now. If what they are doing is unlawful, surely they wouldnt publish it on their site?

Thats excellent, I dont think Ive seen any other brand do this.

12. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Lol^ 290X ..............

Its a Nvidia 290X............. :banana:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  13. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    It was purely discretionary on the rep's part, and no reason needed to be given other than to close a case quickly and minimize customer anxiety. It was a tool in our arsenal to empower us to keep our customers' satisfied. RMA is not affected by delays, since the issue was reported within the warranty time frame.

14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    In my experience, warranty has always been by the date I purchased it. The only time serial number was used was when I had lost the bill. I did have a weird experience with the local Gigabyte distributor who tried to refuse the 3 year warranty on the card by saying it's only valid in Iran of all places lol. Reminding them of the law straightens them up in a second usually.

15. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Can't find it, where did you found that MSI's statement about warranty period starts from date when the product is manufactured? Imho that's agains the law, maybe manufacturers can get away with something like that in Third World Countries but in the rest of the civilized world things like this are well covered by state laws. Imho something fishy is going on in your local UK MSI's office...

Just to add this, it has nothing to do with this case of yours: local MSI's office here in Serbia is closed iirc some two or three weeks ago. My godfather (I know him for 20 years of something, he's not my real godfather but we call eachrother like that because he is brother of my best man) was general manager at MSI Serbia for years. Talked with him lots of times prior this and I really hope reason behind this closing is just a poor market like ours, people here are often buying cheapest stuff, even IT stuff from mid-range segment (not to talk about hi-end stuff) aren't affordable to most of the average Joe's here and it's a well known fact for years. State with it's VAT 20% also isn't helping, few years ago (iirc till the end of 2013) VAT on IT stuff was 8%, past 2.5 years with VAT 20% on IT stuff state of Serbia added one more nail in the cofin both for IT manufacturers, local IT importers/retailers and for citizens.

Maybe MSI is just having a hard time, really hope it's not true...

Here is the quote from global MSI site:
    https://www.msi.com/page/warranty-condition
    1.1 Calculation and basis of the warranty period:

• Warranty receipt: The valid invoice of your purchase as well as the warranty certificate attached to the Product (must be affixed by the store stamp) shall be provided for our warranty service. In case you cannot provide the aforementioned evidence, we will apply original shipping date of the Product as the beginning date of warranty period. The original shipping date will be judged based on the notebook's serial number (S/N).
    • Determination of the warranty period: The warranty period starts from the date you purchase the Product with valid invoice. If the last day of the warranty period is a national holiday, the following day shall be the last day of the warranty period.
    ^^^^ You do have a Pixmania's purchase receipt as a proof when and where from you bought that card?

If you do have a purchase receipt as a proof than in your case it looks like the Pixmania obeys the law but local UK MSI office is trying to get away with some non legit excuse.

^^^ This. State law is on the first place, customer on the second, manufacturer on third.

Nice to hear, that is how things should be done.

16. dabooga

dabooga Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    You've revitalized my anger towards MSI with this information, I should've looked closer.
    I will pressure them further now, thanks!

17. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    My 6970 died a few months ago after it caught on fire during use (appeared a solder failed and the voltage arced in a flame till I shut off the computer). Had XFX double lifetime warranty. Got it replaced quickly with no hassle. Pretty happy about it.

My 4870X2 died before that (twice), both times VRAM died.

Pretty sure if I ever have any choice in buying a video card I will always buy the one with the longest warranty. Just wish XFX kept their long warranty on all their cards.

18. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
  19. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli

Ever try to reflashing the card as a secondary card and have a good working video card in the primary slot???

This happened to my gtx 690 when I was modding the hell out of my gtx 690, The cause of the tremendous red blocks all over the screen was my memory + msi afterburner being turned on while windows comes up.

Apparently it was the bios that was hindering my memory overclock, even the slighest, it will flunk, now I am using another bios, I can overclock my memory so much higher it ain't funny.

I seriously thought my card was completely dead, I said let me try this one more time, got it to finally to work.

Card run's great at the speed to my left, I have gotten it to 1306mhz on the core(That is incredibly fast for this card/stock cooler) but doesn't seem all that stable on gpu2, it seems stable but soon as the gpu usage spikes to 100% out of nowhere's land, the gpu driver does the recovery thingy, so I had to back down the clocks for the time being.

I haven't use this card in a long time, was in my dad system, he's using my 2 gtx 970's, I am using this until I get the 2 1080's gigabyte xtreme edition.

Was looking into the amd pro duo for the hell of it, nice card but over 1499 usd? forget it, actually I was seriously looking into the fury x when it first came out, but soon as I heard it couldn't not overclock worth a darn, I backed away for a bit to see if it will improve when time goes by.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  20. dabooga

dabooga Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    Thanks for the info guys, I have sent MSI a scathing and legally grounded response, I look forward to their rebuttal.

Great brand in terms of performance, but I dont think I'll be purchasing MSI for my next purchase, a GTX 1080, EVGA or Asus for me now.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016