Review: NVIDIA Shield Android TV game console

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Finally available in the Benelux, theÂ*NVIDIA Shield Android TV. The Android TV box based unit is a little gem as it properly takes over your Smart-TV experience, but can also function as a simple gam...

Review: NVIDIA Shield Android TV game console

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    8W, small package, passive cooling. How does that thing feel to touch after prolonged use?
    If it gets hot, may we get IR photo?

Price is quite good. I wonder if there are people using it for other than intended purposes.
    (And I do not mean Doorstop.)

3. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    GeForce Now is probably the more interesting part of it all, it runs surprisingly well and can see it taking off eventually.
    Thanks for the review Hilbert :D
    It's a powerful little device and definitely worth it.

4. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I've had one of these since release and its an amazing little box. I mostly use mine as a media center with Kodi and Netflix but the Nvidia game streaming capability works great too.

5. Lowice

Lowice Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 980ti OC
    I have had one for 4 month now and I'm using it for media center and playing my pc games from my pc in the office to the living-room.

I have it connected to a Marantz SR-7010 and a 3d Projector with 125" screen and I love it.

It can play all my movie formats (.iso - .mkv - .avi etc. etc.) and most .iso formats it can also view the blu-ray menu.

For now Kodi supports DTS-HD - DTS X - Dolby TrueHD - Dolby Atmos and of course all the other lower codec like standart DTS - Dolby digital.

I have no issue with streaming games from my pc in 1080p60fps over LAN.

Only thing I would like to change is that you have to manually go in and switch between 1080p 60Hz - 1080p 50Hz - 1080p 23.976Hz.

So when you want to play you need 1080p 60Hz and for most movies 1080p 23.976Hz.

I still miss the option to see 3D movies but it might come along.

6. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Maybe this will help.
    http://kodi.wiki/view/3D

7. trentbg

trentbg Guest

GPU:
    nVidia
    Since Kodi 16 FPS auto switching is fixed to play 23.976Hz, so you dont need to manually switch anything. Leave it on 60 in the main settings and than in Kodi set it to Auto on.

8. trentbg

trentbg Guest

GPU:
    nVidia
    The Shield console is the best media box you can get today, I have many other Chinese boxes and a few Amazon Fire ones, even small HTPCs like MSI Cubi and HP Stream Mini, all of them have one or another issues playing high bit-rate sound and high quality sound, with the Shield all that is a thing from the past.

9. trentbg

trentbg Guest

GPU:
    nVidia
    The cooling is active, very quiet and efficient one.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    It seems very good for it's price, but I personally wouldn't want one. I'd rather pay extra for a gaming console or PC.

Y'know what I don't get? This device is basically a Jetson TX1 with a nice enclosure, software, and accessories, but it costs a lot less. Sure, you might not be able to tweak it as much as the Jetson board, but if you wanted a small, powerful, and efficient PC, you could just buy one of these Shields and replace the OS on it. I've thrown around the idea of getting a Jetson TX1, but I'd much rather buy this Shield and gut it.

Any chance of seeing the innards of this thing? :)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016

11. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I agree, the new Fire TV comes close in media capability though. I've gone through a ton of these boxes my self and these two are by far the best. I have the Shield in the living room wired to my LAN and the new FireTV in the bedroom over WiFi and both have no problems playing any HD movies I have.

12. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    But the winner for best bang for buck must be the Fire TV. At $87 it's a steal.

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I wondered why one corner is thicker. Yeah, 8W is at edge of passive cooling and poses no challenge for smallest of active. So it may be very quiet.

14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Honestly, I think if Nvidia made the housing out of some sort of metal, this could've been made with passive cooling. Keep in mind too - if 8W is the power consumption of the entire device, that would include the power draw of the fan itself, as well as other components unrelated to the processor. I can't imagine the CPU itself being more than 7W in this case. It's hard to know for sure though - the Tegra X1 is marketed as a 10W chip.

15. armartins

armartins Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 5970
    Since it has KODI, it has a good enough GPU, one can hope MadVR support since kodi is adding support in 6.1?

16. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    That all depends on what you want to use it for. If you are strictly using it for a media streamer then yes I would get the FireTV.

17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    If you want it strictly for a media streamer, there are cheaper options. I guess that depends on what your media expectations are, though. For example, if you watch a lot of 2K+ media and/or use surround sound, that'll lower your chances of finding a good cheap option. But if you're fine with 1080p and stereo, there are plenty of cheaper devices. Though these days, sometimes buying a smart TV is the best choice.

18. prof72

prof72 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
    Looks great but it is unclear if you can stream your own games from your own PC to it or only games from the subscription service.
    Could someone confirm please?

19. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    I've got a smart tv...and the CPU is sheit. Standalone is still better and you can load Kodi.

You can stream your own games from desktop.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  20. cyberfredxxx

cyberfredxxx Member Guru

GPU:
    WF 780 GTX

I confirm : absolutely no problem with autoswitching now ;)
    all frequency work like a charm : 23.976,24,25,29.9,30 or 60 !
    I suggest to use SPMC instead of kodi (SPMC is based on latest version of kodi) , optimised for nvidia shield ;)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.semperpax.spmc16&hl=fr