Seriously Considering a UW-4K Screen. Opinions?

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by PinchedNerve, Mar 25, 2016.

1. PinchedNerve

PinchedNerve Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte AORUS 1080 Ti XE
    Hello all.

Like the title says, I'm seriously considering a UW-4K screen. My short list is an Acer Predator 34-inch, and an LG Electronics 34UC98 34-Inch.

I wouldn't rule out a "TV", but I'm not real familiar with my options there, and I really doubt I would want anything over 40", since this would for the time being, be sitting on my desk.

As a heads up, I've "had" 2 Gsync displays in the past. Key word here is "Had". They were both TN panels and they are both gone. For me, IQ, and Colors, trumps high frames, since I don't really play fast paced shooters anymore. So, the Acer on my short list would probably lose if the LG had superior IQ and color, plus I like the split screen tech of the LG.

Any opinions on potential Screens, or even more info/opinions on the 2 I have listed?

Edit: Late entry, Samsung UN48JS9000. 48" though.

Edit Again: 68 views and no replies. :( I caved and bought the Samsung UN48JS9000, for $1,150.00. Out the Door.

For a little perspective on competing U.S. site prices, at time of posting.

Amazon = $1,814.44

Best Buy = $1,868.99

NewEgg = $1,702.49 Refurbed, and $2,297.99 New.

Adorama = $2,297.99

B&H Video = $1,200.00

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  2. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    uh, there are NO 4k UW moniters, yet. or at least if there are, noone could afford them. the curved gimmick, ill pass. As for a TV for gaming, I dunno, Ive never considered it, I would think the refresh rate wouldnt be high enough or the response time, or ghosting perhaps? bleeding colors?
    Also, smart tv's have mic's on them, wifi and ZERO security. so technically, they are completely unprotectable, so if you do anything on it, who's to say who is watching? I dunno, I'd always stick to a moniter if I was going to do it, 34" would be ideal for me, as UW media is going to cost $30/movie apparently for Sony movies, so Ill give it 6mos at least to watch and see what happens with it.

3. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    iam so annoyed with hmy curved monitor. resolution is 3440*1440. even new games r not fully compatible with this resolution and THE CURVE display is a gimmick. gives no advantage. actually annoys me.

Maybe others have different experience.

4. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    I'm actually really enjoying my curved display, plus the 3440x1440 res is still looking good for the size of screen whilst being much easier to run than my previous 4k screen. Also if you're having issues running some games in the 21:9 aspect ratio try windowed full/borderless which can force games (Diablo 3 for instance).

5. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    i ordered 2560*1440 screen of 27" BENQ something. more compatible. i guess. with games i mean.

Besides i agree screen is epic. and playing compatible RPG and RTS games is amazing. still, 34" gaming is too big to my eyes man :(

6. sounar

sounar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080
    Here are my two cents. Ive had the X34 ultrawide ACER, and returned it. At the end of the day, I found for the money you are paying it is simply not worth it for me. G-sync I found was one of the most gimmicky new tech I encountered recently, the premium you pay extra for is staggering. Not all games actually fully support it and some games runs worse as a result from it. CS GO bieng one of them, having random frame drops to 40fps with it enabled. And even when it is running properly, it honestly doesnt feel that much different. Ultrawide format is not bad, good in some games, not suitable for others. 16:9 in general is far more comfortable on your eye strain as well. X34 colors are pretty good, but in comparison to my 27" Korean montior, the color surprisingly are not as deep and rich i found. The reason bieng for that I believe, the X34 screen is matte finished, while my 27" korean screen is glossy finish. So i decided to stay with my current montior. Live and Learn!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I've seen these up close and not impressed. They look smaller than their size/res would suggest. On screen images/objects are no bigger than on 2560x1440.. just extra periphery on sides. As a big believer in size = visual impact, immersion, would prefer a 32" 1440p (or 4k) 16:9.

8. PinchedNerve

PinchedNerve Guest

GPU:
    Mounted my UN48JS9000 to the wall and I couldn't be happier ATM. I've not run into any game, other then Quake Live that had an issue with 3840x2160.

Over at [H], there is a lot of people using this same TV as a monitor.

9. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    I absolutely love the curve on my LG34UC97. I went from tripple screen to this curved screen, i lost quite a bit of peripheral vision but its so much less messy. Even being a 34" i pull it forward during gaming so its only about 6" away and the curve basically covers most of your peripheral vision. I cant see it being great flat as its too wide. Would take a lot for me currently to move from curved 34" ultrawide, same aspect ratio in a 36 or 38" screen would be perfect.

10. Vipu2

Vipu2 Guest

GPU:
    1070ti
    Response Time
    : 11.1 ms

Input Lag
    : 23.6 ms

Thats total of almost 35ms! Best pc screens have total ms of about 5ms. Almost 7 times slower/blurrier.

11. PinchedNerve

PinchedNerve Guest

GPU:
    I don't believe you're supposed to calculate them together. Response time being grey to grey (usually motion blur), input lag being black to white. I believe its an either, or, situation, thus Input Lag being worst case scenario.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  12. Vipu2

Vipu2 Guest

GPU:
    1070ti
  13. PinchedNerve

PinchedNerve Guest

GPU:
    For me, this TV gives me no "noticeable lag", and I leave it in Game Mode 100%. Current firmware is (for me) 1440, the Rtings review used 1217. As I mentioned before, there are a lot of people over at [H] using this same TV. After reading multiple threads, and reviews, I bought it. It fills my color, size, and resolution requirements. I'm absolutely satisfied with it. I had my former Dell U2715H next to it this past weekend because I was testing it for dead pixels and backlight bleed (for sale), and I would not consider going back to a smaller, duller (in comparison) display, just for (un-perceivable to me) lower, input lag number.

Here are some of the forum posts @ [H], if you care to view them.

4 Weeks With Nvidia Titan X SLI at 4k Resolution @ [H]. Review used the UN48JS9000 Here is a link to the Discussion (3 pages).

2015 Samsung 4k TV as a Monitor Set Up Guide. Uses the UN48JS9000 (5 pages).

New Samsung 4k for Everyone. Covers many of the Samsung models (170 pages).

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  14. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    The reason an ultra wide screen looks smaller than the measured size makes you think is because it actually is smaller compared to standard ratio screens. A screen is measured diagonally meaning the wider it is relative to its height the less surface area it'll have. That's why an old 4:3 27" CRT TV (as in it's actually 27" and doesn't include the bezel in the measurement as CRT monitors did) looks enormous compared to a 27" 16:9. It's not just the bulk of the CRT, the surface area is greater.

Edit: A visual comparison - http://www.comparetvsizes.com/

16:9 at the same diagonal length as 21:9 has 18% more surface area. 4:3 has 32.6% more surface area.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  15. Ouzo

Ouzo Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Gaming X
    I just got my X34 and it is awesome beast. Immersion is quite a thing now :D

Who ever said G-sync is gimmick... well, I strongly disagree. There is HUGE difference in making the game smooth while not skipping frames nor tearing. What else do you want?

It is annoying that 21:9 is still mostly not-completely supported in games. Like witcher cut scenes, Battlefield menus etc. Probably will get better in future.

And I finally get why Windows has a split screen natively supported for windows. It's awesome feature to have while not gaming.

About curvature. It takes time to get used to, but in games, I actually like it a lot.

16. JulieCMattern

JulieCMattern Guest

GPU:
    Thank you so much.