PC Version Killer Instict will be Windows 10 Only

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    How am I supposed to even buy this game? There's virtually no matches or advertising for the PC version of this game through Google and Microsoft's own website's "Games for Windows" section just links back to their XBox section. There's absolutely no mention of it in the Windows/Xbox store. So they're going to wait until the day of to even make any info available in their store?

It's supposed to be released in a few hours yet I can't find any information about the PC versions available to buy on any official MS website. I know through gaming websites it's supposed to be $50 USD for basically the complete game (all content), but I sure as hell can't find a list of versions that will be sold from any MS site.

It's infuriating not being able to find a single thing from any official source for a game that's about to be released that I've been waiting forever for. Even making an XBox account through PC was infuriating, it didn't give an option to select a tag and automatically assigned me a name, and you only get 1 free name change.

Something tells me I'm going to be super pissed off dealing with this Microsoft Store only BS.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  2. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    Couldn't agree more, I feel like these people need to be put in concentration camps or something...

3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I installed Windows 10 again yesterday... then half an hour later after becoming frustrated at some design choices again installed Windows 8.1... again.. I've done this now 4 times since Windows 10 was released each time thinking hey it's ok I will like it this time.................... sigh..

4. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Look, if a new non-MS os came out that ran all your new and old software with even 5% performance increase, people would jump on that bandwagon within months. I would install that os right now.

Realistically, it's only because performance doesn't seem on par or better than windows with other os like Linux that people don't change over.

Perhaps one day the "missing performance" will be resolved and windows grip on the industry will be gone. Until then MOST users will eventually move onto windows 10.

For me, it's a matter of when there's enough compelling software to make the switch which right now there isn't.

When you release a game that clearly doesn't use dx12 and lock it into windows 10 to make it a selling point, well, that's just dodgy.

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I saw kinguin sells xbox one keys, but not for PC? Why is micro**** so dumb with their modern app store. Fools..

6. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I thought KI was going to be free on pc ? Did I see that wrong?

7. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    It's not really free in any form. The "free" version gives you just a few characters you can use which rotate per week/per whatever. If you actually are serious about playing the game you have to buy it. $50/$60 buys you most of the game, it says all except the "Bonus" characters whatever that means. It gives 18000 KI Gold which I assume can be used to buy those bonus characters when they're released. The PC version is $10 less because you get no physical packaging, but they'll pretend it's because it doesn't have K1 & 2 with it.

The exchange rates are still ****, so at $50 it's $66, and with the bank doing a bit of robbery the conversion becomes $70. I have to pay $70 and get raped by the MS store DRM which will probably disconnect me even if I'm in a single player mode if I lose some packets.

$70 while there's less money being made than when the dollars were equal, gotta love how economies work. You'd think there'd be some anti inflation laws taking affect but no.

It's the 29th, not a damn sign of it anywhere on anything MS related. Top notch quality. The quality I've come to expect from MS. The MS store honestly looks like an unqualified intern made it in an hour.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  8. evilkiller650

evilkiller650 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    Microsoft can go.... away.
    I have no intention of "upgrading" to W10 anytime soon.
    They are trying to forcing people to use W10 and I really don't see the reason why. They are also forcing people to use the Windows store to play the MS games, and from what I've heard, it's a terrible feature with horrible and limiting features.
    I was on my computer as usual and it suddenly shutdowns down, then I get the "Installing Windows 10..." text.
    Turned my computer off at the wall and luckily everything was fine. After going through numerous Windows 10 update questions such as "When do you want to install W10?", etc it finally gave me a choice of completely disabling the update.
    W10 is also cheaper to buy than 7/8.1.

Why are they trying to force and entice people into using W10? Must be a reason behind it all and probably not a positive one.
    I have absolutely no intention of purchasing any MS affiliated game and I will not use DX12 until it becomes absolutely necessary.
    I also do not have the patience to learn W10 and hope everything works perfectly as it does on W7.

9. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    Does thou insist to fill the world with vicious qualities?

Apart from a little circle next to the start button, there is absolutely no difference between Windows 10 or 7. Please though for the sake of being incoherent, burden thyself with the security loops holes that are 7 & 8.

- TeKK

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Wow

Just wow

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    You can't upgrade to a lower version, it's called downgrading.

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I also upgraded back to 8.1 lol

It's an upgrade when it's better, no matter the version number IMO

13. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I went from Windows 7 to 10 without having tried out 8 or 8.1. And it's working just fine for me, games feel smoother and the rest just works the same really, just another UI wrapped around it.

Took a little while to get used to it, but i wouldn't want to roll back.

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Between 7 and 10, I'd choose 10, 7 is ancient now, but 8.1 is the sweet spot for me, not a fan of them porting half the OS to tablet UI

15. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Upgraded? Windows 8/8.1 were fugly disfunctional OS's. 7 and 10 are far better.

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Okay guys, this is not a Windows 10 upgrade/downgrade thread. Do not make it into one.

17. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    is it out? cant find it at the store

18. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    It's finally in the store now but there is no purchase option. I'm going to assume either they're so sloppy that they haven't released that yet or it's an in-game option. Again only the "Supreme Edition" gives you most the content, so when it's done installing I'll see if purchasing that in-game is an option.

It's 21.7GB and installs to the "WindowsApps" folder in the C: by default. It completely denies you access to it and won't even let you read how much stuff you have stored. It's likely a part of Microsoft's DRM system to prevent plebs from copying or modifying any files in there. I installed a program/script for such occasions of douchebaggery that Win 10 has. I right click and click take ownership, done.

Edit: Yes you can buy any edition of the game including the Supreme Edition through their "bundles" option in-game. And it appears to be using DX 12 as the API since my OSD (MSI Afterburner) won't work.

For anyone who thought they could try it for free, not really, it only has one character enabled for the "character rotation" LOL!

Of important note, now that I took ownership of the WindowsApps folder, I can see that Killer Instinct installed takes 29.5GB.

Edit 2: My credit card shows they charged me $56.50 (13% tax on $50) in Canadian funds and not American funds which after conversion would have been $74 plus at least a $3 cut that banks take. Good on Microsoft, it seems someone there understands that when a currency crashes that doesn't magically mean people have more money to make up the difference.

And as I said before, so long as Microsoft patch the game and don't abandon support I don't mind this payment model. It's better than the BS other companies do, which is essentially no patches until it's a "new" game each year for $40-$50. Or in the case of Namco, just outright nothing and a middle finger.

19. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    i hate this stupid store, gonna skip it and quantom break.

20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I don't blame you, it's really annoying. I'm not even sure how I can get a working shortcut of KI on my dock. Personally I couldn't skip it, I've been waiting for the PC release of KI since it was announced for the Xbone. :wanker: I might have even bought an Xbone just to play KI if its hardware wasn't so ridiculously inferior to even a potato like the PS4... and now I remember it even requires Xbox Gold to do anything online. Ugh.

That and I don't think it'll ever come to Steam since it allows crossplay with Xbone players, meaning it needs to run using an Xbox account. Honestly if there'll ever be a legitimate reason to lock a game to the Microsoft Store, this is it. Crossplay in a fighting game is huge since there are very few PC players in fighting game communities.