Review: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Founders edition graphics card

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 17, 2016.

1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    MSRP for Founders edition EUR 789 is insane, it will probably cost €850 at least then :(
    Sure you have a founders edition, they should atleast give a truckload of games with it imo.

2. C-Power

C-Power Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 White
    Why does this upgrade bug always bite me when I clearly said to myself to hang on to my 980ti till 1080 ti/titan... sigh.

Very nice review, I guess there really is no point to ditch my ~1500mhz 980ti just yet, but it is rather tempting cause you know... I've had it for nearly a year and feels "old" XD

Must..... defeat.... upgrade.... virus

3. gUNN1993

gUNN1993 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 Windforce 3
    Best thing about having such an old card, is that whoever loses, I win

Don't think I want to pay much more than 500 gbp for the non fe though so Deon ugly waiting till end of June to look at the 1070

4. kinggavin

kinggavin Guest

GPU:
    gtx 980TI super jetstream
    as expected the blower cooler hits usual 80c at full load blower coolers should be basic price , a very shrewd move from nvidia add $100 they know people love that big green GEFORCE logo hehehe, , its basically $600 for a gtx 1080 $725 for gtx1070 sli and gtx 1070 sli will be fast

5. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Excellent review as always Hilbert , well done. The card is a great card no doubt about it , a good upgrade for those on GTX 970 / R9 390X and below. Now the truth is nvidia is getting really . really greedy , it's all about moarrrr and moarrrr money !!!. To jacked up the price $100 dollars for a reference design it was a very stupid move and i agree with you on that Hilbert , that's a fail on their part , bad business practice i say :/ . Founders Edition ( Reference Design ) for $700 no Thank you. AIB partners will come up with some serious re-designs of this video card as i already know they will be an eVGA Klngpln Edition with a Beefed up VRM and power delivery and a wayy more efficient better cooler ( a little birdie told me so ;) ) . so my reccomendation for the guys who want this GTX 1080 video card wait a bit a get an aftermarket GTX 1080 and Not the Reference design that will cost you $100 more for what ???. Overclocking wise we need to wait to see the full potential , until proper tools are available and the AIB partners Overclockers edition are out there. One thing i did noticed the clocks scaling does not relate to the performance when compared to the GTX 980Ti , meaning it does not scale with higher clocks as well as the GTX 980Ti did , the 980Ti in fact perform a lot better and scale very well with high overclocks , the same cannot be said about the GTX 1080.

OMG WTF :eek: !!! It's all that i'm thinking when i read about 3 way and 4 way SLI :eek3: , so now you might need to pay money to get a key to unlock the features on the bios of your graphics card in order to run 3 way and 4 way SLI ??? Moaaarr and moaarrrr money nvidia said !!! And with no official support and optimizations from nvidia for 3 way and 4 way is already dead on the water. So we get to also buy a new HB SLI bridge for 2 way SLI :confused: Moarrr money Moarrr money Nvidia said !!!

I like the new technologies and this new cards but as we can see Nvidia is getting waayyy too greedy and wants to milk all of us until the last dollar falls out of our pockets into their company :mad2:. This is where i will draw the line and will stop supporting this kind of business practice. This GTX 980Ti will be my last Ngridia card for a long time to come , bring up Big Volta i say :D , and if AMD start been Gredy like nvidia i will stop gaming on PC completely , this is my personal opinion , i am not a fanboy of neither AMD or Nvidia , i hope there is light at the end of the tunnel :)

6. AvengerUK

AvengerUK Guest

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) EK-WB
    At least your not / I'm not the only one feeling like that ^^ haha

To be honest, nvidia has made it easier not to by the premium price tag on Founders...

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  7. Aelders

Aelders Guest

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    790 euros is insane, but it's the founders edition, on launch. I expect prices to drop

Go look at how much the 980 actually sold for when it launched, difference is not that big.

In two months time prices will settle

8. Aelders

Aelders Guest

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000

Exactly, it's very stupid. So how much will it cost with taxes in $?

Compare to effective 980 prices at launch

9. Dean_Demon

Dean_Demon Member

GPU:
    Titan RTX 24 GB
    Got to say a big thanks for this review, i'm a small developer with 10 machines mainly running Titan X and the very nature of my business i have to be running at the higher end graphics wise and have been waiting to hear something about the 1080. If all info is fairly accurate then this is going pretty good for me, performance to cost ratio seems very reasonable as well so thanks.

10. Kharon

Kharon Guest

GPU:
    R9 280X Toxic
    Well, this review gave me a good push to join this community after years of lurking.
    Great review, as they always have been.

I was really surprised of the perfomance, what a beast, but so is the pricetag.
    Couldn't have believed that huge of a performance boost.

Now, i'm really anxious to see what the Polaris will be.
    I really believe they won't get even close. BUT, on the other hand, didn't AMD state, that they are not competing with Nvidia on this round with Polaris 10&11?

11. Aelders

Aelders Guest

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    Polaris 10 and 11 are midrange and low end.

1080/1070 is high end

12. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    GTX 980: $549 / 452 EUR (ex VAT) + 19%(VAT) = 537.88
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nvidia_geforce_gtx_970_and_980_reference_review,29.html

Im expectiing the normal 1080 to be €699 (incl vat) and because of demand prices will be higher even.
    980 prices were also absurd at launch.

13. Aelders

Aelders Guest

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    Man you are converting dollars to euros then adding vat.

Im saying, go look at how much it actually sold for on launch.

In October 2015 I still saw 980s for 600 euro... At launch a 980 could go as high as 650-700

Exactly, 980 prices were Inflated at launch. This time founders edition accounts for the Inflation due to demand
    It's the same damn thing +50 or so euros

14. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    It´s not high end bro, chip in the midle = midrange.

15. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    Polaris will be 279 10 us msrp r9 390 performance at 150w. Speculating though. 2560 sp gddr5x polaris 12 will be furyx performance at 399 is my guess.

The easy sign to tell this is that fury is still in production. I expect Vega to be 80% faster than furyx.

Everything is boring unless one is getting a notebook or 250w gpu.

16. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Given I can run my Fury @ stock clocks @ -45% power (about 160 W), I see no reason to budge. The power consumption and performance in there are quite impressive, however.

17. Aelders

Aelders Guest

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
  18. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Im not converting anything, i took it from the review.
    well lets wait and see how much the price will drop then for normal 1080's :thumbup:

this was the price for the gigabyte one btw
    [​IMG]

19. KFBR392

KFBR392 Member

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    I know everyone's blowing their load on the 1080p benchmark results but I think when you look at how the card performs in the dx12 benchmarks at 2160p then the card looks a lot less impressive. Looking at reviews from a lot of other sites the stock 1080 seems about 5-15% faster than a MSI Gaming 980Ti (these can be OC'd even further) in most cases. Kinda disappointing imo.

1. If the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ on a high end card in 2016 performs on average (http://www.computerbase.de/2016-05/geforce-gtx-1080-test/7/) +9% @ stock and +15% @ MAX oc, one should be kind of disappointed. I mean if the single card can barely run any of the modern titles at 60 FPS @ 2160p you have to look to SLI it when (and tbh if you are buying card in this price range then 4K monitors are gonna be taking off big time in 1-2 years for you) you eventually get that 4K monitor.

2. I also have to be critical with Guru3D's review, some benchmarks seem to be really inflated compared to other reviews. Also another critical issue is that barely, if any review sites have been showing the difference of switching from DX11 to DX12 in their titles. What's going on here? Everyone's been quite interested in this recently and it is completely ignored with this brand new card? Is it even that future proof? Here is one site (Swedish) where a comparison is made: http://www.sweclockers.com/test/22087-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080/20#content. I mean really, it shows that @ 1440p max settings the 1080 gains a WHOLE 4 FPS in AOTS and a WHOLE 3 FPS in Hitman by switching to the DX12 API. LOLWUT!?

3. Are you buying this card to play older dx11 titles (because it does really well here), or do you want something that's gonna be setting you up for the future?

Overall it looks like a good card but its perf/$ seems lower than the custom 980Ti's and its DX12 gains over DX11 look very poor. I feel like big pascal and vega are gonna **** all over this card, and those will be available in 6 months time >_>.

20. Kharon

Kharon Guest

GPU:
    R9 280X Toxic
    That's what i thought.
    Others (including big technologysites like G3D) have just thrown comments like "How will AMD answer", when the answer is, with nothing.