nVidia Vulkan Driver 364.91 Beta

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by stasio, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    They're not going to be using this driver, why? Because their PC/laptop is broke. :banana:

2. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Eh, just another day in PC land with people spouting everything that first comes to their brains.:stewpid:

3. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Did you read page 2 and tried this?

1. Run "regedt32.exe" from the Windows Run/Search command line. This will bring up the Registry Editor.
    2. Navigate to "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\nvlddmkm".
    3. Check if there is an entry for "EnableRuntimePowerManagement". If yes then delete this registry key.
    4. Reboot and enable SLI.

4. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Your with a single monitor there, the issue seems to be with SLI and multi monitor setups.
    Looks like it is related to a registry entry with the newer drivers.

5. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    No change [​IMG]

6. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    is this driver safe to use? after all these bricking issues with 364.51 and 364.72.

7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yes it's fine. I played fo4 and witchers 2 & 3 with no problems.

8. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It's really not. Old h/w which can't perform on anything close to real time in modern workloads and will be 4 (!) generations old in a couple of months. I see no point in NV spending resources on supporting it in VK and much prefer for them to concentrate on the h/w which is actually active at the moment.

9. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Oh ok then, thanks for the clarification.

10. yobooh

yobooh Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1
    a gtx 580-590 it's still powerfull enought to support modern games at 30fps.
    They are old...ok, but there is no motivation to leave support to an open standard as Vulkan for still active cards.
    Not everybody buy a new card every year, I'm still happy with my 660ti sli and i won't change until I can play in a decent way for my tastes.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016

11. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7700 XT
    You don't need DX12/Vulkan support for Fermi because any half-assed CPU can push Fermi to it's limit with DX11. Also, the market share is too small so why waste engineers on it?

12. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Define "modern games" to me 'cause I see that most modern AAA games aren't running at 30 fps even on a GTX680/GTX770 in 1080p. These cards are ~50% faster than 580 and on par with 590 even when SLI works as intented - which isn't happening too often these days.

The motivation is pretty clear: NV doesn't have unlimited s/w resources and it must concentrate on h/w which will actually provide any kind of relevant performance in those Vulkan games.

The "not everybody buy a new card every year" argument is seriously tiresome at this point as we are talking about cards released in December 2010. That's more than FIVE YEAR AGO.

13. Loster

Loster Master Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Had a crash with Ryse Son of Rome. Back to 364.72
    Performance was exactly the same anyway.

14. yobooh

yobooh Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1
    Surely you won't play Quantum Break if not in low resolutions, and the same is for poorly optimized games that suffer also with newer cards...but a lot of AAA titles in Medium-High setting are playable on those cards (exluding High texture for the ram limit). And do not forget that also playing @900p is an alternative and have still XboxOne quality.
    Surely NVIDIA it's not obligated to support a so old card but I'm starting to prefer AMD support for old generations!
    With pascal release Nvidia will forget also kepler? I'm worried about this.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  15. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Oh yeah, that legendary AMD support for old generations. Let's go and check how exactly AMD is supporting 6000 cards which came out at the same time as Fermi? Vulkan is running fine on them? Or DX12 maybe?

As been said here already if you are so GPU limited that you have to go down to 1600x900 then you don't need any APIs but DX9/11/OGL anyway.

Again: I very much prefer NV not splitting their resources to support NEW APIs on cards which are FIVE YEARS OLD. This isn't something new and this is how it always was with new APIs so worrying is nice and all but reality check - old h/w won't be supported forever, you will have to upgrade or you will miss out on new features / games. If you think that AMD is somehow better in supporting older h/w - don't let the door hit you on your way to the red side.

16. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Dude hes not the only one with the problem....that was not called for.

It's not uncommon for these things to happen with drivers and aging hardware.

I would be different if you had clicked the link and it ended up being total hogwash, but it wasn't.

17. Lots of people use Fermi. Perhaps it is not as 'aged" some say.

Stay on the topic of the thread.

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Just played BF3 mp for the first time on this 980ti @ 2160p ultra settings and wow it runs great, wasn't really expecting that lol, my old 780 OC'ed couldn't handle 1440p+.

Ok except Batman AK stutters like crazy in town with fps drops, but I think its internal fps limit fault, vsync off and no fps limit it was smooth through whole benchmark, vsync on stream and benchmark stuttered like crazy.

19. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    What was their first post? What was my reply?...check back the convo after that then ask my why I should'nt report you for singling ME out.

20. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    And you're assuming.
    You are making assumptions about what GhostXL read and didn't read in the thread.

I've also read the entire thing, and your post is the only one that stands out. It was uncalled for in every sense of the word.