Nvidia LiveStream Event Later today

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 6, 2016.

1. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Does that compare architectures? How is that affected by 28 to 16nm move?
    Anyway, since you managed to change your formula:
    (Performance * transistor count) / factor affecting clock =
    - so it is Performance times transistor count (which allowed that performance)
    - and this time it is divided by clock affecting factor (chip size), which you had so big problem with too

Well, at least chip size is not above the division line (no longer makes big, expensive chips look better just because of size).

And by that new formula, you made Fury X look way better than Titan X...

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I saw 1080gtx has the same 64 Rop count.. that explains it extra why it scored the way it did in 3dmark tests..

I will deffo pass 1080gtx, not in mood for another 980ti like perf. Out of the box. That 1070 will lag behind nvm what jhh trolled with that titanx comparison.

Cu in 1-2yrs, k tnx bye.

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    You have like some weird obsession with justifying whatever it is you purchase.

4. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Heh I knew in the back of my mind that the 1070 would not be even close to be out performing a Titan X but it could be close to equaling the performance maybe.

5. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000

I don't care which looks better I, unlike you, don't aim to come up with terrible ideas to justify my stubbornly biased view.

And of course this is a more fair index, when the point of comparison is the idea you had above I would have to make a spectacular effort to come up with something worse.

This is still a terribly ****ty index

6. darrensimmons

darrensimmons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX4090AMPEXT
    In a game such as bf4 there is no way it's faster than 980sli. That game scales 99%.

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Why.

If I still had 780 I would skip gp104 too.. midrange perf. Chips have the most buggy drivers. That alone is no1 reason why I wouldnt get it. been like that by fermi, kepler and now maxwell.

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    To sum it up:
    Both of those formulas you came with included division by either clock or transistor count, which you disagreed with.
    And as bonus you included factors which have nothing to do with architecture. Congratulations, you won!

While I compare architectures on meaningful level, you are actually...

9. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000

I didn't divide by clock, i didn't divide by transistor count... Go over your maths please. Divide by inverse of density means multiple by transistor count and divide by area.

You don't compare anything on a meaningful level when you punish small high clocked dies.

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I actually agree, I did not move from HD7970 to R9-290x, not because of price, but because 25~35% is not sufficient upgrade.
    And I presume, your GTX 980 Ti delivers perfect results. Ans you have no need to upgrade just to pump AA one level higher (making 0.5% of pixels on screen by 10% more accurate).

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    At 1st you divided by transistor count, then you inverted function.
    And as far as that density goes, it affects clock.

And one more thing from elementary school:
    - you know that division is same as multiplication by inverse value, right?

So, instead of writing this, making it look complex: 8908/(1/13.31)
    use: 8908 * 13.31

12. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    It is more intuitive to me to think in terms of inverse density, I wrote it incorrectly initially.

Density affects clocks? I wonder what other mindblowing trivia you have in story for me today

FYI I haven't slept since the day before yesterday, been awake all through the night and now halfway through the day.

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Then get some sleep man. There is no reason to sit on forum. Making theories with 1/2 of brain triggering a delta wave state. You do not need to hallucinate, it is unhealthy.

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Even if the 1070 is really good (TX perf or above) will not jump on it. Will wait to see Polaris even if its a notch below. Wouldnt be surprised if AMD turn this into another 4870 vs 280 showdown. Plus of course their increasing hold on game development will likely see them doing better over the long haul.

15. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Pascal isn't aimed at 900 series owners really anyway, just like 900 series wasn't really aimed at 700 series.

Volta is the one you're going to be looking at closely.

In the meantime that 980Ti of yours will do great! Me on the other hand I should upgrade!

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I know, its ok card for someone with old gpu. For current not so much unless you re happy with minimal boosts between generations.

I personally always aimed at 2x perf. 570 to 780 to 980ti did that. This 1080gtx not really.. 1080ti aka full pascal will, but i might as well wait for volta and amd navi then.

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    @HH

When can we expect some reviews? :nerd:

18. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    All the event was designed to do; mission accomplished according to how the press has run with it. All companies do it; generate hype about a new revolutionary product without giving actual practical information about it away. Actual ammunition needs to be left in the wings to crush the competition, when they come knocking, if it exists. Both sides do this. All information that would allow the depicted results to be duplicated by other individuals was purposely withheld.

Several posts noticed no actual game performance was mentioned. Why was it absent? Because those values are absolutes in regards to how the new products are seen; takes all the momentum from hypothetical imaginings of how the performance is. Harnessing the ability to get individuals to run rampant with their imagination is a more powerful marketing tool than using as close to actual real world performance on current games.

The games were mentioned by way of introducing new tech like Ansel and stereo 3D imaging. What the heck does any of that new tech have to do with actual fps output with current games on a typical rig? The association of the games to product performance all done with mind games. But it generates oohs and aahs. Gets the ol' imagination running.

Will these cards be better than last generation in regards to none VR games? Most likely yes. how much better...only they know for the time being. All we know is what was shown to us...smoke and mirrors, oohs and aahs. But my imagination is running green at the moment.

19. iTile

iTile Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 4GB OC Gaming
    Well if the TDP of the GPU is 30-50% lower than the 980, and it produces the same or 15-20% more than the current 980, then nVidia's claim of 50% to twice as fast as a 980 is not completely false but not completely true either. As they would technically rate it according to performance per watt and not "twice the current frame rate" as people assume.

AMD is doing the exact same thing.

The only difference between the 2 is that AMD ages like a wine(red), and nvidia like fungus(green).

GTX780 vs R9 290, 780 use to walk all over the R9 290...

Nobody talks about these GPU's but looking at latest benchmarks, the 780 is 10-20% slower than a R9 290 compared to when they were first released. R9 290 is clawing at the heals of a 980 and it costed half as much as a 980. Correct me if i'm wrong?

at the end of the Day the PR talk or as we call it in south africa "spin docter talk" is complete BS and should be takin with a grain of salt. they way they creampied these new GPUs have people foaming at the mouth and arguing over assumptions (Assumptions is the mother of all f00kups) and PR talk. "leaked benches" etc. like herion addicts some can't wait for their next "leak/hit" believing and fighting over half truths.

I'll keep my wallet locked up in a safe in a safe in a safe, safeception before i upgrade from my current GPU (i do want that H.265 hardware encoding though). But Nvidia's marketing trumps (see what i did there) AMD. While AMD have been producing hardware that actually saves its consumers money by not having to upgrade as often as required by an nVidia buyer.

Conversation is good, hypetrain is bad. wait for results of both camps then decide. Do you want a withering nVidia GPU thats a performer outof the box or do you want a sleeping dragon that needs awakening in mount doom?

20. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    So in your opinion amd designs their hardware to 'age like a fine wine' ?