The GTX 1080 thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by bugsixx, May 7, 2016.

1. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    PCPER stated fast sync might be supported on maxwell & kepler but NV TOM said PASCAL will support fast sync hardware coordination.

2. Babio

Babio Guest

GPU:
    980M 4GB
    Aren't The results are just impressive, Considering tar
    These are early drivers, dx12 is Not utilized properly, and past games used to benchmark are not taking fully taking advantage of Pascal? Just an amateur thought

3. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    OK, so, lower performance, older node cards, are currently selling for $550-700 (980Ti) and the Fury X, ~$650. Right?

I'm still not understanding all the price whining, especially from all you guys with your (once) $600-$700 cards. The top enthusiast card is almost always $700, if not approaching that. Been like this for over a decade now. This is going to be the new top card. Oh, wait, the 1080 doesn't say "Ti" in the name so it must be overpriced? Is that it or did I miss something?

This is going to be $700, then $600, and eventually it'll be around $500. Does that price sound familiar? It should as that's what a 980 sells for. At that point (6-9 months from now or sooner, as an answer to AMD) the 1080Ti will get released... at what price? You guessed it. $700.

A little release date pricing history:

X1900XTX ($650) (2006)
    GTX8800 ($600) (2006)
    GTX8800 Ultra ($800+!) (the first Titan)
    GTX 280 ($650) (2008)
    GTX 480 ($500)
    GTX 580 ($500)
    GTX 680 ($500)
    HD7970 ($550)

We could go on and on, but this price isn't unusual at all for the top, current card. The only time we see the 500-550 pricing at the high end is when there is actual competition at the high end. AMD has no answer so here we are. If anything, pricing ire should be directed at AMD for dropping the ball.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  4. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    The more i think of it, the more it feels pretty lame from Nvidia to showcase this 2114Mhz card, the way they shown it was like "oh wait, let just check the card frequency".
    This really let us think it was easy, and even average, to achieve such level of overclocking.

While actually, the 1500Mhz of 980-Ti/Titan-X seems to be the 2050Mhz of Pascal, and only a few card will go beyond that.

5. WeSbO

WeSbO Guest

GPU:
    Fury X stock
    It will not, the 980ti released 9 months ish after the 980 was at +100$ msrp. The 1080ti "reference founders edition" will release at 799$, 150$ more than the 980ti. the 980 released at an msrp of 549$, the founders edition 1080 has a 150$ higher msrp.

Now what I'm curious to see is what 1080 will really be available at 599$, I don't even think that they will release the "standard" blower type heatsinks at 599$, if the gpus like gigabytes windforce (not g1) release at 699$ that would be ok, still more expensive though just not as much

Not to talk about the € prices either those are just stupid 250€ more than the 980 msrp ...

This card is not the Pascal flagship gpu, it's high middle tier !

People are ok with the premium price because they are comparing to the 980ti which is a higher tier in the Maxwell range compared to the Pascal range, they have just upped the price of each tier by invoking that they don't want to be competitive towards their partners, That's just a false pretext, did they really sell that many reference gpus compared to their partners ? I really doubt that. If they didn't want to take sales away from their partners they would allow them to release their cards on the same day, or even release after.

In my part of the world (and the US) for example the reference 980tis are more expensive and have been for quite sometime, because people don't buy reference designs except for on launch day and those who want to be able to watercool their cards sooner, and shops stop stocking them.

Prices of the Maxwell cards have stayed pretty stable during their lifetime and only started going down in price since mid april.

This is actually the most expensive reference design x80 gpu Nvidia have ever released

6. WeSbO

WeSbO Guest

GPU:
    Fury X stock
    Well the 1080 advantage is mostly due to higher clock than the 980ti due to node process (the 1080 does have half the die size of a 980ti), and not so much due to architecture differences which is a shame... You should able to extrapolate the difference inbetween the 980 and the 980ti and apply it to the 1080 compared to the 1080ti and you should fall quite close to reality, which should be actually quite good.

The thing that bothered me was the 9tflops annouced, isn't the case but not far off and showing off a card (apparently not cherry picked) running a 2.1+ ghz and running at 67°, I have yet to see them running at 67° at that speed, more like 82° yes... Don't know what wizardry that had going on there lol well yeah I do they had the fan at 100% which in itself isn't a lie but does not represent normal use either...

7. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    9tflops easy the card pretty much boosts to 1766+ so that breaks the 9tflop barrier. Of course non boost clock is 1607 which is around 8.2tflops. :D

But that cooler was never gonna keep it as cool. It is different looking but seems to be on par with 780 vapor chamber cooler. Maybe they had few big fans cooling the card down from the side in the back room ;D

8. bugsixx

bugsixx Guest

GPU:
    x
    After the benches my hype kinda went down, I will wait for amd vega in october, the big pascal should be around same time also.

9. WeSbO

WeSbO Guest

GPU:
    Fury X stock
    Well going off their chosen 1733 boost clock it's 8.8, ok not far off but not 9, of course it will do more than 9tflops. Just a small marketing lie that bothers me, I don't agree with rounding off numbers lol. Rounding off numbers got us a 3.5gb 970 with an approximate memory bandwidth, though in the case of the 1080 this little lie isn't a major problem. From a marketing stand point I would have personally wrote 8.8 tflops minimum or 8.8 tflops and above.

The 980ti had the vapor chamber also, nothing really groundbreaking, old tech in a new shroud

10. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    huge performance gain in 4K resolution compared to 980GTX, 2x as fast compared to 980GTX. Even in 1080p resolution with demanding scenario (forest in witcher 3) cards like 980GTX avg 35 fps, while 1080GTX 70fps, so it's first card that can max out witcher 3 in 1080p, just amazing performance :).

11. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    I think that one is false even on my system @ 1920x1080 with witcher 3 i can get more then 60 fps odd.

And thats even with hairworks on.
    Probably has to do with stock reference gtx 980 ti.

[​IMG]

12. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    You should know something about pclab.pl tests, they ALWAYS choose 2 scenarios, the most damanding scenario, and typical scenario. Even before this pclab benchmark some 980ti users alraedy metioned, that witcher 3 can drop to 45fps maxed out in just 1080p, so I'm not surprised seeing that benchmark scores.

[​IMG]
    As you can see, this benchmark from typical scenario shows much better results

[​IMG]
    And here's previous demanding scenario, but with OC results

13. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Again, you can thank AMD for that.

When there is competition, the prices are better. If the roles were reversed, you can bet your wallet AMD would be bending us over the barrel too. They've done so in the past.

Still confused as to how the pricing is so surprising given the performance and it's current standing. When a Ti gets released, the pricing will settle. As it stands, this is the high end GPU, it's not merely upper middle class when it trumps everything else on the market nor is it upper middle class because we know something better will eventually get released. There's always something better coming. It's the best right now. We haven't even seen the AIB boards yet which will surely come in many nice flavors.

Why would nvidia sell it for less than the cards it outperforms for the 6-9 months or so that it will likely have that advantage? Good will towards gamers? You guys are adorable.

Besides, the 1070 is coming too which is likely to be almost 980Ti performance for about half the price. Seems fair.

14. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    As comparison, my 980-Ti at 1520Mhz pulls out 8.050 TFlops according to AIDA64

15. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    When new cards are released then you would logically expect the older models to have their prices dropped. That makes older hardware better value which in turns means they are more likely to sell. It also allows for the new tech to be released at the price of the previous high-end model, which makes sense since the older one is no longer the fastest card!

At the moment it seems like NVIDIA are just driving the price up each year and no more is it obvious than with this year's Founder Edition model that will cost $100 for no more reason than it is a reference design. All previous NVIDIA cards have been Founder's Edition in effect and they did not carry a $100 premium! :bang:

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    All previous reference edition cards also left the market after a few months and never returned, allowing the AIB's to adjust prices accordingly and make money on their aftermarket cards. The founders edition card is being sold over the duration of the product now though. So how do they do that and not completely screw their partners? The answer is you set the price so high that it won't compete.

The problem with that though, is that in the past the reference edition was the baseline MSRP and it effectively forced the AIB's to enter the market around that. With it gone, the AIB's can effectively do whatever the hell they want.

I guess the solution, if Nvidia want's to continue offering the Founders Edition, is to set the FE edition at a lower price point when the cards launch, then raise it over time and perhaps just educate people why. That way people who, for whatever reason, still want the FE edition can buy it down the road -- but it also serves to keep the AIB partner prices in check.

17. Mugsy

Mugsy Guest

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Pulse
  18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It's 283 watts for the whole system...

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080/24.html

Peak power consumption is actually lower then a 980 and gaming power is the same as a 980.

19. darrensimmons

darrensimmons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX4090AMPEXT
    For me it's not quite the jump I would be looking for to upgrade from 980ti sli to a single 1080.

20. WeSbO

WeSbO Guest

GPU:
    Fury X stock
    Oh it's AMDs fault ... lol, So you do admit that there is a pricing problem then if it is AMDs fault. Can't have it both ways.

If your pricing method was applied we would be buying GPUs for 5000$ today... But Darren Hodgson explained it well.