Windows timer resolution tool in form of system service

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, Mar 23, 2013.

1. robintson

robintson Guest

GPU:
    Asus_Strix2080Ti_OC
    Hi, CPC_RedDawn.
    I have the solution for the Installation error (check service is working and I get "could not find specific path") that you got when trying to install the Set Timer Resolution with the Cyberdyne`s Full Package or with the script.
    You need to be logged in as an Administrator in Windows 7, 8 or 10. Also you need to turn off UAC in the control panel . Then try to Install the Second Version from Cyberdyne's Package.

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Since setting the timer resolution higher than the lowest 15.600 ms is said to use increasing amounts of power, I was thinking of another ways the service could operate since it's running all the time.

Maybe having the timer resolution at 15.600 ms but when a full screen exclusive mode is detected (3D games) it switches automatically to 0.500 ms, and back to 15.600 ms when exited. This is without having to state which processes it should run at 0.500 for, and setting it back to 15.600, not 1.000 ms where it is likely currently set. This of course, ignores the switching by some programs just like the current service keeps it at 0.500 ms.

The second thought is a variable timer, where it operates between 15.600 ms at idle to 0.500 ms in full screen exclusive mode when the CPU use is say, 70 percent or higher. Might seem kind of pointless, but it would be an interesting exercise. The final option is a hybrid of option 1 and 2, which basically makes it a toned down version of option 2 :).

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Well, if you know how to intercept full screen exclusive mode/3D engine usage from .Net code (even from usual unmanaged code) it can be tested.

But one problem - it is impossible to set timer resolution to 15.6 ms while any process did set resolution to any lower ms value.

4. turu1337

turu1337 Guest

GPU:
    nvidia gt630
    What's the diffrence between using this or usin "SetTimerResolution.exe" or Fidelizer?

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Only difference is the type of executable file - system service and usual application. They all call the same Windows API functions to manipulate the timer resolution.

6. heady

heady Guest

GPU:
    MSI HD5770
    Hey there everyone I just wanted to make a note that I tried your script and it all worked like a charm except that it decreases performance on FPS games imho. I don't know the reason that causes slow gameplay and fps drops, but that was my experience with the STR process. Keep it up

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Sorry to hear that. Script only installs service in OS. So you can delete service any time to check whether it helps with FPS.

8. heady

heady Guest

GPU:
    MSI HD5770
    Update on this one with WARNING:

I tried this kind of script again from lucashale which had it in a zip file and played CS:GO for a week with this EXE running in the background. The result was to get VAC banned. So don't ever load this while playing.

9. Pyrage

Pyrage Master Guru

GPU:
    580 CF@ 1470
    That's crazy. I've been using this for ages while playing online stuff on steam including CSGO and nothing ever happened.

10. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Same here.
    Never had a problem with games with VAC

11. heady

heady Guest

GPU:
    MSI HD5770
    Then maybe this might not be the case and I should look up what really caused the ban. I am also using cFosSpeed. Can this be it?

12. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Not a chance.
    I'm a cFoss user for about 9 years now. I have been using it as much as I have been using Steam.

13. Nastya

Nastya Member Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    This was actually confirmed by Valve - they banned around a thousand people who used timer tools, but have lifted all of the bans in the meantime. So you should be fine again.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  14. heady

heady Guest

GPU:
    MSI HD5770
    Confirmed: VAC BAN < TimerResolution

They just messed up and got us rekt for a whole 24 hours.

15. nicolaj

nicolaj Guest

GPU:
    I'm one of those "noobs" that used the pack from cyberdyne. But with hpet enabled and after installing the second version, it states that if successful the current timer should read 0.5 and it reads 1.0.
    Tried disabling hpet as i thought that might be the culprit. After boot current timer would read 15, and after starting the process manually it would read 1.0 and not 0.5. Not entirely sure if i'm doing something wrong.

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    HPET has nothing to do with system timer resolution. As for "1.0" vs "0.5" - whole thing is WinAPI. Code just asks WinAPI for a maximum possible resolution and then asks WinAPI to set returned value as a current resolution. Anyway it is no big difference. Do not bother.

17. nicolaj

nicolaj Guest

GPU:
    Ah, i see. I only did it because i thought it had to be 0.5. So even tho the difference was small, i assumed i had done something wrong.

18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Question is what do you want to achieve with maximum resolution?
    On my rig I found only one game which benefits from it - Deus Ex: Human Revolution (without maximum resolution it stutters).

19. nicolaj

nicolaj Guest

GPU:
    Not using it for any of that. I'm trying it because if have a latency problem, conflict or something between realtek and ndis.sys. Some have suggested this timer thingie might do something to help.
    That's also why i mentioned hpet, as that is also some sort of timer, i just thought they were related.
    http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/28578-random-stuttering-dpc-latency-nightmare.html

20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Well, from my understanding maximum timer resolution increases load to OS kernel (and CPU) due to increased number of timer interrupts (comparing 16 ms and 0.5 ms OS has 32 times more timer interrupts). And that increased load can make ISR and DPC latencies worse. But do not trust my words - just check for yourself.
    Maximum timer resolution can help certain programs which rely on system timer (i.e. badly coded).