Playstation 4 Neo Arrives End September

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 13, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The console formerly know as PS4K or PS4 Neo will arrive roughly at the end of November, times just right for the Chrismas season. French wholesaler Innelec Multimedia shared this info and mentione...

Playstation 4 Neo Arrives End September

2. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    That's a damn nice upgrade. :nerd: Everything pushing higher resolution / VR in video game industry is good to take, even for a PC player like me !

3. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Yeah i'm betting this is now going to be a requirement for some psvr games, sony said straight out the bat that games have to run on both ps4 and ps4.5, but neo can only have framerate improvements and some added graphical jazz. Didn't mention vr though.

And the ps4 is kind of weak for vr

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hope that the controller gets updated too. DS4 is a pos.

5. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    Can't wait, definitely a buy. And the DS4 is a great controller, of course there is room for improvement but from there to a pos is a long way.

6. semantics

semantics Member

GPU:
    N/A
    Why not just release a PS5 and say it has ps4 backwards compatible so you don't have to have some weird constraints on developers, only reason to do this is to force developers to support the old ps4.

7. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Well yeah because that's alienating a 35 million or so fanbase half way through a normal console life span, now 35 mil ain't that much on console lifetime sales, but it's pretty good for two and a bit years in, and cutting them off is a really bad business move, a good way to lose customers and brand recognition

the japanese market, where it's pretty much only sony and nintendo (sony consoles and nintendo handhelds) is slow to adopt change, and they sure wouldn't like this

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    The way I see it this will be the VR version of ps4. I wouldn't be surprised if both versions ran games almost identically. Most devs will still cap their games.

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    compared to DS3 controller is has cheap feel, only thing i like about ds4 is the R2/L2trigger button shape rest of it cheap feel and horrid battery life then there is that stupid led light we cant turn off, I actual wish i could use my ds3 controller.

I am not fan of this mid console gen upgrading crap, I just bought personal ps4 and now they do this? yah fck that bs...

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  10. vdelvec

vdelvec Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    The title says it arrives "end of September" and your article says "end of November". Which one is it Hildy?

11. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    So...basically it just upscales 1080P to 2160P, allows for VR stuff and UHD movies from netflix and other content providers?

Seems like a fairly logical device for me...no real issues with this at all.

PS4 games are unaffected and content is locked. They got a more efficient chipset/SoC.

Only thing which would have been good is an update for stuff like USB, WiFi, BlueRay UHD and SATA3 for better/faster SSD/SHD/HDD access.

The BlueRay UHD omission is surprising.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    hopefully never.. but at this point it is probably true.

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Of course it's true, Sony announced this quite a while ago.

14. Hughesy

Hughesy Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr 980
    I disagree, the thumbsticks are awful. I haven't even used mine much and it's torn away even though I looked after them, it's a very common issue if you search.

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Every time I see this, I have to think how awesome it would be if PS4 was inside notebook.

Playing games directly on such console with small screen would be great. Or just plugging big screen.

Taking you PS4 to friend/party/pub would never be problem.

And It reminds me that I am waiting for mobile APU which is not crippled by notebook manufacturer.

16. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I chuckle a bit because a few years back, I started posting here and other forums in console threads, probably a few times over the past few years about the idea of upgrading consoles like they do with phones and tablets and how games could easily be made to be compatible with previous systems ....I was more or less practically called stupid for the very idea. Then there were the others that didn't even read properly and complained that is impossible because no one would be able to play the new games, etc or they would mention how previous console add on's never succeeded...neither of which was quite what I was talking about.

Suddenly here it comes, the very idea I had, albeit 2 yrs later as apposed to my yearly cycle idea and people are liking this Neo all of a sudden? Kind of comical.
    But to me it always made sense to keep the same price and upgrade the hardware accordingly so long as it can support the same library, people could upgrade when they want just like they do now with iPads and to also put an end to the stupidity of reinventing the wheel with an entirely new system..etc and starting their library all over again.
    PC's are much the same except since the OS keeps changing so drastically over time, you can't keep the same library without Dosbox, VM or compatibility modes...which never worked worth a damn from my experience.

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    This is not an upgrade, this is a whole new console people will have to buy. I'll be most likely passing, unless it has some must have exclusives.

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    While you are right i a way. There should not be any exclusives (except maybe few VR projects).
    But games will still be designed for PS4 and PS4K at same time. PS4 will as always have that unseemly low fps.

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I can live with fps drops on consoles. And let's face it, even the updated ps4 will suffer them. If anything, maybe some games will run at 900p on ps4 and 1080p on the new one.

20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    The sticks on it really suck but the rest seems perfectly fine to me, so long as you customize it to disable the LED sucking the life out of its puny puny little baby battery. I use one as my main PC controller and it's comfortable enough, I don't even own a PS4. The sticks can be replaced with basically anything such as XB1 sticks for an actual grip.