EA and DICE announce Battlefield as in World War I

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 6, 2016.

1. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    No gameplay footage, therefore this trailer tells us nothing at all.

2. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    That's great except we haven't seen what it's really like. An FMV/CGI trailer is never something to judge a game by.

3. Kloet075

Kloet075 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Gaming G1 970
    I am ready for this, don't wanna jynx it but it sure feels as good as Battlefield Bad Company 2. Hopefully it is, damn i'm hyped for this.
    RIP Hardline:banana:

4. Deragot

Deragot Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 Zotac
    I don't get how DICE get away with stuff that any other game will be torn apart for. Yeah, they added free content, almost 2 years after launch (talking about Battlefield 4 here). Two years, during which the game was broken in so many way. It took them months to even start patching the mess they released. It took them literally years to fix some of the big problems. The internet is full of ridiculous clips from the game to this day, loading times are abysmal to this day, if I remember correctly they offered us the great chance to pay them so we can do their beta testing for Hardline, they released said pos Hardline and yet they are treated like the second coming based on a short trailer that only show time period, pretty much. I don't get it.

5. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Looking forward to topless PETA demonstrations due to the dead horses in the game :p

Seeing this with a objective eye, I guess im done with battlefield. same old sandbox game with different maps with just a different theme / vehicles / weapons and melee combat as a bonus. (lol). it wont be dumbed down like star wars, but still.
    Its a stale series to me, just like assasins creed and call of duty.

6. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    How can you possibly know how it "feels" from a CGI movie trailer of a game with no gameplay footage?
    And Hardline was dead on arrival lol.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I can see some fun factors with stuff like:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leach_Trench_Catapult

8. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB
    Liked the video. Waiting for WWI destruction on all levels!

9. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X

Probably because:
    1.) they did fix it, and it is pretty great. (can't say too many other companies go to the length they did to get it working awesome...you think UBI gonna fix the division )
    2.) they didn't just sit around doing nothing post launch, they were releasing a lot of patches, and steadily fixing things.
    3.) Netcode, lol go play CoD that netcode has trade kills and rubberbanding just as often.
    4.) In addition, I think a lot of complaints about the netcode were from people who have never played the original BF or BF2. Their netcode was much worse, much... much worse. Of course back then we weren't all under the delusion that we were mommies pro gamer special snowflake, so back then we just dealt with it and had fun instead of getting all petitiony about it like our feelings and hopes and dreams of being a pro were crushed.

5.) There really isn't anything else like BF. Sure maybe the F2P planteside 2( yech).

6.) DICE really puts an effort into their games to at least push them forward technologically.

7.) the internet is full of ridiculous clips of every game, and I am sure you can type any game into reddit, and find some tool whining about it.

10. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Meh. We need more real major wars in real life soon so we can have more variety in COD and Battlefield. Trump 2016 (lulz post)

11. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Count me in! Loved some of the World War one fighter games of amiga days so if this part is done right it's going to be great.

If they do include tanks will be interesting to see what transpires....

12. Deragot

Deragot Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 Zotac
    Ok let's see:
    1) not completely fixed but in a way, way better condition than launch, but since you are comparing to Devision, lets give Ubi two years and see, shall we? Because The Devision is in a way better state right now than battlefield 4 2 months after launch :)
    2) I don't say they lacked in willingness and effort, I just doubt their capability. So they get poits for participation.
    3 & 4) I have played alot of BF since the first one and also a lot of CoD since the first one. I have never had the problems near the level of the troubles of BF4 (I never mentioned but I really like the game, although not especially my type of MP). But you excuse that there are worse cases is not an excuse but a symptom of what I speak of - people TRY to make excuses for DICE in cases where they will be out for the blood of any other developer ?!
    5) I agree, it is unique and as I said I appreciate this
    6) Won't argue here, though I hate the loeading times in BF4 and DA:Inquisition
    7)Really? Again with the excuse "there are others like them"? Although few other top tier games have earned so much money to youtubers just by being broken.
    TLDR: I like the game and the company, though their exclusivity with EA annoys me big time, you know why. But they are not that special so as to get a free pass for everything.

13. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Everything you know and love from previous BF games will be included. Just very early forms. Tanks, cannons, TNT, biplanes and cavalry charges.

This video from Flakfire give an excellent breakdown of the weapons and vehicles shown in the video.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  14. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    I believe it was broken at launch, but was fixed after the first major patch landed after a few months. After that, most things generally work as they should. Obviously there are still some minor nuisances here and there, but every game has them. Netcode was fine, problem simply stemmed from a large ping difference. Until we find a faster way to transport data around, all multiplayer games will have this problem.

Compared to The Division, I wouldn't say BF4 was worse (launch states). There are constantly server performance issues in The Division (lag spikes, disconnections, etc.), skill glitches (cooldowns, hitboxes, inverted stats, etc.), map glitches, and not to mention cheating and basically the absolutely broken PVP mechanics.

Loading time wise, The Division IMO is the slower game. Both are on the same SSD for me (Sandisk Extreme Pro) but BF4 loads games in under a minute while The Division is usually over that (not counting the times where it gets stuck on "connecting" and I have to restart the game).

I like the game too don't get me wrong, but there are so many things broken in it. Like every game release these days, things WILL be broken. Everything needs a good few patches, which is unfortunate.

15. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I wonder what will be in the campaign mode? I guess there will be some submarine action, but whether they'll include things like the battle of Hill 60 (apparently there was more than one hill 60), the Gallipoli campaign, or the temporary truces is yet to be seen. They were all pretty big things of World War I. The battle of Hill 60 I'm referring to is the one with one of the biggest non-nuclear explosions in history. The truces were mostly in 1914 and unofficial, and ranged from just being able to collect the dead to actually celebrating Christmas (sharing food, gifts, carol singing, playing football etc) with the people they were firing at a few hours before (and knowingly will so again the next day). They weren't really repeated the following years because fraternisation with the enemy wasn't seen as a good thing! ...

16. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I'm looking forward to this Battlefield title. There are few recent WW1 games so this is one to definitely check out

I'll be purchasing this game once released!

17. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    They are calling it 'moments' this time around. Moments from different perspectives of the timeline, basically.

18. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Always makes me giggle when people want credit and clickbait for producing a video which amounts to using the pause button on the remote...

Anyone used to have a friend like that? Who hogged the remote at their domicile? Where they would channel flick at random, pause DVD's etc and fast forward recorded TV and miss the end of the adverts and would have to keep going back and forward so you'd get the first minute or so of tv at 50X speed?

Used to drive me nuts.

I remember once I 'accidentally' borrowed someone's remote control and it drove them crazy. I returned it the next day, by 'finding' it behind the sofa.

I'll tell that story to my grandkids. Considering their grandmother got into an argument with her boyfriend once over a tv remote and immediately hooked up with me, will be a really amusing anecdote...

I stay healthy, work out and do cardio just so I'll live to see that day. It'll be the same day I'll tell the tale about how I never returned an original Game-boy to a fat chick I dated once, just so I could steal her Game-boy.

Thanks Haley!

Dum de dum-dum, de dum-dum, de de dum, de-dum de dum dum dum, dee dum dum dum, dum.

19. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I just hope they don't split the player base up so much as they have done for ever now with endless amounts of dlc.

It's not really a problem while a game is new but i like the games i like to last longer than a year before they kill it off with dlc and talk of another new title.

An example of that (BF4) is i can no longer find anyone playing my favorite maps or having a good map rotation with full servers after 10pm here in the UK.

I end up playing 24/7 Locker on a German server at night because it's the only server where there's a cue to get in all night.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  20. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Now all of the sudden I want to play Battlefield 1942...