Just got a Samsung UN65JU7500 4K UHD.

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by Angrycrab, May 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    I'm currently using It as a PC monitor and It looks amazing :banana:. I'm wondering If I should enable PC mode or Game mode for PC gaming? Didn't notice any difference In picture quality between the two though.

2. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    It's best to search your exact TV and see what those setting actually do. Modern TV's will apply things like motion blur and frame interpolation, typically things like "Game mode" disables those features. If that is the case for your particular TV, it's best to have Game mode on especially if you see things like artifacts when in motion or large input delays.

3. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    After searching around I found out that game mode does Infact disable those extra features and gives me less Input lag around 21ms. What's even more suprising I was able to get 4k@60hz 4:4:4 chroma with game mode enabled!!

I opened the 4:4:4 chroma image test and was able to read the text properly however If i bump up the resolution from 3840x2160(native) to 4096x2160 the text becomes unreadable. Impressive nonetheless.

Thanks for the tip.

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

In that case, I think 3840x2160 would be just fine :). You won't notice the difference anyway, from a resolution point of view (but obviously in a quality sense you will). Hope you got a good price on it, it's last years model, replaced by the KU7500. However, interestingly enough the KU7500 isn't available in a screen as large as 65 inch.

On a direct price comparison, currently:
    http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN65KS9500FXZA
    is the replacement for yours:
    http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN65JU7500FXZA

Keeping in mind the first one is '$1000 off' for the RRP. Special maybe?

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2016

5. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    I couldn't find the ku7500 anywhere so I paid around 1900$USD for The ju7500 which usually was sold for 2590$USD. I was looking for a 4k TV with the least amount of Input lag, Turned out that It was a 65 inch unit too. So I chose the 7500 over the 9 series which costs 3800$USD around here. Tbh I think the 9 series Is abit overpriced around here and not worth It atm.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Fair enough :). The 9 series does have some better technology that we'll like see work its way down the model range in years to come, but I guess to make use of it you really need lots of 3840x2160 content.

Glad to hear you got it for a decent price though, it was a better choice :).

7. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    Yep the 9 series would definitely have better picture quality but doesn't Improve Input lag over the JU7500. Since I'm using the TV mostly for Gaming, It would cost a fortune buy a 9 series.

8. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Can't remember the last time I used a monitor...

(on a related note) I went cheap and grabbed a 43" VIZIO M43C1 4K set that I'll be using as a monitor (replaces a 42" 1080p unit). The input lag is supposedly low and is capable of 60hz 4K on the (special) 5th HDMI port. Shows up tomorrow.

Pretty sure my next purchase is a GTX1080 as I suspect my 970 isn't going to like 2160p at all.

9. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    Good choice VIZIO Is known to have excellent affordable 4k TV's unfortunately they aren't sold where I live. For now I won't be upgrading my 980Ti since It's enough for 4k. Tested Fallout 4 and Elder Scrolls Online both were maxed out and was getting smooth 60fps.

10. Camaxide

Camaxide Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Gaming X SLI
    So, this is a really old post, but very valid still. I have a JU 7500 and I always struggled with the input lag.. It's stated to have 21ms input lag, but it is night and day trying to hit anything gaming on the TV compared to a monitor.. I've used the game mode that is enabled inside the sub-menus, but I learned yesterday that there is also another game-mode that is enabled when pressing 'input' on the controller - then on the hdmi3 which I use I can press down - then select a device input mode like 'pc' or 'game' - I chose game now. Do you do this on your TV? Does that make a difference when already in game-mode from the sub-menu?

11. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    just enable Game Mode, then go into the setting and adjust the brightness, and contrast to your liking as most TV's (even newer ones) have a very dark game mode but it does turn off all the other settings like dynamic contrast, motion blur, interpolation, black levels, etc.

Also I recommend looking into the color temp settings too, as the normal defaults (cool, neutral, warm) can offer weak or sometime far too over saturated images.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.