Sony to release updated, more powerful PS4.

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by XP-200, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    If Sony did bring out some kind of upgraded PS4. The only way I can think with a 20+ million user base would be to offer some kind of discount. Nothing like this has ever been done before that I can think of, so it probably will never happen. But you never know.

2. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    We kind of see it every year in the phone market :D and people simply upgrade.

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Phones are more of a fashion accessory though, consoles are not.

No one really pays up front for a new phone either, people are pretty much in ongoing credit agreements to pay them off.

If they went that route with consoles then people would be spending more on hardware than software and that is not how Sony and MS make their money.

4. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I still think this is purely just a rumour and nothing else. There is no way it will work. But then the more I think about it the more it makes sense....

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    pretty sure if consoles go this root of upgrades mid cycles I stop buying consoles all together, I dont buy consoles to play the upgrade game, I buy them to play the games KNOWING it was made for the consoles and will run the same across the board.

Moment they want me to upgrade my console is moment I become pc only

6. Sprecker

Sprecker Guest

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    They did this with the PS3 so I don't know what everyone is up in arms about. Companies release new better versions of hardware mid term all the time. People buy them no one has ever died.
    Why anyone thinks programmers/developers are going to abandon the majority of player base for people that want to play VR games is beyond me and is really an odd way of thinking. IMHO of course.

7. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    The PS3 was released with a better CPU/GPU during it's lifetime?

8. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Probably means the Slim version. Speaking of that. This was how the rumours started in the first place.

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    No the did not they made slim versions not more POWERFUL versions

10. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I think the only things that changed in the slim and the ultra slim version were a more efficient cooling system which also made it quieter, and less power consumption, but game playing wise everything was the same.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    only better cooling quieter fans, small psu watts and less chips, it was not made to be more powerfull

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    It the internet everything said threw it should get scrutinized, after all 1's and 0's can be manipulated :puke2:

Then again I one those people that think "god" is really "alien overlords" with tech far beyond ours

13. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I hope that this does not happen because this can lead to users who bought a PS4 at launch and after and pre PS4.5 at a disadvantage because games will be optimized for the upgraded console and they might not be able to play it and some gamers might not have the funds to upgrade their PS4s. Finally this idea might annoy some game developers because the will have to produce 2 versions of the game for Sony.

14. evilkiller650

evilkiller650 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    Unfortunately, in this current world, we need to pay money for the newer and "better" products/technology.
    If people want better graphics and performance, then they will be happy to pay for new products. If they don't, tough luck and they will simply have to do with what they have.

In terms of developers, I very much doubt it will trouble them.
    They will simple design games based on the PS4.5 and then downgrade it for the PS4.

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The thing is, there isn't a big enough market for better graphics and performance.

The people Sony would be telling tough to are the majority.
    The other risk would be alot of devs not supporting the newer console so those who paid more get nothing extra, or if they do it's an unoptimised unlocked framerate.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    not the point people dont buy consoles to play the upgrade game if they want to do that, they would get pc. Every console Addon to this date ment to give consoles more raw power failed this reason alone.

"They will simple design games based on the PS4.5 and then downgrade it for the PS4." IF they did this they will alienate people,that and developers develop for consoles more cause it 1 hw spec for EVERYONE. they dont want to be bother with make sure it works for proper on multiple specs.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  17. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
  18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I'm still the cynic and going with their option 3 of it just being a PS4 slim with support for some 4k media formats.

From a technical point of view i would like to see what happens when an upgraded console lands, but i'm not a console or Sony fan.

Surely an upgraded PS4 would give MS another crack at this gen, especially when they still have deeper pockets than Sony.

19. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    4K media support is the more likely option. It wouldn't be too difficult to add a better GPU at the same time and release it in 2017. That way it doesn't confuse the consumer.

20. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    hmm from what i hear now it will just be a ps4 with the vr box that is seperate included. so same gpu and cpu.