16.3.1 driver with 15.12 radeon settings and msi afterburner with Crossfire

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by miazize, Mar 18, 2016.

1. miazize

miazize Guest

GPU:
    3xr9 280
    16.4.2 driver with msi afterburner and with Crossfire

Hi guys!

Here is a workaround to have proper msi afterburner. :)

1. uninstall with DDU /thank you to the developers!/

2. install 16.4.2 driver

3. restart

4. regedit [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000]

thanks to OnnA! very nice work there!

5. now I have 0000, 0001, 0002 probably because I have trifire. well lucky me. :)) back to the subject. click on the 0000 first look for EnableUlps and EnableUlps_NA and disable them. meaning set to 0. do this for all the 000* folder.

6. restart

7. finally start msi afterburner menu and ulps will be disabled and can add crossfire profiles. enjoy. :))

Now it worked for me using these steps but of course I do not hold any responsible if it won`t work for anybody else. :)

Another thing. I am prefer using the 15.12 driver's radeon settings. as I am using VSR and 150% size of apps, text, etc. the settings does not allow to add crossfire profile to games. because of the 150% zoom. now this can be sorted using the 15.12 driver's radeon settings.

steps:

1. same

2. 16.4.2 driver but do not install the radeon settings

3 restart

4. install only the 15.12 radeon settings

5. from here follow steps from step 4

this worked for me. so there is no pain using small text on the desktop and having fully functional radeon settings and crossfire with msi afterburner.

Enjoy!

any more findings? just share it! :)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  2. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Great Work Bratan'
    Those with CF will be Hapier (like a = :banana: )

3. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I don't believe "EnableCrossfireForNonProfileApps" is obeyed with the Crimson drivers, even with the CCC toggle. Not from tests I've seen.

4. miazize

miazize Guest

GPU:
    3xr9 280
    I am happier now. I am just glad to help. :)

5. miazize

miazize Guest

GPU:
    3xr9 280
    yeah. it can be right. I just looked into the registry and the option is disabled but still working fine, so yes I guess you are right. but still good to use the 15.12 radeon settings to enable the cf profiles. :)

6. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Since 16.1 CFX is forced for all apps (with or without profile) when CFX is globally on.

The main problems is we lost the option to disable that behavior on specific game profiles.

I would like to disable CFX in some games to play them without flickering...

7. miazize

miazize Guest

GPU:
    3xr9 280
    now then using 15.12 radeon settings should sort this problem out. I guess. :)

8. TonyTurbo

TonyTurbo Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 @ 1750/1180
    can AMD get anything ******* right these. Honestly im so mad with them, last cards i'll ever own from them, Nvidia all the way from here on. Sick and tired of their lies, MGPU this MGPU, then every new game that gets released has crossfire flicker and doesn't even get resolved. Now I cant even disabled crossfire for each game profile that crossfire doesn't work in. Jesus give me strength. :bang::bang::bang:

9. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Hummm, i tried with "new" 16.3 CCC installed and used "portable" (non-installed) old 15.12 CCC.

This frankenbuild worth a try. :)

If AMD GPUs (and Nvidia) future is multi-GPU gaming they should be adding support for it...YESTERDAY.

10. TonyTurbo

TonyTurbo Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 @ 1750/1180
    how do you only install the radeon settings from the 15.12 package after installing the graphic driver only from the 16.3?? When I run the 15.12 installer, the check box is ticked for the display driver and its not selectable.

11. miazize

miazize Guest

GPU:
    3xr9 280
    well yes, but the crossfire issues in my experience can blamed on the developers too. the flickering comes from that there is no proper profile but a lot of issues comes from game developers. I mean batman arkham knight did not have multi gpu support at all. so there is no diff between amd and NVidia if the game sucks. but I mostly play games which supports cf. plus mantle worked fine in cf for civ beyond earth and bf games working fine. only issue I had that the witcher did not support trifire only cf. so again game developer fault. I guess.

12. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    While installing Crimson drivers choose "custom" instead of "express", it will give you the option to select what to install.

It's also a good moment to untick bundled raptr....

13. TonyTurbo

TonyTurbo Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 @ 1750/1180
    it doesn't give me that option when i run the 15.12 Crimson after installing the driver from the 16.3.1..when you click the installer, Crimson launches but then gives 2 options before you can get to the custom, says Update or Uninstall. When you click update the driver box is ticked and there is no custom option.

Also, just did exactly what this guide says, was able to disable ulps via regedit and also have the crossfire option available in CCC like the old versions, but The Division is still using crossfire ingame when the profile is set to disable.

Does not work for me

14. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    In 16.3.1 don't install "AMD settings" in the installer custom mode.

In 15.12 click on update then in "custom" install "AMD settings".

I don't see the advantage after all because i was looking a way do disable CFX per profile.

I just tried to disable "Dark Messiah of Might & Magic Single Player" CFX but it's still enabled in game despite what i choose in his Crimson pre-defined game profile.

[​IMG]

It's the same in other games: CFX settings are F*$% and as a "bonus" drivers re-enable ULPS by itself if i try to use different settings than predefined.

:bang:

15. miazize

miazize Guest

GPU:
    3xr9 280
    so why don`t you just disable cf from radeon settings not from the profile? I mean it is pain in the ass but could work I guess. also tried afr compatible mode but restarting msi afterburner solved the problem.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016

16. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Do you mean globally?

Been forced to disable CFX globally defeat the purpose of game profiles.

The game profiles should allow the user to choose specific game settiings including CFX options like "disabled" or "AFR".

They worked untill 16.1...

Sometimes i would like to play a game like COD:BO3 with CFX disabled to avoid the flickering.

17. miazize

miazize Guest

GPU:
    3xr9 280
    aha. it has been a while I haven`t played without cf. but yes they need to polish the whole thing. although I am glad that I was "forced" to look into the driver deeper than just install and run. :)

18. TonyTurbo

TonyTurbo Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 @ 1750/1180
    I didnt, only box I ticked on the 16.3.1 custom section was the driver, all other boxes were empty.

Then when I launched the 15.12 driver, the first box that came up was updatee or uninstall, clicked update then took me to where I can choose what I want installed, but the driver was ticked as default and no option to untick it.

19. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    We have a communication problem at some point. :nerd:

Is not the driver "AMD display driver" that install old CCC but "AMD settings":

[​IMG]

Uninstall Crimson then DDU on safe mode, reboot install 16.3.1 custom mode> untick "AMD settings" (and "gaming evolved crapware if you like) then reboot and launch 15.12 installer "update" tick on "AMD settings".

The other components (display driver, audio driver, ect....) will not be updated because previously installed 16.3.1 are newer.

Only "AMD settings" (15.12 old CCC) will be installed.

I have all drivers installer unzipped on separate folder so i only need to launch setu.exe located inside drivers folder, it's easier, faster and more clean in regard to C: folder. :)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  20. dottorfoggy

dottorfoggy Guest

GPU:
    980Ti
    can you make a screen from regedit, just to be sure to modify the right lines