i7 860 with recent games and new GPU

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by L0cusT, Apr 12, 2016.

1. L0cusT

L0cusT Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5770 1GB x2
    Hi,

Im about to buy a new GPU as my current is getting old and im not able to run recent games anymore (Division and soon Doom 4)

I actually have 2x HD 5770 in crossfire and im ready to replace that by a MSI R9 380 4 GB : https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/R9-380-GAMING-4G.html#hero-overview

I would like to know if my old system could bottleneck the new GPU ??

One thing i tested with a friend, we took out his GTX 770 and put in my computer, and we were able to run everything but i noticed CPU was heating a lot, even with an after market cooler on the CPU (around 65-70 celcius) is it normal ?

My CPU has Turbo Boost enabled up to 3.4 ghz (stock is 2.8 ghz)

Should i buy this GPU or is it a mistake ?

Thank you :)

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I think that CPU can be overclocked and be able to offer still enough compute power to move games.
    However, i7 860 runs a bit hot when overclocked, i had mine for a few months at 3,4 GHZ idling at 55 C, while gaming reaching 70 C.I had an Artic Freezer cooler on top of that CPU, but there is room for improvement.
    But often CPU are binned, so temps may vary.

3. L0cusT

L0cusT Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5770 1GB x2
    Thanks for the reply

Mine idles at around 40-50 and it goes up to 70 in games. I have the same cooler you had (Arctic Freezer 7 Pro rev.2)

I heard Xeon processors could fit on my motherboard and are cheaper, more power and more heat max (can take up to 83 degres). So better OC potential...maybe this could help ?

4. L0cusT

L0cusT Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5770 1GB x2
    Unfortunately my board doesnt take LGA1366 :(

Best Xeon i can use is X3480 wich is not better than I7 860...

This is so bad news.... i found a X5687 for 100$ wich is a LOT better than my I7 860 ...i guess i'll stick with this until i change my MB and CPU

5. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I would suggest something like a used R9 290X,r9 290, I also had the Gtx 770 that card would also be a good pair for your cpu.

How do you like running those 5770s? I would guess 2 of those cards schould rival a single 5870?

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    What you have is fine.

If its got a decent clock of 3.6+ i would keep what you have and wait for kaby lake or similar. 870 plenty for a 380

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I would agree with Agent. Go with R9 380, that CPU will be fine if clocked to 3.5Ghz+.

8. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Your Intel DP55WG motherboard is LGA1156 socket, so sadly you can`t fit LGA1366 CPU on it, like those from Xeon X56xx series.

tbh Xeon X3480 ia a bit better than yours Core i7-860: higher quality silicon (for sure) on that Xeon in most cases results in a bit lower temps and better chances for higher OC, also higher multiplier on that Xeon X3480 means easier/higher OC and less stress on motherboard because of lower BCLK for the same OC frequency compared to i7-860 runing on the same OC frequency (but with lower multiplier and higher BCLK).

If you can`t find X3480 for something like 50, 60, 70 or 80$ max then imho it`s not worth to get it over i7-860 you`re having atm.

Doesn`t matter if you stay with i7-860 or go with X3480 my advice is to OC the hell out of it. With decent CPU cooler (heatpipe based or AiO) expect at least 3.8GHz from both with HT on, 4GHz with HT would be a sweet spot for i7-860, some 100MHz or a bit more with HT for X3480. Maintain good airflow inside the case and try to stay below 70C when they are max stressed. Good TIM is also important, my choice for years is Arctic MX-2.

If you need more info don`t hesitate to ask, first (cherry picked) i7-920 C0 I had bought long time ago: December 2008, first Xeon X5675 at the begining of 2013. Since 2008 lots of 1366 and 1155 CPUs had went through my hands, mostly i7s, but that first one i7-920 C0, first X5675 and first i7-2600K were my true love, and still they are :) So far think I still have around 8 or 9 CPU`s from 1366 and 1155 generation, 3 of those are still fully operative and OCed (and cooled of course) like there is no tomorrow, other 5 or 6 (all of them are cherry picked OCers) are boxed with their stock coolers waiting for my grandchildren one day so I could show them what were the beast back in early days of 21st century :D

edit
    As other Gurus here already said Radeon 380 4GB or even 380X 4GB would be right match for that OCed i7-860 and gaming in 1080p. If you have money then go for it, you wont regret it. Performance increase would be significant compared to those 2x 5770.

edit #2
    Guess that Intel DP55WG motherboard would be first limiting factor when it comes to higher OC, never had one but my guess is that that mobo won`t achieve high BCLK like some other mobos with same chipset from Asus, GigaByte... Search a bit about OC on this mobo before you try OC higher than 3.6GHz on that i7-860.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  9. L0cusT

L0cusT Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5770 1GB x2
    Thanks !

crossfire 5770 is a bit stronger i think, i hit 5400 points in 3dmark11

i can run most games with decent fps but recently i tried "The Division" in wich i get from 1 to 30 fps...totally unstable. I couldnt run Black Ops 3 too..same for all recent games..its not really playable.

10. L0cusT

L0cusT Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5770 1GB x2
    You seems to have a lot of knowledge on those Cpus !

In term of overclocking the i7 860 i decided to not try too much since its already hitting around 70 degres with turboclock (3.4 ghz) I told myself i would not risk going to 3.6 (only +200mhz) since it will probably overheat even more.

Only thing i changed on my CPU is this :

I removed the stock cooler
    Removed old thermal paste
    I put on new Arctic MX-4 thermal paste
    Installed Arctic freezer pro 7 rev. 2

idle temp is better now, but in games its still reaching around 70 degres. And i change both 120mm case fans also for 2x cooler master 2000rpm ones...

Is there something else i could do or should i just leave it like that for now ? Do you think a better cooler would change something ? TBH my first option was a Corsair H60

11. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Did you tried to find lowest possible stable voltage for that 3.4GHz OC? How much Vcore are you pumping into thet CPU @ 3.4GHz when all threads are stressed under Prime95 for example? Lowering the voltage will have a noticable impact on temps when CPU is highly stressed.

imho 70C is a bit too much for such a low OC so something is clearly not right here:
    - too much CPU voltage
    - too much TIM (Arctic MX-4 is OK)
    - bad airflow through the case
    - or not adequate CPU cooling
    - also it could be crap CPU not capable for much of an OC but I wouldn`t bet my money on that.

Also as far I can tell from pics and reviews around the web that Arctic Freezer Pro 7 Rev. 2 doesn`t look promissing for OC. Try to find some more decent second hand heatpipe based CPU fan, some used Noctua should be fine + 2x 120mm or 140mm fans for push-pull.

edit
    For how much could you get Corsair H60? Even with just one 120mm fan on it it should be much better compared to Arctic Freezer Pro 7 Rev. 2, but add one more 120mm fan on H60 for push-pull and temps are going down a lot for sure. That i7-920 C0 in my everyday rig in my specs is running under Corsair H70 Core + 2x 120mm push-pull on radiator: 4GHz with HT @ 1.375V under Prime95 for all threads and not a single core is going above 68C. And that is for older/hotest C0 i7-920. Same Corsair H70 Core + 2x 120mm push-pull and everything alse the same but this time with another i7-920 I also have, this one is D0 OCed to 4.2GHz HT and 1.25"something"V iirc and not a single core is reaching more than 65, 66C max stressed under Prime95.

edit #2
    Just look at this review, i7-870 @ 4GHz / 1.388V, same cooler like yours and temps are just a bit higher than yours @ 3.4GHz. They did the test out of the case for sure and that also has an impact on temps but in your particular case my guess is that you`re pushing way too much Vcore into that CPU (Auto?) resulting in much higher temps.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  12. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

You will need to OC CPU bit more as with 3.4GHz will and can bottleneck GPU

Regarding yours CPU,this CPU should be possible to OC bit more than you are running,I would suggest bit better CPU cooler and try again there

I've previously too i7-860 which I OC to 4.0GHz with Corsair H50,I think I've run 1.32v vCore on this one,somewhere I've my settings saved on my HDD as I always saving my OC settings,temps on idle has been around 30C and on load has been in mid 60 under heavy load

Yours MB not sure there,I've used in past only one Intel MB and with this has been bit pain to OC and hasn't been very stable,I've used for my i7-860 Foxconn MB which hasn't been best too...

But as above I would say yours temps are high for this OC and really I would try to lower vCore and check how much there is thermal compound/paste,usually I'm putting as pea or BB,this method worked for me on Xeon X5670,i7-920 or on i7-4790k and on i7-860
    too

And what case do you have there?

Hope this helps and good luck there

Thanks,Jura

13. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
  14. L0cusT

L0cusT Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5770 1GB x2
    I think you're right about the voltage but i havent checked that really since turbo boost is automatic, ill try tonight and ill let you know! Thanks

15. L0cusT

L0cusT Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5770 1GB x2
    Hi ! I checked thermal paste before putting new cpu cooler, i put new paste there so it should be fine. Im gonna check the voltage since its been automatically put with turbo boost

My case is Thermaltake Swing VB6000BWS . I think its well made but a bit small. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133172

I put two 2000 rpm fans in there and temperature is around 26 degres in the case

Thanks!

16. L0cusT

L0cusT Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5770 1GB x2
    I received my new R9 380 and surprise : Bios wont load

lol

I am so frutrated right now, this motherboard is CRAP

I have an error code on the motherboard's 2 digit screen "EB" i searched on forums and this means there is something wrong with GPU.

I tried resetting CMOS, i tried switching jumper to "Config mode", "recovery Mode" i also checked bios version and im up to date. I think this is the problem, they havent put a new bios since 2012...Something make this card not supported by the motherboard but i dont know what it is...and i cant access bios setting with this card pluged in. I had to put back the HD5770 to check Bios settings. Still i cant find anything to make it work...

Someone said to change some voltages from 1.1 to 1.3 but i cant find wich one is it

Last week i tried my friend's GTX 770 on this same board and it worked, so im very surprised now that this R9 380 wont work! :bang:

My friend suggested we switch each other's GPU; i give him my new R9 380 4gb and he give me his GTX 770 4 gb . I think its a fair trade as both cards performs almost the same...what do you think ?

17. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I would check voltage as first there,case is not bad and with 200mm fans there should be plenty airflow,temps in case are pretty good there

Regarding the paste you will see there,but I will check if you can and if you will go route AIO something like above mentioned H80 or any other you should have better temps

Thanks,Jura

Hi there

Not sure if this is not related to UEFI,I think few people in past on some motherboard couldn't boot with UEFI switched R9 290 or 290x,on some GPU you have there switch UEFI and Legacy,not sure if this is on yours,but can you check this and what R9 do you have,from who MSI or XFX ,Sapphire etc ?

I would check connection too connection on PSU and did you plug both 6 pin and 8 pin to GPU or did you put only 6 pin,if you only put 6 pin,PC will not boot

R9 380 will be better on longer run there as it seems right now and in newer games,but you will see there

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

18. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    DONT swap the 380 for the 770, just DONT.

What PSU you have? Are you having the latest version of the bios/motherboard?

19. L0cusT

L0cusT Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5770 1GB x2
    R9 380 only has 2 x 6 pin connector, so i connected both (and they both work cause i used them for each hd 5770 cards)

20. L0cusT

L0cusT Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5770 1GB x2
    Why not , is the 380 that much better ? I checked many benchmark and comparison between the two cards, GTX 770 seems slightly faster , but i know the 380 is more future proof...but what else can i do lol

My Psu is Thermaltake purepower 750 watts and yes my bios is updated (well, Intel havent updated this bios since 2012 so no surprise here)

I will never buy an Intel board again