GPU for photo / video editing

Discussion in 'Videocards - Intel ARC & ARC Driver section' started by wtbarms, May 20, 2016.

1. wtbarms

wtbarms Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 fe
    Hi All,

My wife is a semi-pro photographer (weddings, etc). I decided to surprise her with an upgrade to her old 1080p asus monitor to a decent 4k monitor (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014450&cm_re=BL2711U-_-24-014-450-_-Product). Sadly, the 560ti in her machine doesn't have DP1.2 or HDMI 2.0.

The main uses of the machine are:

* Lightroom CC (now has GPU acceleration!).
    * Photoshop CC
    * Corel VideoStudio Pro
    * Sims 3, Peggle, and a few other things a potato could run :)

In the past it seems that GPUs were not nearly as important in photo / video editing as the the CPU/RAM. The rest of her system is up to spec for what she does, but I am wondering what the ideal GPU for this would be? If it was a gaming rig you could make that call in about 10 seconds ;), but this one is a bit beyond me.

Would a 750 ti be passable or do you want something with a bit more power and/or vram? I'm open to both AMD or NVidia.

Thanks!

2. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    GTX 960 would be great.

3. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Depends,Photoshop or Lightroom will benefit from good GPU with OpenCL as there is more and more used,some plugins are still using CUDA..

You need to decide which will be best,but usually for OpenCL I would go with AMD something like is R9 390 or 390x will fit bill nicely or I would wait on Polaris with which you will have much better performance in OpenCL

In past I've used and using in OSX AMD R9 290 or 390X where AMD have still best OpenCL when I'm comparing that against Titan X

Regarding Corel VideoStudio Pro,I know previous or earlier version supported CUDA,not sure on new releases

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

4. wtbarms

wtbarms Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 fe

Awesome. Thanks! That is exactly the type of information I was looking for.

I think for the time being I am going to put in a 380X and see what Polaris is like down the road. (390/290 require a PSU upgrade that I don't want to rewire for. :() I can pick one up locally for a little under $150 USD.

5. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Some plugins like Blur Gallery and some others still use CUDA for processing pictures,same can apply too for Premiere Pro or After Effects where some renders using mostly CUDA too,when you will be using those plugins/renderers then you will be not harnessing power of GPU but you will be using CPU for processing

380X should be great card in many aspects,but still I would wait on Polaris GPU which should be good upgrade if you want to down to road

In therm of monitor,I wouldn't go with 4k if yes then I would have look on something which does have Adobe RGB and is wide gamut monitor,I've previously owned 4k monitor although TN based,but still I hated that monitor

IPS based monitor I would always choose for Photoshop works and graphics,have look on korean monitors which offer great colors and they're OC and mostly they all usually use great displays but sadly not in 4k

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

6. wtbarms

wtbarms Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 fe
    Hah. Funny story. I had her check one out to make sure a 4k would work for her last night and the DPI was too high for her liking. I am having her run with my QNIX @1440p for a while to see how she likes it. I did pick up the 380X for close to 100USD and can return it for up to 90 days if Polaris comes out looking great.

7. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    4k personally I like,DPI this depends on SW used,in some SW you can change DPI to liking,what I hate some panels which are in 4k monitors...

4k is not for everyone and 1440 is good resolution to work,I've right now two 1440p monitors,bought for now AOC then I will be getting QNIX or Crossover monitors

That's very good price for 380x and regarding Polaris,should be announced during Computex I think

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

8. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7800 XT
    :confused:

So let me guess....you now have a new video card and a 4k monitor for your system?

9. Sizzor

Sizzor Guest

GPU:
    4 GB
    If you are on a budget as 4K screens are expensive i will suggest GTX 950, Rx460 or RX470 if you can extend your budget.

10. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    go for 1060 or 1050