Playstation 4 Neo Arrives End September

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 13, 2016.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I miss cartage games no loading times! though that no loading time wont be feasible these days, But atlest I could have psychical copy of of my games and not have to hear the sound optical disc spinning and sound like jet engine. I would also have no need for digital games, Only reason I have digital games is cause i dont want to hear optical drive spinning on console.
    Still kinda pissed about this seeing year ago i got my personal ps4 gave my dads back. not that I have many games for it i just have 2 rest are all from ps+ I still use my ps3 more.

2. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    VS the $2 or less for a blueray disc. From a business perspective for large games it doesn't make any sense at all. To actually make it comparable to blueray you'd need to go back to that 64gb size. Then it's even worse situation. As for no load times, that's a pipe-dream with how complex games are these days.

Such a console would technically be cheaper, but, I don't see the games being cheaper which in-turn negates the benefits.

3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    There is the hipster/physical media factor too. People who buy console games are generally people with money to spend for games. If you charge them an extra $5 for that cartridge, with all those plus things I mentioned (the loading/patching/no seek times/no installation required), and add the physical aspect of the cool cartriges on top, there is no question I believe.

What most people forget is that one of the greatest successes for Nintendo have been the Amiibos. People love physical things, and this time around there are also some very serious pluses to consider regarding the total user experience with them.

4. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    And if that cost is $20 extra? The idea is sound except for costs involved.

Also, regarding Nintendo's usage of catridges; they get away with it because of small game-size.

Hark back to N64 vs PS though. No Final Fantasy 7 for N64.

For a hand-held system, I think cartridges/memory cards is fine. Once you get to big consoles though, the time isn't right yet for that to happen.

An additional positive for cartridges is smaller games costs less to make.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    If i had choice I pick cartage over optical any day even if it lil more expensive, Optical drives are to loud and to slow in comparison., cartridges last long then optical disc too.

6. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It doesn't. You can get a Samsung EVO+ SD with 90/48MB/sec read times $15 retail. If you are Nintendo and you use them for both your console and your handhelds, you order the memory in the millions. It also doesn't even need to be that good at writes (which is the expensive part), since it will be used very rarely, so you can probably find something suitable in the $10 range retail. I'm putting the number out of my ass right now, but I wouldn't be surprised if the total cost of a cartridge was close to $5, all things said and done. If that translates even to a $5 premium, most people would happily pay it for the advantages (just imagine the no-installations, the patched games, carrying your saves), the robustness and the cool factor.

It could also mean that you can use the same game cartridge for both your handheld console and the couch one. You can literally take it with you.

7. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Not needing this right away...maybe later. I only really got my console for exclusives.

SO if there is a "Neo" version and a "PS4" version of those, I'm not certain I will get one of these asap.

I'm still on a 1080p TV that looks amazing as it is. It has a 36bit panel (2013 Sharp Aquos Quattron).

I realize it would still be faster on a 1080p TV (60 fps), but not sure I want to go on another DL frenzy for games bout in the PS Store etc.

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    36bit panel? never heard of such a thing 10bit and 12bit panel are still kind rare, unless company are using diffrent "#" bit as marketing pr

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  9. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    People already pay that premium though...on handhelds. Which is fine. The problem you get is the market is different now and consoles have relatively big hard-drives. 250GB-1TB sizes. Also, all gaming devices now are not "pure gaming" devices. People want their system to do other things including downloading games. This one aspect changes the whole situation altogether and now cartridges alone isn't enough anymore. Considering that a normal spinal hd already does 100mb+, then, the other-side of the argument is to go download only, in which case you don't even need cartridges anymore, just a fast hd. Considering streaming technology aswell and rumoured Nintendo NX streaming feature, you don't even need a physical copy of the game for the hand-held either.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Relative large drives sure , they also use POS 5400rpm laptop drives. which horrible slow 10 years ago and still are. forget about there seek times. the ps3/ps4 laptop HDD drives are slower then then 10+ year old barrucda drive by a long shot. ps4 has same crappy load times as ps3 cause they use the same crappy 5400 rpm laptop drives. and even with the faster harddrives the speed a negligible.

11. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Ah, but, you can upgrade it yourself if you're willing to pay the premium. Then, we come back to costs involved.

12. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    There are some points here.

a) If you use cartridges, you don't need big local storage on the console itself since the cartridge contains the game, the saves and the patches.

b) HDD might have 100+ MB/sec read burst speeds, the problem is with seek times and there SSDs and SD Cards destroy them since they have zero seek times.

c) Download only restricts the amount of games you can play, since you rely on the local storage. For a large portion of people it also means that it will take a few days to get a game, and it also means that they will be using a ton of data against their bandwidth cap. Steam is not an exactly accurate example since the people who use it for AAA releases have at least some technical acumen, which is not the case with the vast majority of console users. Cartridges solve all that.

d) Huge and fast local storage still has installation limits and it also can raise the price of the console quite a bit.

13. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    a) Usually not done so not to affect original cartridge. See Ps Vita, still needs memory card for patches and saves

b) Clever programming minimises loading times. Even with the premium needed for ssd, there will still be loading times.

c) Don't need to use steam, use console service examples. Already very popular. Digital downloads is here to stay. Not much technical know-how required, just credit-card and patience.

d) Common enough, though, that all consoles have a hard-drive, a none-issue really. Now user upgradable for those who want to go ssd. Has also allowed consoles to do more than just games. Will not change with next-gen.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    upgrading the drive to 7200rpm or even sdd dont seem help anywere as much as it does on actual pc for what ever reason when it come to consoles

I also preferred it when saves were on the individual cartridge,

Bottom line I prefer cartridge over optical drive specially when it come to consoles just like I still prefer perfect Analog Video over digital video anyday

We wouldn't need these HUGE HDD in our consoles if the Optical drives were fast enough to meet the needs which they are not, atlest not with out making even louder then they are now. which make cartridge superior even now, makers of consoles would save money for not need to put the hdd in them and publisher would have benefits for using them too like faster loader time and streaming which would counter balance the extra cost which isnt that much more then optical discs. I for one dont like the 20 minute install times some games.

15. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    I hope they offer a discount or something like that to people that already have a PS4. This is a finger on the * to Normal PS4 owners

16. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    That's ridiculous logic. They've had and used their hardware for all that time, even if they knew an upgraded PS4 was coming, that's barely any different than a new gen console, and the majority would have bought their PS4s anyway. They want to play games, not wait for the best hardware which ends up being an endless waiting game.

Just because it's called the Neo PS4 doesn't change the fact that it's been years since the PS4 was launched and games will be compatible anyway. It's not like Sony used launched a new console in a year after the PS4 and used completely different hardware breaking compatibility leading to no more PS4 games.

Sony shouldn't have to, and probably won't, offer jack**** to old PS4 owners. Maybe they'll throw in some free low tier PSN games for anyone who already had a PS+ membership before the Neo PS4 launch, but even that's a stretch.

17. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    The hd in consoles actually negates needing to have discs though. If they push things that way, then, it's the bricks n mortar product that would be phased-out in favour of digital downloads. Cartridges can be faster, but, the way sd tech works in the first place is they need to be of a certain size before you get the speeds you want. An 8GB sd won't offer 100mb/s for example.

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    To the people that just bought there system less then year ago before any of this was mention they would be pissed.

People dont buy consoles to play the will it run game. all consoles should have same specs plain and simple. want release something with better specs? that is what the next console gen is for. like said if this is the new scheme they all gona do with consoles it the last console gen I will buy, I Rather spend money on my pc's

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yah no Optical disc were "supposed" to make HDD obsolete when they were introduce it.

it never happend cause how slow they were then and still are.

IF i had have my entire collections of ps2 game or hell ps3 games installed on hdd, there wouldnt be HDD big enough for it nor do I want to have to download my game collection when i want to play it,

Cartridge didnt have to deal with any of that we simply just plug it in and it was ready to play, if dev actual Q/A and Bug tested there game back in the day, these day one patchs and endless patchs would not be needed either.

20. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    This is where we start going full-circle. It was due to the cheap to produce and capacity of optical that rendered cartridges to be viewed as expensive and also hinder game-size and progress. Had the console market continued to exist without Sony getting involved, then, your PS2 and PS3 collection wouldn't exist in the first place. FMV's were a crucial advantage of optical that we now all take for granted. So, there has to be a compromise.

Either you choose the medium that offers big games+slower access speeds, or, you choose the medium that's fast and offers smaller games.

Ofcourse, we are at the stage now that the big 3 could offer pure cartridge systems, but, as I said, digital downloads has bought the importance of a hd back. That hd can be spindle or ssd which is another medium debate itself.

PS Vita does offer ps1 games for digital download and some ported ps2 games which I do enjoy. The memory card in this scenario is basically a small hd. If the PS Vita didn't offer digital downloads, then, the games available would be a lot smaller and the PS Vita would have a lot less value imho.