Tips for my new i7 6700k build? (pic warning)

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Stormyandcold, May 23, 2016.

1. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Hi guys, I'm at the component selection stage of my budget i7 6700k build, here's a pic of it;

[​IMG]
    pic host

I'd especially like to hear from others using the Asus Z170 Pro Gaming motherboard and your thoughts about it and any tips and tricks or even better alternatives within similar price-range.

Also, general thoughts etc welcome. You will notice there's no graphics card for this build, yet, as I'm waiting for reviews and pricing for GTX1070.

Cheers guys!

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Is the third party thermal paste necessary over the stuff included with that cooler?

3. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I think it's like 4x better thermal conductivity. Could save some money there though I guess.

4. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I'm happy with my Z170 Pro Gaming. A friend of mine built a computer using it at the same time and he's been happy as well, as far as I know.

I have to note two things, though, concerning the mobo: The very first thing you absolutely need to do is to flash the latest bios. It's quite possible you'll fail memory tests without it (depending on how old a mobo you get from the shop). Your PC might even fail to post with both memory modules installed with an old bios version. Happened to both me and my friend. Sticking in just a single module and updating the bios solved the issue and allowed installing both of them.

Since the bios flash solves issues, I don't see any reason not to recommend the mobo. I reckon lots of the complaints regarding this mobo (and many other DDR4 mobos) you see all around the net are due to inexperienced system builders not realising updating the bios can be a matter of life and death.

5. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUFF 3080 12Gb
    i luv ur build, I have similar mITX , but I would recommend you get more than 16gb. today even 16gb is not enough for me.

6. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    You're right, I'm finding when I'm doing research and have loads of web-pages and 1 youtube video open I'm running out of memory. I will have to upgrade later on though as I've got to stick to my budget. Good call though.

7. sunnyp_343

sunnyp_343 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG GTX 1080
    OMG 20% vat?I thought my country was the bad ass in taxes.but now i can relief.

8. riot83

riot83 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    I would definitely suggest that Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. It is awesome stuff. I was an avid Noctua NT-H1 user for years. Few months ago I ran out of my latest NT-H1 and ordered the Kryonaut stuff just to see if there's any reason for their high ass price. I was actually blown away.

My GTX 970 would thermal throttle always when under full load, no matter the OC. First I changed the original Zotac paste with NT-H1, it was a lot better than the original stuff. It would take a lot longer for the card to hit the thermal limit. So after buying the Kryonaut I'm able to max out my OC(1490 boost, past 1500 I start to get artifacts no matter the voltages) and the card doesn't thermal throttle any more. It does come withing a degree or two, but I've never seen it hit the limit I've set at 82.

For the CPU it was a bit better than the NT-H1 also. Few degrees lower idle temp and about 6 degrees(Celcius) lower full load.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Most thermal pastes will be within 2-4C of each other. Anything higher than that is an application issue.

I've personally tested and compared AS3, AS5, MX-2, MX-3 (discontinued), MX-4, TX-2, Ceramique, Swiftech paste, EK paste, Cooler Master pastes, Antec pastes and a handful of other silver, copper and silicone based pastes. The largest difference I've ever seen has been 4C and if that is enough to cause a thermal issue, you need to invest time and money into proper case cooling. In most cases, the performance of the thermal compound is negated by the ability of the thermal solution to absorb and sufficiently dissipate the heat. The thermal solution has to be able to absorb heat at a rate greater than or equal to the heat transfer rate of the thermal compound, which is never the case, otherwise we'd have CPU's and GPU's running at room temperature.

My 970 has never throttled....lol Zotac must use some crap coolers....or cheap silicone paste.

10. riot83

riot83 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    Yeah I don't know wtf is up with this Zotac cooler. It's a 3 slot beast(2 fans), but it just doesn't cool for crap. Found a thread somewhere a while back where everyone who had the card was bitching about the cooler sucking. Also they have a 106% powerlimit....

11. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Spec of PC looks good,but I would add extra 16GB RAM,extra 16GB will cost around £70 or less,depends on makers and speed

I bought 2x16GB Corsair LPX 2400MHz for £90 few days ago

Regarding CPU cooler,please check Scan website,they have good selection of CPU coolers and most of the time I'm buying Thermalright for air cooling and paste,I'm using only ShinEtsu paste,used this paste on all my builds and currently using this paste too

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

12. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Not sure if you've ordered yet, but RPGamesplayer has that motherboard for sale in the for sale section, only £50. Might be worth PM'ing him to see if he still has it.

Thermal paste, while Thermal Grizzly is awesome I tend to use Kyronaut for Extreme OC as its not really needed for 24/7 rigs, so you could go for something £5-10 cheaper there and not really notice much of a difference in temps.

As for adding another 16GB, per advice above, I really don't see the point in buying another 16GB its £70 more and won't give you much of anything. If however later on down the line for some reason you are using all 16GB then popping in another 16GB later is a very easy upgrade, no point in wasting the money.

Good idea to wait for the 1070, it'll be cheaper and probably perform around 980Ti levels, it'll be an awesome performer even at 1440p if you game at that res.

13. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
    cheers buddy

14. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Thanks for the heads-up guys. No, I've ordered nothing yet. I've been doing further research for mobo last few days tbh as this part is critical for me and my research is pointing me to the Gigabyte gaming 7 board.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...cket-1151-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-526-gi.html

BTW, I have other places to get some of the stuff, but, having it all in 1 pic is easier to manage.

Gonna keep researching until I pull the trigger, cheers.

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Yeah, weird... He said he almost reaches 82C on that 970 even after repasting. My 970 ran for a year and a half at 1500mhz and most of the time it gamed at mid 60C. Some more demanding games pushed it to near 70C.

Zotac coolers are good man, I have the AMP! 980ti and it maxes out at just over 70C, most games sit well bellow 70C though. Something wrong if he's hitting 80C on that 970, for sure.

16. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    Well if bought a pretty much identical system this week bar the motherboard being the Z170-Pro with white shroud and an extra 16gb vengeance set. So far I'm very happy with the results if that's any consolation.

17. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Personally I wouldn't touch Gigabyte,in my case I've went with X99 UD4 which has been bit disappointment(didn't supported OOB 16GB RAM module and Xeon which I've),then I've went with Asus which supported my Xeon,but didn't supported 16GB RAM module and at the end bought ASRock which is pretty much awesome board,supports ECC and few other bits

If budget allows there I would go with Asus without the questions,have owned several Asus board and all of them been faultless,have owned two Gigabyte and both failed

I would check PCPartpicker,I usually buying everything like in CCLonline or Scan

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

My older GTX780 JetStream has been coolest GPU to the date,idle has been in 22C and on load 55C with 35% fan profile,that's not in gaming,but in rendering with IRAY or Octane Render,LuxRender

Current Titan X SC has run very hot at 82-90C in rendering,switched to AIO and temps dropped and noise too(replaced stock EVGA fan for BeQuiet Pure Wings fan)

Thanks,Jura

18. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Cheers guys. RPGgamesplayer had a good offer for the Asus Pro Gaming so I've now bought all the parts as per the original picture except the memory modules are red.

Hopefully can get it built this week and see how it runs.

19. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I've now built-it (minus cable management). I'm loving it. Gotta give a shout-out to Acronis True Image which I used to clone my laptop hard-drive and put straight into new build.

Updated bios from 0703 to 1206 and now my memory runs properly with XMP at 3200mhz. Nice. Played some CSGO at 1920x1200 everything low, very good except in the smokiest firefights, otherwise 100fps+ with latest .4444 intel beta drivers.

As for the build, the heat-sink install was fine, although, did piss me off some, harder than my old i5 750 build, but, works fine, lows of around 22-23C, highs of 62C after gaming. Bios controlled fans, case fans 3rd notch/max. Very quiet system, nearly perfect.

The worst thing about this build is the cabling that came with the power-supply. This Silverstone Strider is supposed to be a top-quality product (80+ Titanium Rated). It is. It's well packaged, comes with fan filter, but, when it comes to the cabling, no bro, this is a disaster.

Who the f* chose these old school "ribbon" style power cables needs to be shot. Even the connectors don't give a satisfactory click. I would've been perfectly happy paying an extra £10-15 for braided/rounded cables and quality connectors, but, these guys don't do their product any favours at all. They've still got a few things to learn from other companies regarding cabling.

Overall, a good build experience with the HD530 really suprising me. Star of the show was Windows 7 Ultimate though, cloned drive working in new pc without re-install is such a life saver. Awesome.

Only bad thing to mention was because I have no DVD drive in this build, I had to copy the Asus install disc onto my laptop and then via esata, copy that data onto the cloned drive because USB ports by default on the mobo only seemed to recognise keyboard and mouse, nothing else would detect properly, not even external disc-drive or usb stick. After that I uninstalled the laptop drivers/software, removed Nvidia and Intel drivers with DDU and then everything started working properly with the proper drivers. After that I went online and grabbed all the latest updates/drivers once I knew system was ok.

Haven't reinstalled windows in 3yrs now and now the same install is running on my new setup, long live W7.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  20. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    I would check amazon for the same items, you normally can find them far cheaper, plus any problems amazon is far better to deal with them OCUK.