Asynchronous Compute

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Carfax, Feb 25, 2016.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
  2. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    amd drivers did get better after they got called out several times, I still dont see how consoles have much to do with their drivers getting better? (some other people keep bringing them up) Their two biggest problems were crappy frametimes and overhead, theyve made huge improvements in both.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  3. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Who's saying that consoles has anything to do with drivers?

Their drivers got better but it's a really minor improvement overall and they still sucks compared to NV's DX11 driver in pretty much every CPU limited situation.

4. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It's from 33-50% up in draw call performance. That's not minor.

5. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    [​IMG]

Nvidia clearly gimping maxwell in favor of kepler now ;)

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I think WoW had the same performance in favor nvidia, most blizzard games do. Kinda surprised by the numbers, game isnt hard to run at all.

Gonna be more interesting to see FM6 dx12 performance tommorow, hopefuly.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  7. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    If you refer to my argument, I simply said they don't care, not that they gimped. Overwatch is not exactly an example of a modern game with a modern engine.

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    from 1.1mill to ~1.5mill? Dunno still seems low compared to 2.5mill by nv gpu e.g. 780gtx or 980ti for that matter..

jk

And how is that 280X @ min 37 avg 48fps vs 780gtx @ min 54 avg 59fps or even 770gtx now?

Had to rub it in a little :p :D

Dunno, from what I saw WOW is mostly low threaded game, that's why nv pulls ahead so much, it has a lot of drawcalls by both single and multi threaded parts.

9. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000

I wasn't referring to you haha just posting overwatch results and being cheeky

10. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Well, you're both right. I'm a long time StarCraft player, and the SC2 engine (which is more or less the Blizzard engine) is seriously NVIDIA favorited :(

11. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Do you even lift? if u still play SC2 let me know in the pm :D

But ye sc engine always favor nvidia, but it's one of the worst engines ever, can't utilize even two cores as needed, overwatch seems to have improved engine at last.

12. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    That's minor since it resulted in a very small performance gains in actual games.

13. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Overwatch is exactly a modern game with a modern engine. Not like you have a slightest clue what constitutes a modern engine and modern game, but I'll give you a clue, it's not all about photorealism.

14. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    I don't know about that, but dismissing the result simply because it doesn't stress the same aspects of the GPU as "modern games" do (compute, console ports, GCN on console) isn't a very good argument.

The real issue here is that High End cards will get very high framerates, which means geometry is being stressed, which means this sucks for GCN, also driver overhead will impair those high fps. I don't expect Fury cards to do much better than Hawaii here

I'm more interested in seeing the performance charts at very high resolutions say 5k

That should result in gains for GCN vs NV

I hate having to say 'GCN vs NV' btw, I know one is a company and the other a family of uarchs but saying fermi/kepler/maxwell/pascal is too much

15. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    You could argue that Heroes and SC2 (who share the engine) are modern games. But they are using only two threads. There are a lot of games that don't have photorealism but they are properly threaded at least.

That lead to the introduction of the 300 series. Please let's not get into this again.

16. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Well, you should consider that this "vs" there is actually different for Fermi, Kepler and Maxwell at least so saying GCN vs NV isn't really telling much.

That lead to nothing. Games which were faster on NV because of their superior DX11 drivers are still faster on NV even after the release of 300 series. Cue in the Overwatch case from previous page. Precisely because the driver related increases were minimal.

17. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    Can't argue with that, I'm just lazy :p

You could say the same for the various iterations of GCN though, so at least I'm impartial in my laziness

18. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    Neither 390x, nor FuryX? Alrighty then.

19. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    Overclock your memory, congratulations, you just upgraded to a 390

20. Prefix