CrossFire 'broken' in Witcher 3

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by RexOmnipotentus, May 31, 2016.

1. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I just installed the Blood and Wine expansion for the Witcher 3 and CrossFire is acting weird. I don't get good scaling in certain situations. Even in sections of the normal game, that worked perfect before.

It has something to do with the witcher medallion and stat bars. Disabling these two things in the HUD Configuration menu fixes the problem, but there will be no health bar on the screen.

Is any one else experiencing this problem?

I cannot wait to replace ****fire with a single card that is almost as powerfull as my two r9 290. I hope AMD will release something good in the near future. I'm sick of CrossFire to be honest.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  2. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    I absolutely agree about giving up on CF, I pretty much decided to postpone playing B&W until I upgrade despite owning the season pass. I suppose upgrading for me will mean 1 or 2 1080s, since Polaris seems to be way too slow for 4K and while I'm willing to give SLI a go, I definitely don't want to CF 2 slow cards.

3. ExtremeOC

ExtremeOC Guest

GPU:
    270x 1250mhz
    I couldn't agree more. Had been playing the game on ultra non stop for the last week after buying it and now today the fps tanks. Can't wait to buy Vega.

4. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    If crossfire worked before and it didn't broke because of driver update then.. you know... maybe, but maybe... is this issue with current game update/dlc update? In such case report it to cdprojekt red support, they will fix what they broke.

5. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    I doubt they "broke" something, I think it's far more likely that they changed/improved something about the graphics and AMD's old CF profile simply doesn't work well anymore and probably needs to be updated. I mean, it never worked well in the first place but it can always get worse. :)

Even when it worked "well" TW3 was a microstuttery mess if it ever dropped below the 60FPS limit.

6. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    The problem is that before i could always get 90/90 - 100/100 scaling. Now the health bar is causing a problem and i only can get 65/65 in some situations. Especially during fights it seems. The FPS dips from 60 to 40/45 FPS. It's still kinda playable for me, because of FreeSync.

7. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I want to keep using FreeSync, so Nvidia is no option for me.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  8. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    I love having FS too, but if I have to choose between smooth 60FPS with no FS (Pascal has "Fast Sync" aka triple buffering though, pretty decent) and drops under 60 with microstutter, but with FS, I'll go for smooth performance.

Playing TW3 at 60FPS maxed with 2 1080s will be better for me than dropping settings and still getting frame time spikes in the 30ms range when in the forest. And that's when CF was working "well" in TW3. 2 1080s are going to be expensive as all hell, but I'd give AMD that sort of money too if they actually had a competitive product in the same performance bracket and decent CF support.

9. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    they arent going to until vega.

10. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    Can confirm, it's broken across all modes.

SLI works until one enables physx, then comes the microstutter.

11. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    I'm aware, which is why I'm aiming for 1080s from the other team.

I can also confirm that the health bar causes terrible stutter in CF for me too. If I disable that it's actually a pretty smooth ~50-60FPS at 4K, it actually runs quite well and I would definitely play it like this. But I'd have to play without my health being visible, that's weird to say the least, though you can see your health in the inventory too.

12. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    No microstutter here

13. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    Vsync on?

14. jono24776

jono24776 Member

GPU:
    6900 XT
    Confirmed - stuttery mess with health bar on - much better with it disabled - question is do I go single card (35 - 40 ish fps @ 1440p but smooth (yay freesync) or try to play without health bar?

15. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Good news, disabling the minimap gives the same result as disabling the health bar.

So the health bar will remain on the screen, while the minimap is gone. I can live with that :p

EDIT: spoke to soon. Still a mess during combat. Health bar is clearly the problem here.

16. Garwinski

Garwinski Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX Fury X
    Same here, stutter, but when I disable the HUD, smooth as butter... Going to give the developers a rapport.

17. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    First person in this thread using brain.

I hope this problem will be fixed for you guys within next patch to the game.

18. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Lol, no reason to insult people. :p

19. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    I didn't insult anybody, i complimented him :p

20. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    Lol, it still glitches up with the HUD off.