EA and DICE announce Battlefield as in World War I

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 6, 2016.

1. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    BF1942 was never the same again after Desert Combat Final was released.

Or if like me you loved other mods 1918 was really good.

Trust me though if you installed 1942 now it would look so bad that it would scramble ya brain.

2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I don't care about looks, just want to play it now. :D

3. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    2142 is awesome. You should. I was hoping for a futuristic setting, but I'll have to settle for WW1. The trailer for the new COD, Infinity Warfre. It does look like a lot of fun.... You even get space battles!

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  4. mcfart

mcfart Guest

GPU:
    HD 5970
    Trump is way more isolationist than Hilary. Trump wants to avoid Middle East confrontations. Hilary wants to get the US all up in dat minefield.

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The next Call of Duty after this one will probably either have alien battles, although they would probably do time travel first. However, taking 25th century weapons and using them in WWII would be just... stupid.

The Great War (it wasn't known as World War I at the time!), is probably as early as you can go. The Second Boer War as those before would be just too slow. Battles would be no fun having to repack your musket after each shot.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2016
  6. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Given that the new COD trailer has over a million dislikes on YT, space isn't what the fans want. They seem content on playing the same version year after year with hardly any chances. I wonder if BF would have been met with the same discontent if it had chosen a futuristic setting?

7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It has to be done right, and it's good to have variety. If they did the Korean War or something first, then it wouldn't be so bad. Even then, choosing the right scenario and having good writing and execution is important.

8. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050

The major criticisms with COD is the game engine. It hasn't been changed all that much in the last 5 years. Which is surprising considering the money the franchise makes. Look at how the Battefield series has progressed in comparison.

9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Very true. The issue I think is that it still is console orientated. If they did update the engine for PC it would make sense to either be DirectX 12 or Vulkan based. DirectX 12 woudl allow easier programming between Xbox One and PC, supposedly, with a little benefit for PS4 due to similarities between Vulkan and DirectX 12. I would assume Vulkan would make it easier for all three platforms.

Of course they wouldn't do that, since there are too many people refusing to upgrade to Windows 10 (hence no DirectX 12 support). Supporting DirectX 12 and DirectX 11 would take a crapload more effort which they wouldn't do. I realise that Vulkan works on Windows 8.1 etc as well, but from their perspective, they'll jump on the DirectX 12/Windows 10 excuse, and I suspect other game developers will also.