NVIDIA Pascal GP104 Die Photo

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Last week Nvidia announced the Tesla P100 data-center GPU and if you looked closely at the photo's you could already clearly see that big Pascal 15B transistor GPU being used. A new photo this time...

NVIDIA Pascal GP104 Die Photo

2. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 4090gamingOC
    warming up the wallets, time for some new gpus peeps.

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Not for this small guy. Big things are needed... Vega?

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    So no more GTX brand for nvidia after all this years, now its just X.

5. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Seems quite underwhelming, not even GDDR5X memory.

6. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    I'm not excited with this. Seems way underwhelming. Sure it will be faster than 9xx series but not that much. And since HDM and DDR5X are not ready yet for the mainstream we have to wait until the next generation to see a good performance jump. They need to push 4K gaming with a single card to the mainstream.

7. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Hm, going to be interesting to see what this turns out to be. Seems a bit underwhelming?

8. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Can't come soon enough, my 680 served me well for 4 years.

9. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    I am disappointed if we would not see GDDR5X but at the same time I'm questioning if in the end it's actually needed. Even an overclocked-to-hell 980Ti (only core OC) won't get bandwidth starved any time soon.

Let's be serious, the hype around HBM was retarded - I cannot describe it any other way. Crap like '4GB HBM = 8GB GDDR5' or 'HBM will make 4k possible on one single card'. What the fek seriously. Sounds like the same people who say that DDR4 made their PCs much faster (no IGP).

I haven't seen conclusive proof that HBM actually helps the Fury X to a tangible level. If anyone has such proof, please share it with me.

What makes you say that? Genuinely curious.

I believe it all depends on how they implement DX12 features.
    Atm AMD have an advantage in DX12 because everybody seems happy to jump to async shading but we haven't touched conservative rasterization yet, something GCN does not support.

If these guys (AMD/Nvidia) don't start supporting conservative raster and async shading respectively, we will see a huge ****fest similar to what's going on right now DX12-wise. Devs will have to side with one party and ditch the other.
    Occasionally we might have the amazing dev which will actually take the time to optimize properly for both parties (for example coding volumetric lighting to take advantage of either conservative raster or async shading at will). Like I said. Sh!tfest.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  10. BD2015

BD2015 Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1080 Ti x2
    I'd say this is just a filler to make some sales. Not what we're waiting for. (HBM2, 15B transistors)

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I tend to agree.

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I mean it basically lines up with what Polaris 10 is. We aren't getting consumer level 600mm2 cards first and we've known that for over a year. I'm not sure why people are surprised by the specs.

13. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I would think both amd and nvidia will have full dx12 support with the upcoming gpus. Even intel has.

14. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    This is proly the 2nd most important GPU in NV lineup. After GP100.
    Because of volumes sold at hefty prices in desktop and mobile, in both pro and GTX variant.

But how they'll be able to do it with GDDR5 and 256bit, I have no idea.
    Faster memory modules and better compression are obvious starting points.

Hopefully it will make 980Ti completely obsolete. No worries, it will :p
    Because anything else would be a fail.

15. evilos

evilos Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 970 G1
    ofc 1070 will be well worth it(again), 980ti performance level for about 350/400$$ and combine that with 8GB gddr5 onboard

16. warezme

warezme Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 970GTX Classified
    I don't see the problem as the GTX brand has been diluted to the point of being meaningless. It used to be only the high end models were GTX, like *70 and *80 series cards. Now you have GTX 950's out the *ss. Seriously? It's a 950.

17. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    This is such complete speculation. It all depends on the clocks too. This is more or less a shrunk 980Ti. If it hits 2GHz then it's fine.

18. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Word. The 950 should not get the GTX badge.
    But at least they dropped the GT vs Ultra suffixes, those were a bit confusing.

It should be as it was with the 500 series. 550 and under was GT, 560 and above was GTX.
    At least they're not overinflating their numbers like AMD does. 7850, 7870, 7950, 7970, 7990. Versus 650, 660, 670, 680, 690. WTF srsly. It's very confusing and even now I have to look up benchmarks every damn time I want to compare the cards.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  19. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    yes obviously it push to the top, but sadly for us AMD have made terrible choise of HBM1 wich is limited to 4gb...

so the perf are crippled due to lack of ramspace (and in some case even the previous gen high end do better).

now about the "GDDR5 only" drama: on pict i just see prototype or sample, if it work with GDDR5 then it work with GDDR5X too, it's pin to pin compatible (i can already smell old GPU stock with GDDR5X and a new name... lol).

and GDDR5X is clearly nice ram, and cost less than HBM2 (that will be used for high end in red and green flavor for sure).

"don't sell bear's skin before getting it first" none GPU from neither company are ready... let them come out and tested :)

20. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    GTX mean gaming
    not only high end at 4K over 100fps :)

there is some that doesn't need so much power (and money lol)
    the gtx950 is aimed at 1080 60fps for Moba and game like WoT etc... and it does this pretty well, and even in some top game from last year it perform really well (i was clearly impress the 1st time i pair it with I3... you get a lot for the money... i understand their success).

it is not high end GPU but clearly a GTX.