MSI X99 motherboards now fully support Intel next-gen Broadwell-E processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Poor Tom

Poor Tom Guest

GPU:
    6900XT OC
    FYI, I got an infinite boot loop after flashing the X99S Krait bios. Tried twice with the same result. Even after getting out of it by clearing cmos and then just changing the boot order & saving resulted in infinite boot loop. Guess there is a price to pay for being first to offer support for new cpu's. Any one else have experience with this?

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Sorry, wrong mainboard. But lately I've been a bit careful about BIOS versions and flashing, so probably wouldn't have tried it unless I got a new CPU ;)

4. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    Thats one heck of a CINEBENCH R15 score. Over 3x times what my setup can manage...I bet its expensive with 44 threads on 1 cpu?:)

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    hehe I thought the same, got to 1337 exactly the last time I ran cinebench :D

6. SuperAverage

SuperAverage Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte xtreme 1080
    This interests me, as I do some music and video stuffs, and the DPC latency of the 170 chipsets can cause issues with these tasks.
    I still use my 4790k on a z87 chipset because of the very low DPC characteristics, and can't think spending a ton of money on the new 170 chipsets and future 8 core cpus that will cause issues.

The X99 chipsets have very similar DPC characteristics to the z87/z97 chipsets.

I'm just wondering how much an 8 core or 10 core broadwell-E will be.

I'm guessing these don't have unlocked multipliers?

7. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    https://www.scan.co.uk/products/int...hz-36ghz-turbo-55mb-40-lane-96gt-s-qpi-145w-o

It is £3547.73 Inc VAT for the Xeon alone never mind the new X99 motherboard, memory, everything else to use it.

I only still have an X58 motherboard with a 6 core i7 970 which cost me €120 second hand.

My cinebench score is 738. That one was 2973.

So it is exactly only 4x as fast (€4,437.05 / €120) for 37 times the cost

So you could buy 4 x 970 for €480 for equivalent performance which is 9x times cheaper.

You could buy 37 x i970 CPUs for €4,437.05 for a total Cinebench performance of 27,306 (738 x 37) which is for same price over 9x faster than the single Xeon.

So which would make better sense if you are trying to render as many frames as possible per minute on render farm?

And my 970 cores run at 3.2Ghz instead of 2.2Ghz so gaming and 90% of other software is faster because they run on 1-4 cores only.

p.s. i know if left out cost of motherboards etc. for cheaper CPU to run... but still

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  8. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    I've done few tests in past in Cinebench with my X58 X5670 and my results always has been in around 900-1000(highest has been with 1011cb)

I would wait a bit and get one used from eBay,but still price is bit steep

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

Hi there

Did you tried to use other sound card,I'm using on mine PC always Mbox and now I'm waiting on Mbox 3 as I do music and onboard sound card,not sure if I would use for making music,have few issues in past on Hackintosh get this onboard to work and with external solutions from Avid or Apogee they're best sound card for making music

If you do music and video then I would get more core/thread CPU as 4790k is bit poor,have right now i7 4790k and I think its downgrade from X5670 when it comes to rendering and video stuff and in music production too,mainly if you use lots of plugins like Omnisphere or some plugins from NI then CPU usage on 4790k is high or higher

I don't think those CPU will be unlocked,good old days with X58 Xeons,they're been unlocked and can be OC easily

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

Hi there

Cinebench is only part of story there,if you do rendering or you make music then Xeon is only way to go,you can try yourself Corona Benchmark and then you will see if yours CPU is still fast enough

If you don't do this stuff,then switching is bit pointless for you

Getting all this 37 i7-970 plus you will need MB( and find good priced X58 LGA 1366 is bit challenge),RAM and then you will need to house this etc and you need to have some space for that,PSU and all that will be more expensive and add there power what they will use

What will be better choice when you do rendering,depends if SW used supports AVX/Intel Embree or not,as most people who I know use PC for rendering,they have dual CPU LGA2011-3 Xeon

I've bought personally Asus X99 Deluxe and I'm getting Xeon(probably this one E5 2675 V3 or E5-2670 v3) as I do rendering,RAM 64GB will be good starting place and then I will decide on GPU when Pascal or Polaris will be out

Regarding render farms,most of companies switched from X58 to LGA2011 as they're more effective and more efficient at least and more importantly those have more cores/threads and offer above features like AVX

if you are still on X58 then I would highly recommend to upgrade to X5670 or X5675(X5690 will be best,but they cost much more),those CPU runs cooler and mainly they're OC,with right cooling 4.2GHz+ is very easy

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

9. SuperAverage

SuperAverage Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte xtreme 1080

No, that's not what I'm saying. I CURRENTLY have very good DPC latency.
    http://imgur.com/KuRMePP

I won't be using "another sound card" because mine "sound card" is a focusrite scarlett 18i 20, which is my recording interface as well.

As I said, no CURRENT problem, but also nothing with more than 4 cores for my machine.

the z170 will get 6, 8, and more core CPU's, which I want, but typically, their DPC latency times could pose problems for some of the work I do.

The X99, however, has DPC latency pretty consistent with my own machine, and while I was thinking of getting one with the Haswell E processors, the upgrade simply wasn't enough to spend that much money.

I'm hoping that perhaps THESE broadwell CPUs will be.

10. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Sorry for misunderstanding you,I've assumed you are using on-board sound card and due this I've recommend get external solution

Yours sound card is pretty much great there,I've as my portable solution Mbox,but as main gear is RME Babyface which I use mainly,sometimes I'm switching between Mbox and RME

I've still good old TC Electronics Powercore which I bough only due the Virus plugin few months back over on eBay for steal price,which I've used on earlier platform X58,but on Z97 only solution is get PCIE to PCI adaptor and not sure what latency will be there then

Regarding upgrade,I'm going with Xeon E5 V3 or V4 as next,i7 doesn't offer me anything what I like,maybe OC,but that's it and I'm not willing pay £1000 for CPU alone,used Xeon over eBay are priced reasonable and they're worth to get for me

Thanks,Jura