Musk: almost 400K people pre ordered Tesla Model 3

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Not hardware related, but definitely something that the Guru3D reader appeals. It is fairly crazy, yet good to see that Tesla now has seen 400.000 pre-orders for the more affordable Tesla Model 3....

Musk: almost 400K people pre ordered Tesla Model 3

2. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    what, that's €400 million right there, guess that covers a massive amount of factory start up costs

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    My main complaint is that there's almost no charging stations, and due to legal reasons it's not always easy for people without their own property (or with mixed property, condos or apartments for instance) to have one built in their home. And there's literally a single charging station here in Vienna, and that's at the Tesla seller... the next one you can't even reach with a full charge (other bigger cities here in Austria).

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to jump the hype train, but the infrastructure isn't ready everywhere, so they won't sell those cars to everybody. I couldn't have a charging station built at my home even if I wanted to, not to mention spending $35k or more likely, €40k for a car plus another 1-5k for my own charging station at home...

4. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yeah we need more charging stations here too.. I like that Tesla is becoming larger globally, the infrastructure should surely follow when enough people are on board.
    I like hearing about Elon Musk and his endeavors.

5. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    400k of hipsters. :D

Remember when appear overpriced Apple iPhone in 2007 and everybody omg,omfg get him.And now everybody have a smart phone with touch screen.

After 10 years,maybe,1bilion people will have electric car if oil company will wanna let us.So no worry.

6. gUNN1993

gUNN1993 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 Windforce 3

Naa, hipsters have the Nissan leaf, electric cars before they were cool.

7. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I honestly thought about it, but still too high for me. When there are Tesla's or electric cars in the 20k range with the range or near the range of a gas powered car and looks comfortable, I'll get one. Until then I'll stick with my Focus.

8. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I will be in the market for one once they actually arrive to my local dealership.
    I'm in no rush for it..but would be awesome to get one.. I'm sick of relying completely on oil and will welcome the change

9. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    I thought tesla didn't do dealerships and only sold them directly through their own storefronts (unless that's what you meant).

I remember hearing about how petrol car companies were trying to block tesla direct selling.

10. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Yes, that is what I meant by dealership. There is one here in the city not far from me.

Can't wait for when the model 3 arrives.. wanna take it foe a test drive :)

11. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Unless you are using solar power or wind power to charge the thing then it's pointless if you ask me.

You still need to burn a lot of fossil fuels to power the thing. So i'm not too sure about electric cars tbh.

I would rather they just make Hydrogen powered cars instead as the tech is already available for it to happen. They just need to make F1 fuel tanks available to general motor manufacturers and then we have an endless supply of super cheap rocket fuel for the road.

You could even be able to make Hydrogen at home very easily but even that needs some power use from fossil fuels or you could just wire up a solar panel to the H2O smasher for totally free fuel.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  12. Juni0rM1nt

Juni0rM1nt Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming GTX 1080Ti G.X
    Where do I sign up to get one of these babes? 218miles/ charge is 4 times > the best GM offer!!

13. maize1951

maize1951 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 8GB
    Here in Michigan they don't allow direct selling of Tesla cars, in fact our governor signed a bill into law (supported by the extremely powerful Michigan Automotive Dealers Association) that only allows cars to be sold thru dealers and no direct selling to customers.

14. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti

^^^^ Yes. I do not understand why electric cars are so "It's zero emission". Nah it ain't. Folks would be so much better off buying a car running on natural gas if they want to be green. At least here in the states, a majority of power comes from coal which is significantly worse than just running a normal car on gas.

15. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    That must have been what I remember reading about.

Governor basically taking money in pocket to say this.

Reminds me of NYC taxi company protesting and trying to outlaw uber.

16. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    What you say is true.. however here in Vancouver where I live, 95% of our electricity is created from HydroElectric... so, in our case here on the West Coase, it really is practically legit 0 emission..

Living elsewhere, obviously then yes, you are generating that electricity from other potentially unclean/unrenewable means.

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    But on other hand, having own charging station will spike your power consumption so much, that you'll get to pay much less for 1kWh. You'll never feel need to remove xmas lighting again. :D

18. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Yeah I'm not saying it's not possible, it's just for the majority of the people out there buying these cars to "be green", they're totally missing the whole picture. Anything will always have an embodied energy. It will always take some investment of energy to get energy out, it just depends on how efficient it is over its lifespan. Dams for example take a sh!t ton of work to create, so it would take a very long time for them to pay off. Solar and wind are actually pretty good apart from being intermittent. Nuclear is good if maintained well. Everything else that is used majorly right now isn't though.

With that said, I'm still not a fan of electric cars/elon musk myself. I'd much rather have the symphony of a V8 welcome me every time I step on the gas.

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    You can get Turbine engine instead. But it has little downside...
    Seen at 1:24.

It can be quite efficient, if you can drive it at maximum rpm :)

20. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    I couldn't care less about emissions or whatever, but folks just read something before posting, your energy company's power plants are light years ahead in efficiency compared to the average car, having 2m little moving gas plants vs 10 huge city plants is still a huge step

and people complaining about stations I don't see the problem unless you live in the US/Canada/japan, almost the entire rest of the world uses 220v+ lines, enough to fill a tesla overnight

when I see the big picture, how the worldwide infrastructure for gas powered cars is compared to what the EV one would be, there's just no excuse not to switch, using gas just seems like a freaking huge waste of resources