AMD VEGA now scheduled for October launch

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 11, 2016.

1. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    It bugs me so much that they're inconsistent in how they calculate throughput.

On one hand you have TITAN X and 980TI whose compute throughput is calculated AT BASE CLOCK

On the other hand you have 1080/1070 whose compute throughput is calculated at boost clock.

What the **** NVIDIA.

What the ****.

What I'm interested in seeing is improvement in Pascal (over Maxwell) at throughput parity.

Will GP104 suffer because of reduced memory bandwidth + fewer ROPs/TMUs ?

Will 6.5tflops on Pascal do better than 6.5tflops on Maxwell in AotS for example ?

2. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    tell HH that

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Guys a small request; a little less insulting and swearing please okay ? Discussions are fine, but let's keep the tone friendly which is way more pleasant for everybody.

4. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Wow.

I asked for everyone to stop.

So no more warnings.

5. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    Man you've literally been making the most useless points. First you argue some **** about Vega's naming scheme in which you appear to play devil's advocate because you were clearly making no sense. Then you argue for how relevant this rumor this, now you're giving HH **** for posting it.

:puke2:

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah it's dumb. At the PX2 presentation they said the Titan X is 7 Tflops. Then at this presentation they listed it as 6.1 or something. Their marketing is like both the best (in terms of actually working) and the worst (in terms of being misleading). Even like the performance per watt, their metric of performance like changed randomly last year from floating point to SGEMM performance so they can still hit 2x "performance" per watt.

7. PinchedNerve

PinchedNerve Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte AORUS 1080 Ti XE
    Fanboy? Bit hard to categorize me a such when I own an Asus Strix R9 390. I'm actually genuinely disappointed AMD looks to have dropped the ball (till at least October), even though it seems pretty typical.

Edit: When will you upgrade is irrelevant. The thread/news report is about AMD not having an answer for 1070/1080.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  8. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Because the 1070 will be $500 and not 380, and considering the 980ti will probably still perform equal or better, prices as usual won't drop on old gen highend cards in any noticable way.

If you can buy a Radeon card with 980ti performance with a 150watt TDP why would they buy a 980ti with bad DX12 performance and 250+ watt TDP?

9. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I don't even think AMD has dropped the ball. Even if Polaris seems to end up tad slower then Pascals first iteration. Fury might have dropped the ball somewhat. But earlier cards not that much.

So to me nothing typical here in that sense. Of course it seems that Polaris 10 would be roughly around the same performance range as a 1070. But I don't think AMD even planned on answering anything like 1080 from what we have hard.

Nvidias relative performance charts where horrible to see crappy as hell. Even at 1100mhz Titan X is 6.7 tflops :D and it should boost without overclocking to roughly 7+ tflops and when overclocked it will near that 10 tflop line. While 1080 @ 2133 will do roughly 11 tflops.

I am writing random stuff it seems. None the less the 1080 and 1070 cards will be good. I doubt that 1070 will reach TX or 980ti speeds when both are overclocked.

10. MBTP

MBTP Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX590
    What a bunch of non-sense wrote here, AMD never spoke about the real date launch of Vega, but if get the graphics from the spicy event you will see the vega position behind 2017 in the time scale. AMD frightened? Seriously guru 3d is not what it used to be anymore, and people believe in everything that is wrote, very irresponsible of a site who should be impartial. Thats ridiculous.

11. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    But, even when you put it like that, the GTX1080 looks like a bargain in comparison to TX.

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    AMD said that Vega would be the first card with HBM2, AMD also said HBM2 cards wouldn't be ready until 2017. Random forum poster guy said that Vega is being pushed up to October. Random forum poster guy also said that AMD was surprised by Pascal's super high clockrate.

If you believe Random Forum Poster guy, then the only thing you can assume is that AMD saw Pascal and decided it needed to push it's schedule forward in order to compete with it. If you don't believe RFP, then basically we won't be seeing Vega until 2017.

13. Aelder

Aelder Guest

GPU:
    **** you
    There's the possibility that only the bigger of the two Vega gpus uses HBM, the other uses G5X

14. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    It should look like that else it would not sell. 980 trashed the old Titan pretty much in terms of performance/$ and in pure performance. 970 was as fast.

I am expecting similar here.

15. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    Actually it was not me that argued the validity of this topic.. read first then try to actually be smart for a change

16. Aelder

Aelder Guest

GPU:
    **** you
    the 980ti is a bargain compared to TX...

anything is a bargain compared to TX

17. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    And how do you know that amd has not answer for the 1070?? where is that being said int his topic ??

this thread is about the possibility that we will see Vega in October

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    He said that it won't. Since forum posts are sources of news now, clearly they won't have answer for the 1070. The proof is right in his post.

19. Aelder

Aelder Guest

GPU:
    **** you
    The fact they're supposedly accelerating release time-frame of Vega suggests Polaris does not compete with GP104.

Exactly

20. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    This place is becoming more and more like wccftech