AMD VEGA now scheduled for October launch

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 11, 2016.

1. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I in no way think AMD is gonna go out of business or something. I'm just going off Steam Stats and looking at the market share of the main vendors of gfx cards.

I think AMD thought it would be able to close that massive gap to Nvidia in the next round of future PC gaming tech.(inc early DX12 titles)

If Nvidia brings out a 1070 at really reasonable price and has god knows how long till AMD has something similar then the number of 1070's could dominate the market share.( like 970 does now with 50%)

Of course this is only on the presumption that a 1070 card will be amazing bang for buck. I also feel that a lot of people will want to upgrade just for the 8Gigs of Vram that will probably be on 1070.

If i'm wrong then so be it but personally i think Nvidia could have a huge winner on it's hands. I think a lot of 970 owners will upgrade if Pascal with Gddr 5 is better than expected.

I'm 44 years of age and could care less for "Names" Nvidia/AMD. I just care/love tech and it's only an opinion. 1070 i believe is gonna sell like hot cakes and smash it out the park, opinion over. Let's look at steam stats again in a year and only then will we see if i was correct or not.

2. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    For nvidia it took 13 years to have this much of a market share, ati had 74 percent once... if p10 is on par with the 1070 and abit cheaper the 1070 is doa

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    The way I see it is that if the P10 is on par with 1070 and a little bit cheaper it's too late, because most people will already own a 1070 and they will not swap that out for a similar card costing £50 less.

P10 might be attractive when it comes out, and it no doubt will be, but by then a lot of people will be content with their 1070/1080. AMD will be coming to the show too late for a big chunk of the market.

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    If the rumor is true then Polaris is hard launching a day before the 1080 launches, May 26th. If the price point is indeed $300 for the big chip, then the opposite of what your saying is true. It's almost $180 cheaper then a 1070 and it's launching nearly 2 weeks before it.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Well... It's a rumour. Nothing official from AMD as of yet. If the rumour is true, great, I'll be happy with that. I won't mind going AMD at all, if the price/performance ratio is good.

Let's see what happens in the end.

6. Prepper

Prepper Guest

GPU:
    IGP
    The so called frustrated AIBs are most likely MSI, ASUS and Gigabyte. AMD lost allot of market share past couple of years, so naturally these AIBs equated to not much revenue, so AMD could afford to keep them in the dark, and probably the reason AMD have been able to keep their cards under wraps for so long.

If I was one of the AIBs, I would want to know what the score is with AMD also - before I purchase Millions of chips from NVIDIA.

The information according to rumour’s is that R9 390/X performance for mid end price, and that is the info AIBs have (coincidence?). That’s based on TweakTown having made some calls to AIBs, which is MSI going on past history lol

AMD needs allot of stock if it’s going to sell in a high volume market at a good price. I honestly think AMD might release P11, P10 and V10 one after the other, seeing how long its been since their first demos, unless something horribly went wrong with design/14nm.

When Polaris 10 is shown end of this month, we will know if VEGA is going to deliver the knock out blow to GP104/TI.

I for one will wait until I see both hands on the table this time.

7. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Why are people in such a hurry? Isn't the 970 a perfectly fine card still? There are no games out it couldn't run with decent settings, right?

8. Jimster480

Jimster480 Member

GPU:
    6800, 6700xt,Vega56
    This is what I noticed/guessed also.
    I am excited for gaming notebooks with this power.
    But remember the 90W TDP is just a reference card.
    people seem to forget that Nvidia's TDP's mean little with board partners OCing from 1Ghz to 1.4Ghz at times.
    960's pulling more power than 380's and still barely eeking out wins.
    it all depends on clockspeed.
    But if they really got 950 level performance into ~22.5W that would be amazing.

What many people here don't realize is its all about the $200 segment.
    I help people out on a few computer building sections in forums and the GPU's we use the most are 380/960/390 (usually when on sale).
    This is what most peoples budgets afford, and this is the market to go for if you want to win back marketshare.
    AMD has said Polaris is about increasing TAM (total addressable market) vs speed crowns.
    Not sure why people are even arguing over this, but Nvidia jumping the gun on the launch.... well they can be scared too since AMD has a process advantage on them.
    There are many ways to read this stuff, but only time will tell.

9. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    So is my 290x but I feel the burn in my wallet :D it's been almost 2½ years I've had this awesome card.

10. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Well it depends how demanding you are with visual settings. I had 2 970s and @ 1440p even just @ 60Hz vsync there were a number of games that maxed out couldn't keep a steady 60 FPS. Now with only one card left, I imagine it's even worse. If I manage to get as good a price on this one as the first then I'll definitely get a single 1080 or 1070 next month.

11. mondzi

mondzi Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 960
    This site has become RumorGuru.

12. CrisanT

CrisanT Guest

Polaris is the next step for me!

I just sold my Sapphire R9 280x VaporX for a decent price, let Polaris come! :D
    I will be on the iGPU until polaris, i don't game much in the summer :banana:

13. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    1070 is coming june 10, if p10 is to be released at computex that is march 31

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    That's if.

But if that's the case, good. I'll wait to see some reviews and decide what I get.

15. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    May 31 I guess? If that is true then AMD has a good few days leg up.

16. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    There are reports that amd will have a presentation in Macau on the 26 of May, and at coumputex also on may 31

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    wait, is there any news on when P10 would hit shelves? Or are we just talking about announcements?

18. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    I have no idea on those tbh

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    hmmm... Here's my situation... I don't actually need to upgrade atm, the 970 does great in games. But I've had it since day one and I'd like a change. Some games could do with a bit of a boost as well, although I'm perfectly happy with dropping some settings if needed (gaming at 1440p).

So I'll be getting a new gpu soon. I almost bought a 980ti but I'm glad now that I didn't. Unless AMD have some solid benches/specs out before 1070 launches, I'll be buying a 1070 (most likely). And I think a lot of people will do the same.

It's a shame, because AMD are late to the show again. And tbh, even if P10 is around 980ti performance (some claim it will be), so will be the 1070 (apparently). In which case I'll go with 1070, because I love Inspector and that new screenshot app from nVidia seems great (love taking screenshots).

COME ON AMD, release something about what's coming so that we know. Otherwise you're losing out on sales.

20. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    I the october rumor for vega are true, i will get two hbm 2.0 cards