ASUS teases Pascal mobile with a 3DMark 11 score

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 20, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    And that score is mighty good, maybe even too good for a single GPU ? On the ROG website they posted an entry called 'The Future of Gaming Laptops - A glimps'. Now nothing is confirmed, but that has...

ASUS teases Pascal mobile with a 3DMark 11 score

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    That graph axis. The marketing is so strong.

Honestly not that unbelievable. They managed to shove a full GTX980 into a laptop. A 1070 is supposedly faster then a Titan X and will probably come in at 145-150w, 15-20w lower then a 980. So if they shove that into a laptop, boom done.

All you need to do after that is make some graphs where bars are twice as long as others despite being less then a few % apart and you become ASUS.

3. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    We've been discussing this over on NotebookReview forums and we've come to the conclusion it's a GTX 1080 in there. The Graphics Score of 34000 suggests that it's the GTX 1080 (seems like it could even be a smidgeon faster than the GPU scores I've seen for the 1080 too, which is weird). That whole rubbish with that messed up graph cutting off the X-axis and also showing the P Score just confuses matters tremendously, I do hate it when reviews do both of those things - it's nonsense! That's why you think it's the 1070, I mistakenly thought the same thing at first.

4. Phyxsyus

Phyxsyus Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Honestly I have no idead how you jumped to the conclusion that this is a pascal 11 GPU. Everything points to a GTX 1080m. I feel lost... :3eyes:

5. MainFrame Alpha

MainFrame Alpha Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX 980 TI
    on the ROG page they mention new strix series Gaming line-up and a laptop under the name ROG Strix GL502.
    check the PR all specs there except the GPU.
    maybe this is it?
    despite what you think about asus, if the benchmark is true and its actually got pascal in it is think its darn impressive.
    maybe not the GL502VT it got the GTX 970M.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  6. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    "Pascal 11 GPU" you say, you're getting confused with Polaris 11? The 3DMark11 GPU score of 34000 is massive, the P score is a lot lower due to the laptop CPU - that's why the P-Score is only on the same level as that of the Titan X example in the graph, the desktop CPU is more powerful. They're a really confusing set of graphs that Asus have chosen, so it's confusing everyone. The Graphics score of 34000 as seen in the 3DMark11 screenshot is above or equal to that of the GTX 1080 - it's a GTX 1080 in that laptop, not a 1080M at any rate.

(Here's a link to a review of the GTX 1080 where you can see the Graphics Score in 3DMark11, it got 29418 points, whereas the Asus laptop got 34000, so it's at least a GTX 1080 in that laptop: http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/nvidia-gtx-1080-graphics-card-review/6/)

EDIT: or it could just be GTX 980 in sli in a laptop - but that would be VERY boring! (as it's been done before already & is not news).

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  7. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Mobile, huh? It might even run long enough to get a 3DMark score before depleting the battery if you unplug it from the wall.

8. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Haha, don't ever unplug it, not if you want the card to run at full clocks! Mobile gaming is more like static gaming in various places - AC required!

9. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    That is not SLI, will be a single GPU

Definitely expect a mobile GPU as fast as a Titan-X

10. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    I've been wanting a good gaming laptop since the very start of my gaming life, but always been put off by the in-superior performance compared to a self built gaming desktop pc ,could something like this be the one ,it's not going to be cheap that i do know.

I will just have to tell the wife and kids sorry folks,, no holiday this year dad has blown his load on a nice lappie .

11. Phyxsyus

Phyxsyus Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Yeah... I still have no ideia how they jumped to a conclusion that it's pascal if even in the graph shows "GXXX" hinting a GTX... This article is pretty confusing to me since even polaris 10 is not supposed to trade jebs with high end nVidia cards but with mid range... Just wishfull thinking from the article writer I gues...

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Huh? Pascal is GTX. Polaris is AMD. Pascal is Nvidia.

13. Phyxsyus

Phyxsyus Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Sorry for the confusion, what I meant was...
    It's really improbable that the GPU listed by asus is a polaris GPU... Most likely a 1080 or 1080m, I don't think we'll be seeing that kind of performance from AMD until the Vega launch.

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    ? No one in the thread said it was Polaris. Nothing in the article said it was Polaris. You are the only person saying it's Polaris lol

15. Phyxsyus

Phyxsyus Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Damn... I just realized that, my eyes fooled me. I'm not even high or drunk... Must be tired... LOL
    Sry about that!

16. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    It's cool n all, but, this is probably new mxm slot only so us old mxm users are out.

I love laptop gaming, but, it's just too expensive for high-end atm. I'm going back to desktop.

17. Xionor

Xionor Member

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 560Ti 1GB
    Either a normal 1070 or a 1080M.

1080 is quite ahead of TitanX and the 3DMark show the GXXX is just a tiny tiny bit ahead of the Titan X. Nvidia has shown on their graphs the 1070 being in the same ballpark as 980Ti and TitanX too so it might just be it. Either that or a cut down 1080 , aka 1080M.

18. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    It's the Graphics Score you want to look at in the 3DMark11 screenshot - it shows 34K Graphics Score (not talking the P-score here). That 34K is a smidgeon more than any Graphics Score I've seen for the GTX 1080, so it's at least a 1080 in that laptop. The stupid graph showing the laptop equal to a Titan X is only showing the P-score, which is a combination of GPU & CPU performance, and because laptops have weaker CPUs than desktops then this is bringing the P-Score down - the GPU solution in that laptop is more powerful than a Titan X by quite a bit, that graph doesn't show that fact.

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I had three gaming notebooks. Graphics moved from 20 to 25, and to 50W. CPU moved from 25 to 25, to 45W.

Things got bigger, heavier and lasted less on battery. And even with bigger cooling, working temperatures got higher and noise increased.
    While I think that up to 100W GPU can be put into notebook, I do not like Blower type desktop GPU noise simulator. Nor fact that it is no longer notebook, but mobile workstation.

And prices... 1st one I got at time when mobile gaming was not exactly a thing and did cost $1800, 2nd was in golden age of mobile gaming and did cost $1100. Last one came at around $2200 price tag.
    Since then prices for mobile GPUs got only higher.

I do not see myself throwing another $2000+ on notebook any time soon, especially since I do not want to compromise usability with 100W+ GPU.

If anything, I'll go for APU as there one has control over power consumption and is fully capable to play most of games in decent details once screen size is taken into consideration.

20. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    I feel like the entire desktop lineup might be mobile already, a single power connector for 1080? pff, at least they are improving performance unlike intel

it wouldn't surprise me if the 1060 didn't have a peg at all