Asynchronous Compute

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Carfax, Feb 25, 2016.

1. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    So? This doesn't really show anything as we don't know what this "on/off" actually do to the rendering process.

AotS is engineered towards AMD h/w in general, with or without asynchronous compute.

2. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    True, but as far as this game is concerned, it seems to be detrimental to performance, so it should be off by all means.

I know, as is Hitman. At least with Hitman AMD didn't get a significant boost to performance from DX12; they can't realistically claim 'async' gives them any advantage at all in it; IO Interactive admitted Async isn't worth the effort to tune it .

Anyway, it's good to see I can make up for the ****ty optimization by just upping clocks. Matching a Fury X even at Crazy preset :banana::)

3. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
  4. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

5. Keesberenburg

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    Cause first dx12 benchmarks give lower fps vs dx11, is there an ini file te tweak Async to off?

6. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    Async is turned off in the ini file for nvidia hardware.

7. Keesberenburg

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    That was AOTS and it's now on and give Nvidia performance lose. I set it to of and get better performance in dx12. I'm going to test Hitman wen i'm home.

8. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    Oh, I don't know about Hitman. Hitman has the better async shader implementation according to amd.

Yeah in AotS async is pretty detrimental to performance, keep it off, there's no use for it unless it's an improvement

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  10. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    I made some memes to cope with the frustration of having the same discussions again and again and again, thought I'd share

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stole this from someone; AMD people when someone brings up async
    [​IMG]

11. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Are those R9 380 dx12 numbers right? I thought AMD cards of that gen benefit from dx12? This shows a completely different story. It's got to be a bug, especially comparing r9 370 medium results with it showing 380 performing worse.

Putting the whole AMD line in perspective; the often touted 10% performance gain with AC seems to only really apply to r9 290/390/390X and Fury X. Even then, the performance gains is only at certain settings, it's not consistent at all.

It also seems that the higher the resolution, the less gains there are. Infact, it gets consistently worse across the board at highest resolutions and we start seeing no gain or worse performance instead.

My thoughts; too much hype. As for dx12 being better than dx11? Err, if it was based on Hitman...only sometimes and totally inconsistent.

12. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    They did? Where can I see these "first benchmarks" of Hitman on nl.hardware.info?

13. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    I get ~10% performance boost with DX12 over DX11 in GPU limited szenario on my Radeon. However, DX12 in Hitman seems quite flawed as it stutters in crowds (both with GTX 980 and R9 390 on my 2500k system).
    So, Hitman profits by Async Compute as well if the hardware supports it, just like Ashes.

You could argue that 10% isn't much, but the DX11 performance in GPU limit of AMD in these games is great too.
    New Frostbite games like NfS, Garden Warfare 2 and Battlefront all run well on AMD, addtitional 10% gain would make Nvidia really look bad.
    Battlefield 4 was still mostly optimized for Nvidia, Battlefield 5 probably will be the exact opposite.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  14. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    That's one hell of an assumption. Why do you think that these 10% are because of async compute? Why don't you think that the stuttering you're seeing is because of async compute instead?

Exactly. 10% is not much and they don't help much. What helps is the generally good DX11 performance of GCN in most of recent titles.
    BF4 was an AMD's GE game btw. And NFS runs just fine on Maxwell.

15. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah, I too thought that topic was done for the moment...

16. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Could be, but then it's done wrong. Could be something completely different though, we don't know. I don't formulate wild speculation which I can't prove and I'd recommend you to do the same.

If you put 10% on a bigger base, it can be quite much for the smaller one.

That doesn't tell how well optimized it is for a certain architecture.
    It seems to take years for the console optimizations to take place for PC. The last Frostbite game where Geforces were really good compared to GCN was Dragon Age in 2014.

17. lantian

lantian Guest

Hitman devs stated async is a minisculer performance gain, best case 5-10%, most of amd performance gains are coming from reduced driver overhead and dx12 pipeline itself, not async
    So can people stop hyping the **** out of one extension that is not part of dx12 base spec which is where most performance benefits are gonna come from

18. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    You are mistaken, Async Compute is part of the DX12 specs.
    It's just not defined that it has to be implemented in hardware. Thus Nvidia needs software emulation to meet the specs.
    However, it's not mandatory that a game developer actually makes use of it, in Ashes you can turn it off. But this currently is only possible via editing the game's config file, the game developer assumes that Async Compute is handled properly by either the hardware or the driver.
    You shouldn't be surprised by this while Nvidia is spreading FUD like "Async Compute needs just to be activated in the drivers" etc. to betray their customers and public.
    With that emulated crap, Ashes runs with decreased performance and stutter on Nvidia. Another great service of this sh*t company...

19. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    BF4's AMD optimizations were probably focused on Mantle rather than DX11

5-10% doesn't live up to the hype but it's certainly still giving AMD cards an advantage compared to their Nvidia equivalents, if Nvidia isn't able to improve that part of DX12

20. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    But you do. This is what you've stated two posts above: "So, Hitman profits by Async Compute as well if the hardware supports it, just like Ashes." This is exactly the type of speculation you're now "recommending" me to avoid.

A bigger base in DX12 won't exist until 2018 probably. And by that time all modern videocards will be somewhat of a rarity and it won't matter if some of them will produce 0,2 fps more than another one which produce 2 fps. That's your future 10% difference from whatever: 2 vs 2,2 fps.

But benchmarks do and BF4 is definitely more optimized for GCN than BF3 ever was.

That bolded part is a lie. NV doesn't need any software emulation to meet the specs of DX12, even for Kepler which doesn't support additional queues at all.

Any D3D12 developer should always start with a no-async-compute path which will actually be the reference path to compare to when implementing async compute path to make sure that it's not actually slowing down the h/w - AMD h/w including. So any D3D12 renderer will ALWAYS have a non-async-compute path. AotS is just an AMD sponsored technology demo, this pretty much explains everything what was happening around it.

The only FUD being spread here is coming from you currently.

NV doesn't need to improve "that part" of DX12, NV simply needs to launch a 10% faster cards in the next lineup refresh. Considering that most of late wins of GCN is happening in DX11 that's basically the only proper way to handle it.