Nvidia GeForce 364.72 WHQL driver download & discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by masterchan777, Mar 28, 2016.

1. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
  2. Not on Win7.

3. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    As soon as I posted I already knew someone would say this. From the start I said it was laptop related. This section is about drivers, right? Where does it say desktop? Nope, but, you had to make that point which still in no way takes away from my initial statement.

4. It actually does. Do you know how laptop monitors work?

5. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    Feel free to find my comment at overclockers.co.uk .

6. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    quote "Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section In this section you can discuss everything GeForce driver related. GeForce ForceWare and GeForce Exerience drivers are for NVIDIA Quadro and all GeForce based videocards."

Are we going to do a test of knowledge now? Or was my original statement right about Nvidia drivers bricking laptop lcd?

You need to go back in this thread to see who posted about this first...

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  7. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
  8. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    It's common for some bricked hardware to be functional again with a successful re-flash.

The reflash procedure though...meh.

Msi Afterburner potentially could also cause it, but, I already said certain hardware+software combinations.

Quote Prema "If you ever used W10 (or have W10 preparation updates installed in W7/8.1) and/or are using EVGA Precision X in combination with the latest NVIDIA driver, then your system is a potential LCD bricking candidate.

NVIDIA driver will write an updated EDID table to screens eeprom and messes up the checksum while doing so. "

Ofcourse, this is old now, but, it does go to show things can go wrong which is my point all along. Murphy's law at work.

9. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I would say it is wrong to blame the driver for it though when a third party application does it's man in the middle attack. :D
    As for MSI Afterburner, I doubt that it really was involved, Unwinder doesn't mess about.

10. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Well, I've tried to be honest and even provide some details of my own experiences. As a long-time user I accept these problems as par for the course.

Back on topic; This driver for me hasn't crashed at all and I've been enjoying CSGO, BO3, SFV, NFS and Doom beta.

11. billypit

billypit Guest

GPU:
    MSI
    Perhaps someone knows when NV make a modern control panel?

12. VAlbomb

VAlbomb Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia G1 Gaming GTX 970
    The current control panel version is 8.1.810.0 it was updated like two driver versions ago.

13. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    The ****? Did you even read your own link? The guy killed his laptop by flashing an unofficial VBIOS into it after sticking a 970M module in place of his old Radeon one which is already out of any possible warranty. Then there's some guy who just outright states a bunch of crap about how drivers are suddenly to blame for this.

Ok? Videocard driver can't damage the display, it works with whatever the display itself allows in its firmware, if the firmware is bad then it's an issue of the said display, not the driver.

14. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    lol. Just lol. Had you bothered to actually click the links Prema provided, you would see the situation more clearly.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...samsung-and-lg-notebook-lcd-display-panels/1/

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...illing-alienware-and-clevo-lcd-panels.779449/

Ah well. I would also like to stop digging this hole any further, but, people keep pushing me.

15. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    you mean stupidly bloated and overly simplified, with all "advanced" settings hidden, with poor design choices, big text and big buttons? i hope never.

16. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Oh good more links to forum posts from people who don't know what they're talking about. Such proof wow.

Again: videocard drivers can't do anything to displays. Should I repeat again?

Those sneaky ****ing drivers, they have a time bomb in them!

17. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    "NVIDIA driver writes into LCDs eeprom and bricks it"

You were saying?

BTW, you do know Nvidia have acknowledged the problem, right?

18. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yes, I was saying and will still be saying that no matter how many forum posts you'll cite it won't be true.

Driver doesn't write anything to a BIOS of a display. It doesn't write anything to any BIOS as it doesn't have the necessary files for this.

But even if we assume that this somehow happens it should brick the displays on a driver install, not after some 24 hours of them working fine. That's just basic logic.

Let's see this acknowledgement. Why do I have a feeling that it'll be another forum post from some random dude on the internet?

19. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    the issue only affects nvidia, not AMD, because evga precision is nvidia only and only on nvidia can pixel clock overclocking be achieved. that's why you can't blame nvidia for that.
    Not to mention these people are using evga precision on non EVGA products. that means they effectively by default clear nvidia, dell, and EVGA from any responsibility.

So yeah, there is no official acknowledgement for the issue by any of those companies because they are legally cleared of responsibility.

Crappy situation for the people affected, but that's the reality of it.

20. narukun

narukun Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 1561/7700
    How do you explain AMD cards are not affected? its hard to make change people mind here i see.