AMD Radeon Software Crimson 16.4.1

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by d2kx, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Sorry my mistake,there is a incorrect driver there: I tested and on 15.11.1 Catalyst.Which had -5fps against 16.4.1 on this old game,but I think its not important.

True,without testing we dont know how a system will perform with newer drivers on Windows 10 or 7 or 8.1.
    Many have returned to Windows 8.1 or 7.

2. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    and many have not. Some people still swear by XP as well. Some people think 7 is the answer to everything, maybe for their system it is. It's not a fix for everyone, because some people don't have crashes in windows 10.

Just as easy to blame windows 10 as it is nvidia or amd or whatever.

Chances are it is some other problem, just doesn't show itself in windows 7.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  3. AkiraLeir

AkiraLeir Member

GPU:
    RX5500 XT
    Oh well... back to 15.11.1, as this one made my Windows installation (10 build 14316) literally unusable after opening Tree of Savior, such as turning context menus into transparent empty boxes, start menu and task bar unclickable, and slowing down (at least graphically) the whole system to a crawl.

Of course, not a single problem with 15.11.1 so far, so I guess I'll stick with it until this f******* OS pushes another unsolicited driver update, forcing me to reinstall the last non-crap version once again.

4. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Am I wrong or are you blaming the OS and the driver for instability while you are in the fast ring?

[​IMG]

5. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    are you implying 586 is stable [​IMG]

6. akirabbq

akirabbq Member

GPU:
    Vega FE
    R9 Fury is plagued with screen corruption or black screen problem for long. AFAIK that's why the crimson driver introduced the "power efficiency" option recently but it does not 100% cure the problem. In my case only the HDMI connection is affected but not the DisplayPort.

7. AkiraLeir

AkiraLeir Member

GPU:
    RX5500 XT

How is that selective reading going?

I am pretty sure that I was blaming the driver for ****ting up my system, not the OS.

Sadly I have no meme reaction image for you.

8. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    I know lots of people with Furys that have zero problems. with or without crimson.

your "plagued" is hyperbole.

9. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    Windows 10 is rock solid for a lot of people, myself included.

10. AHPD

AHPD Active Member

GPU:
    Nitro+ RX 6800 XT
    R9 Fury here. Had display corruption issues in idle all the time, and had to work around with ClockBlocker until I found out what was really wrong. No display corruption issues for at least three months already.

Display driver had its share of blame, but user-installed stuff causing conflicts is the biggest culprit.

I tried to help few times, but it's useless.

Even at ClockBlocker thread, people are using the software for completely unintended means. I don't have a GCN 1.1 card, but how ClockBlocker behaves on Tahiti XTL and Fiji, I know what I am talking about. I still have a R9 280X Toxic laying around.

I tested that software since its very first build, to work around two issues:

1) Display corruption caused by fluctuating clocks in very small steps like going from 300Mhz to 308Mhz. Keeping clocks maxed out all the time resolved corruption issues in idle.
    1.1) I did not need to reboot my computer. Merely resetting clocks and display using MSI AB or starting a full-screen game and quit back to desktop, would reset and display desktop properly.

2) Increase performance in CPU-bound scenarios where the PowerPlay misbehaves and clocks down the card for nothing.
    2.1) Absolutely useless for my specific Tahiti card, as the clocks aren't dynamic as Fiji. Would stay maxed out and boosted all the time no matter the scenario.

AMD made PowerPlay less stupid in 16.2. I have not seen display going garbled/distorted with strange rainbow-like colored artifacts ever since.

1) Power Efficiency wasn't introduced to deal with display corruption, and turning it if such feature existed back at 15.12 would cause an uncontrollable corruption festival.
    2) Power Efficiency was introduced to do what still ClockBlocker does better.
    3) AMD again made PowerPlay less stupid and won't clock down that hard anymore, no matter if you turn Power Efficiency on or off.

So my current usage is:

1) I no longer use ClockBlocker.
    2) Use a single monitoring software (MSI AB) for all my monitoring needs. The offending software at that time has been fixed, but I no longer use it.

To anyone facing display corruption and still complaining and not willing to do a proper research, all I can recommend is to sell off your AMD card and get a Nvidia one. I say that because, certainly AMD don't make our lives easier, effectively screwing both end users and software developers alike with half-baked solutions at launch.

Nowadays Fiji as a flagship card, is a great product, but did not enjoy a trouble-free launch, taking six months to become stable and usable.

11. akirabbq

akirabbq Member

GPU:
    Vega FE
    I know this option is for keeping the GPU clock up during a game, but the fact is when the Power Efficiency is off, the screen corruption/black screen during idle/video is almost gone in 16.3.2 but the problem returns in 16.4 in my case.

If I use DisplayPort on the same monitor (Asus PA246Q) then there is no screen corruption problem, BUT the annoying thing is all windows will be resized after the monitor has been switched off, or sometimes the desktop is stuck at 640x480 after sleep until I keep hitting Win+P to force refreshing the desktop. There is a registry hack to keep the window resolution state but it does not work all the time (or stuck at 1080p instead of 1200p). My previous card is a 7970 and it gave almost zero problem for more than 3 years, and so was the 6950 and 4850. The Fury is driving me nuts for almost a year since I owned it.

AMD also somehow disabled the HEVC hw acceleration after 15.2. The feature is still there but it's been disabled by default. Need to use DXVA Checker to re-enable VForceUVDH265.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  12. THEAST

THEAST Guest

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    Oh, you guys are talking about that entry in the known issues list of some of the past few drivers that talks about screen corruption after the machine is left idle for a while, which is apparently limited to the Fury cards? I don't have a Fury, and my problem does not happen when the machine is left idle, it happens completely randomly. I think my problem is probably related to the cable.

13. AHPD

AHPD Active Member

GPU:
    Nitro+ RX 6800 XT
    I did not test HDMI, but with both a Lenovo DP cable and the supplied DP-DVI adapter + DVI-DL cable supplied with the monitor, I'd get display corruption, no changes at all.

For some reason using DisplayPort won't default to 120hz in my system, with both 280X and Fury.

I recently tested a GTX750Ti in my system and it does default to 120hz with DisplayPort.

Like I said, AMD do not like to make our lives easier.

14. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    English is not my native language, but you can't really blame me for understanding that you blame the OS too, after reading that sentence. And yes, blaming drivers and the OS if you are on the fast ring, deserves a meme response.

15. ddelamare

ddelamare Guest

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 1070 X4
    Did AMD Nuke the pre-defined crossfire profiles in 16.4.1? I no longer see this for individual games? or I'm having a funny moment... :S

I could have swore they were there on the last version...

16. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    they are in there.

[​IMG]

17. ddelamare

ddelamare Guest

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 1070 X4
    Ah interesting ok, its appears when you have VSR enabled on the desktop it cut those off. Reset everything back to 1080p desktop and they are there.

Thought i was going bonkers :)

Cheers!

18. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    ewwww :D i use vsr as well. but 1440p desktop resolution on 1080p monitor. doesnt that look like ... c r a p? :D

19. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    No need to go back to 1080p just click the fullscreen button for crimson and it will show up.

20. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    i tried it once, looks like some smeared Vaseline all over my screen.

I see no reason to ever leave native for desktop. Particularly at 1080p

Thats what windows scaling is for.,