DooM 4 Thread (Pt.1)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Xzibit, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aelders

Aelders Guest

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    I got two BSODs

2. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    I'm about 3 hours into this now (just past foundry) and I really, truly do not understand all the praise this game is getting. It's so boring and repetitive but the way people talk about it you'd think this was the second coming.

3. Aelders

Aelders Guest

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    Just depends what you're looking for, it plays amazingly well, the combat is fun, the level design is refreshing, graphically it looks great imo, the aesthetic as well fits the gameplay, and it runs incredibly well. It's just an extremely polished gameplay focused, no bull****, no frills singleplayer campaign.

4. Xuanzang

Xuanzang Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 7900 XTX
    Anyone else having sound issues, especially in the menu?
    I don't know how to explain it, it's part of the music and sounds static with parts of white noise. I upgraded my realtek drivers but that didn't help with the sound issue.

5. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    Its DOOM. It tried to be like the original by being the arcadey, run and gun type shooter it was famous for.

6. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Which was amazing 20 years ago. I think the lack of story is what's really boring to me. If I wanted to just shoot things in a game without a story I'd just play a multiplayer shooter.

7. Aelders

Aelders Guest

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    The absence of a story, although there is one, it just isn't focused on. There are very few cutscenes, it's a game that just wants to play well. Kind of like The Phantom Pain, gameplay takes center stage. I love it.

8. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    all i can say from what you wrote is that this game is not for u, so go play fallout 4 or witcher 3 as these seem to be ur game, otherwise this is one of the best shooter sp campaigns in the last 5 years, it doesnt get any better than this when it comes to down right single player focused game.

9. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Why so dismissive? Isn't this thread to discuss the game? I was just adding my 2 cents and bafflement that almost nobody feels the same way I do about this game.

And yes, Witcher 3 for sure is my kind of game, I love it. Fallout 4 not so much, another repetitive and boring game IMO.

As for shooter campaigns in the past 5 years, Advanced Warfare and Halo 5 were so much more entertaining than this.

All these comments about how this is gameplay focused don't make much sense to me either. I don't find the gameplay to be particularly different than any other shooter.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  10. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I think the fact that you said you prefer Advanced Warfare says a lot.
    While it is one of the better CoD released, it's still... pretty forgettable and uninspired.

And, I didn't see ramthegamer's post as dismissive. He stated what I thought when I read your post as well.
    It just doesn't seem like your thing.

Personally, I agree with him. DOOM is one of the best single player FPS games in years.

11. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    I'm just trying to understand why barely anyone feels the same way about it. It baffles me in the same way pop music does.

12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Well they suddenly stopped for me. Could play another 2hrs without interruptions.

13. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Probably... because from what I've seen, most everyone else absolutely loves the game. I've finished the campaign twice, and still love playing it.

14. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    new 82MB patch???

Vulken.... it can't be??

15. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    by the way, i have installed in the programs and features 3 versions of vulkan libraries, i don t know how these came to be installed on my pc, but here they are, 1.0.5.1 /1.0.8.1 /1.0.1.1/ does anyone have these installed?

16. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    are you serious, ""ädvanced warfare" lol, well this confirms it to me that your taste is elsewhere and u just said that witcher 3 is your thing, so please play that game and don t give opinions about other genres that just aren't your type of games and leave it to the FPS enthusiasts.

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
  18. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Lol don't give an opinion on a game I've played? So this is the Doom circle jerk thread then? No criticism allowed?

And FYI am a FPS enthusiast, just mostly in the multiplayer side of things. I've logged hundreds of hours in BLOPS3 multiplayer and I've been super into Overwatch. My FPS love goes all the way back to UT multiplayer (and I did like Doom, 20 years ago). Single player generally just seems boring/pointless unless there's a story attached, which was good in things like Advanced Warfare. If there's not a good story involved in it then I'd rather just be playing a multiplayer game.

19. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    They're installed by the Nvidia driver.

Btw, my mate who's got an i5 750 + GTX970 can play the campaign fine, runs good, but, multiplayer doesn't start, just black-screen and loading icon spinning. The beta worked for him, anyone else have this problem?

20. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    That says a lot about why you dislike this game.
    The MP here is completely throw away garbage. This game is all about the campaign. And, here, there is actually a really deep, well crafted story... but, it plays heavily in the background.
    And, the Doom Marine... simply does not give a **** about it.

Personally, I hate Overwatch. Everything about it just... bleh. And, AW, while one of the better CoD titles... the story is still pretty damn cliche and typical.

This DOOM is all about the combat, mobility... story is there, and as I said above, it's actually very well crafted. But, it's a side element. Something pushed to the back seat so you can focus on the blood and chaos.

Really, you are not the target audience for this game. Sad as it may be, but... it's just how it is.
    I'm not the target audience for the Battlefield series. I love FPS games, it's my favorite genre... but... to hell with MP. So, I stay away from that series... and any other FPS game that focused completely on MP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.