DooM 4 Thread (Pt.1)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Xzibit, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Just played for 3 hours straight, and I'm really glad I bought this game. I'm having such fun with it :cool:

Highly recommend it to anyone that likes skill based shooters. :thumbup:

And I applaud ID for the excellent work they've done with IDTech 6. The amount of dynamic lights in this game is awesome, and the reflections are top notch for the high performance.

Also megatexture technology has come a long way since Rage, as the textures in Doom seem very detailed to me and texture pop in has been eradicated more or less. The only texture pop in I see, is when you load into the game for the first time, and that only lasts about two seconds. From that point on it's completely unnoticeable, at least on my machine.

It would be cool if they made a sequel to Rage with this updated engine, as the engine has fixed so many problems that affected the original years ago and tainted it's release.

That said, GameGPU has put up their Doom technical report, and it matches what PCgameshardware.de's numbers more or less. Surprisingly, CPU optimization isn't bad at all considering it's using OpenGL. Regardless, I expect Vulkan to fix any CPU optimization problems the game might have, and will also likely help AMD A LOT when ID releases the update.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    you will always find a draw back at the age which consoles still are priority in some ways, games are always designed with that in mind, i dont think the consoles would be running this game nicely with a higher poly count, for me the game looks superb as it is no complaints whatsoever, clean graphics all the way.

3. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Amazing how good this game is using them six cores cpu,s :)

4. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    Damn, looking at those benchmarks I feel bad for Radeon owners :( you guys have cards that essentially rival 970 and 980 yet only get half the performance in this game.

5. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Pretty sure it's not using six cores. The reason the 5960x is out in front is because of it's 20MB L3 cache.. I'd say the game uses up to four cores in reality, and isn't very CPU intensive.. Even a Core i3 dual core without hyperthreading can go above 60 fps, which says it all.

Vulkan should fix that I'd say..

6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Last edited: May 14, 2016
  7. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    Turning shadows setting down a notch helps a lot.
    Performance is very strange for GCN 1.1 though..
    Vulkan might help but is also very early and might have bugs.

8. Kezen

Kezen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 X TRIO
    AMD need to release new OpenGL drivers. I would not blame developpers here, it's AMD's fault for not having invested in this API.

9. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Mine was full screen only I guess. Let me check when I go home.

Besides no idea what is difference between these.

10. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    I heard about this on Twitter, pretty funny.
    Though this is what happens when a pc gamer is forced to play an fps on console.

11. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    After category dimensional 4(Argent Energy Tower) the game crashes with a black screen and nothing happens..Does anyone know the cause of this ?

12. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    [​IMG]
    I thought it will be possible to play doom 4 on my 680GTX, but 30fps it's a little bit to low for me. What's strange, even stock 780GTX is 2x faster compared to my 680GTX in this doom 4 benchmark and I have never seen huge differences like that between these two cards :eek3:. For now I will withhold playing doom 4, I need to upgrade my PC first.

BTW- guys, what's better, I can buy single 1080GTX (I'm afraid that my 3570 is a little bit too slow for that GPU), or 970GTX plus new mobo and i7 CPU ?

13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    That's like me trying to play FPS on a console, I spend most of the time staring at the ground or up into the sky lol

K&M for FPS

14. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    No 3570K at that speed is enough for every game.

15. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    Xtreme512@I have seen CPU limited scenarios already even on my 3570. For example watch dogs (50fps dips on ultra), crysis 3 (45fps dips on green grass area in 2'nd level), and even gta4 (30 fps, and without mods! That game runs much better with icenchancer). If I would buy i7 + 970GTX right now, that 4GB vram (or 3.5GB ??) could be not enough in near future :(, so I will buy 1080GTX and see for myself how it's rocking with my i5 3570, if results will be very bad I will upgrade my CPU also after few months period.

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Anyone found the rail gun yet?

I was stuck on a difficult part, and found that gun, saved it for ages until I got back to the bit I kept dying at, thinking it was gonna be like the minigun from GTAV or something, got right in front of the floating heads that kept killing me and fired

Pop.............. pop................pop...............pop

And the bullets were flying all over the place, left, right, up, down, anywhere apart from hitting the floating heads, died again lol

17. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
  18. Aelders

Aelders Guest

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    Yeah man, didn't you get the memo? AMD have been absolved of all their sins by the Pope, they are blameless now and forever.

19. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yeah.
    And people are acting like this is a new, shocking development.

WHAT?! An OpenGL based game with performance issues on AMD hardware... that's never happened before.

Except damn near every OpenGL based game that's been released before.

It's almost common sense at this point, AMD has issues with OpenGL. They always have. And, even that considered, Doom is performing incredibly well across the board.

20. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Look bro, if you get GTX1080 you WILL be happy with the results. Perhaps only 10-20fps off best cpu results. All those games will be 60fps+ no problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.