NVIDIA New GTX 1080 Cooler Design Kinda Confirmed

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 6, 2016.

1. Haftarun8

Haftarun8 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 670 FTW 2GB
    I kind of hope Nvidia gets embarrassed by AMD this round, speaking as someone who's only bought Nvidia for a long time now. I want them to stop being able to get away with selling a mid-range chip at a premium high-end price. A x104 chip around 300mm^2 or smaller should NOT cost $550...that's what the 500mm^2 chips used to go for for many years. Even adjusting for inflation, a GP104 midrange gpu should cost at most $400 (for a GTX"1080"), and allow for 2-3 models based on the GP100 chip costing $500, $550, $600 or so. Titan was their way of forcing $1000 price tags on what used to be $500 gpus. Save the fancy names and prices for the professional Quadro and Tesla markets and start competing against AMD with your real high-end chips, not mid-range crap in high-end clothing.

2. BD2015

BD2015 Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1080 Ti x2
    Well, this is a thread about the card's design. I doubt you'll see something like: "I'm not buying this card - it's too ugly" under performance reviews.

3. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti

That has a lot in common with the cooler design.... not

4. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Marketing. Pascal is meant to be a next step for Nvidia so what better way to put that out there than to make a huge change to some aspect of the card. Good or bad love it or hate it the whole point is to make it stand out and if folk are talking about it (be they like it or not) then they have done their job.

Making it look like their older cards would be a mistake, too much risk of it just blending in and not standing out as much.

Oh and as someone else said a lot of folk will buy third party cards with third party coolers on them ;)

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Was ugly before... remains ugly.

6. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Hot dang ! What an ohh so fugly reference cooler :wanker: , it really reminds me of Transformers , looks almost exactly as the promotion of the movie " Transformers Dark Of The Moon " :p

[​IMG]

7. ivymike10mt

ivymike10mt Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Mby shape is for increasing air pressure, and more good for turbulences..?
    I don't care much how look GPU. Performance have matter!

8. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Hahah...no. But it wouldn't surprise me if they'd use something like that as a marketing ploy.

9. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    noise is all I can think of when looking at ref coolers

10. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    My guess is because a lot of people have been asking for a change in the way the cooler looks. Hence Titan X being black and.. this.. thing.
    What I don't understand is why they didn't make the shroud symmetric. I'm pretty sure this is why it's getting weird looks from people. Symmetry pleases the brain.

At this point it just looks like a poor geometry job to me.
    Maybe they hired an intern to design it.

Hahahah kek don't give them marketing ideas.
    'When you power it on it's going to smooth itself'.

The Titan fulfills 2 roles in my opinion:
    1. filling a niche gaming-rendering market (not the case with the Titan X since its DP performance is crap).
    2. making the second highest-end card look better. Think about it. You're more tempted to consider the $650 card when you see similar performance in a $1000 card. A silly marketing ploy.

Highly doubtful, you do not want turbulence inside that 'vacuum chamber' (I do not know how it's called) inside the cooler. The blower-type cooler basically isolates as much air from the outside, it only lets air coming from the fan in and only lets air go out through an exhaust.

Same principle with computer cases. Improper cable management messes up case airflow.
    Only if your case is closed of course, an open case significantly deters proper airflow anyway.

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Can't care don't care. Closed Case, underneat Desk... whoop!

I will be slapping an Arctic Cooler on it anyways.