Review: Total War WARHAMMER DirectX 12 PC graphics performance

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 2, 2016.

1. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    They didn't send you your order? That's harsh... but yeah, I just found a thread with a workaround to enable SLI in it, might try that during the weekend. I just thought it would work since it's an AMD partnered game, dx12 is around the corner and all.

2. Kaotik

Kaotik Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    I find it curious that you think MLAA is "unfair" against GeForces, just because AMD implemented it in their drivers as forceable AA-option doesn't mean squat.
    Last time we got to compare the performance hit of MLAA, GeForces actually took less performance hit from it than Radeons did (Deus Ex)
    Also, since you think "MLAA is to AMD what FXAA is to NVIDIA", why can't I remember you calling every game with FXAA but no MLAA "unfair against Radeons"?

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    It feels a bit unfair because MSAA purposely was disabled/removed, which would have been the preferred applied anti-aliasing option. Hence AMD knows it is performing better, and probably worse with MSAA. I could be wrong here, but it certainly raised my eye-browses for me. Hey like I stated in the conclusion, this is how things go in 2016, it is what it is. AMD has the upper hand with clever optimizations in this game, good for them and everybody with Radeon cards.

4. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    The majority of 980ti owns do not OC there GPUs. That is true with all GPUs. Most of the posts here are advanced if not hardcore gamers. The 1070 well sell very nicely.

5. Kaotik

Kaotik Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    So how come you've used FXAA in several of your reviews, but haven't mentioned anything about it being "unfair advantage for NVIDIA", even though you think "MLAA for AMD is what if FXAA for Nvidia." and you see MLAA here as a bit unfair option?
    Didn't do thorough sweep of all reviews obviously, but at least in one case there was even MSAA option available (Crysis 3), yet you still went FXAA

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    FXAA's impact on performance is equal on both AMD and Nvidia. The article makes it sound like MLAA negatively impacts performance on Nvidia more than AMD and since there is no other option for AA he wanted to put a note in there regarding it.

I don't really see the issue. He disables Hairworks and stuff for the same reason in other benchmarks specifically because it favors Nvidia.

Also, if he had called out FXAA in Crysis 3 the same way he did MLAA here, would you have posted the same thing about not calling out MLAA in previous benchmarks?

7. Kaotik

Kaotik Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Last time I saw a game with MLAA (Deus Ex) NVIDIA actually took less hit from it than AMD.

Yet he doesn't disable FXAA even when he thinks it's the same for NVIDIA as MLAA is for AMD, and calls MLAA unfair.

If he had called FXAA unfair advantage in similar way in his previous reviews as he now did MLAA, no, I wouldn't have said anything about it.

The point being: He thinks MLAA is for AMD as FXAA is for NVIDIA, yet only MLAA is being called unfair advantage for AMD, while FXAA isn't called the same for NVIDIA, that just doesn't add up.

8. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Any idea when the DX12 patch is out?

9. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    No, you are nitpicking and zooming in on an argument just to win that argument. Feel free to think and express what you want. FXAA is optimized for both sides and both sides have an equal perf win these days. However MLAA, ... not so much. Just google MLAA and AMD a bit. The fact that MSAA was disabled and this enforcing merely MLAA is imho a little suspect and as such I mention it in the article. MLAA however works great, so kudos, top notch, thumbs up and hail mary there. But the fact remains that MSAA is disabled to enforce MLAA, and that is suspect period.

Anyway, I've said what I wanted to say on the topic. Everybody can think whatever they want about MLAA, I honestly do not care. I'm very much done getting sucked into these weird discussion on the forums where somebody agitated has to proof his/her point.

10. Aelders

Aelders Guest

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    I think it's supposed to release this month

No matter what you do, someone, somewhere, will find you guilty of something :p

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016

11. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    Any idea how this game runs in APU? I havent seen many test of APUs in DX12

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah, it's weird -- Microsoft made a huge deal about how great DX12 was going to be for integrated graphics, in terms of both power savings and performance. Yet, after the initial starwarm benchmark, we haven't heard a peep about it.

I guess the issue is that APU's aren't exactly the target demographic for Guru3D. I was hoping someone like Anandtech would do a DX12 review of them, but they can't seem to get anything out anymore.

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Meh..

Im still waiting for all those magic next gen u4e games and what not, so far only RoTR and Doom came a bit close to the word "nextgen", at least visually.

14. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    And Uncharted 4, Until Dawn, and The Order 1866, but they are console games and we shall not speak their names in here.

15. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    You mean 449 $ no ?

16. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    As Aelders says correctly all the time, AMD doesn't have an advantage under DX12, they have a disadvantage under DX11. The thing is that cards are sold with the DX11 performance in mind really. So your 980 is overpriced compared to the hardware it has vs a 390x/Nano, and when that hardware is fully utilized under DX12, the AMD cards pull ahead (which they SHOULD have done anyways under DX11, but they don't). It's a matter of pricing and expectations, more than the actual performance.

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    AIB are going to be $379. FE is $449.

18. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    My personal opinion is that all this is hot air. DX12 is too new and un-optimized to even begin a discussion like this.

I agree AMD was behind in DX11 performance and yet they still managed to compete.

You only need to look back @ DX9 - 9c and you'll understand that DX is an evolving software. At the moment we are at the very start of a new API and in no way can we make a judgement call on how it will end up.

I have a feeling that DX12 will go through many a stage in it's life and for all we know Nvidia and AMD will both get wins and losses along the way.

I highly doubt Nvidia will sit on it's hands while AMD takes an API lead, never going to happen, which is a good thing for us i suppose.

Right now the discussion is about DX12 but who knows what percentage of games will even use this API. For all we know maybe only 10% of future games will run on DX.

I have this feeling that most Devs will not want to work on an MS API and will instead go with an underdog like Vulkan.

19. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Nvidia dont want to promote DirectX 12 because they are not prepared for this API.

Untill Volta will come these single thread old farts (Maxwell & Maxwell 2-Pascal) will push only in Dx11 games.
    Sadly,but Nvidia is not a pioneer in gaming industry.

Well I want to see how they perform in Battlefield 1 (Dx12). :)

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Everything about this post is wrong.