4k curved 65" - enough horsepower?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Teisco, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Teisco

Teisco Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Auros 1080Ti
    Thinking of getting a Samsung 65" 4k curved tv but after reading Cnets ariticle I am a bit concerned about actually using it with my pc.

Has anyone here gone 4k and what is your experience with frame rates compared to 1080p ?

I am running three 980's but not sure that is enough and I really hate to start lowering graphics for my flightsims to make the 4k happy.

2. Teisco

Teisco Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Auros 1080Ti
    No one?

3. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I was looking at this and the LG OLED Curved UHD TV as well. I believe your setup is good enough but it really depends on driver support.

I suggest you test 1080p with Vsync OFF and AA off (AT 4K you barely need it). Basically you want to render at about 4x 1080p @ 60 FPS so thats 1080p @ 240 FPS to get about 4k @ 60 FPS. Whatever your average FPS is with no AA, divide by 4 to get an average assuming you also have the correct connectors.

Can't wait to see how this turns out for you.

4. Teisco

Teisco Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Auros 1080Ti
    Well that sound serious - wonder if you can still get decent 1080p out of the 4k tv if the fps are bad at 4k?

5. Teisco

Teisco Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Auros 1080Ti
    Tried DSR at the highest setting and these two games seemed to handle it well.

F4 - For some reason (think there is a shadow mod locking fps at 60) Fallout 4 would not go over 60 with AA off but I got an almost solid 60 fps.

GTA 5 - got 125 during the fps benchmark test it runs.

Now my flightsims took a big hit so I would have to run them at a lower rez but not sure how 4k looks watered down to 1440 or 1080.

Had to set cards to max 70c in Afterburner because the high rez pushed them over 80c.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  6. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    You could try these resolutions too. I think DSR will do those on 1080p depending on the scaling mode.

2560x1440 or 2880x1620

Most 4K TVs have pretty good hardware scalers, so should do upsampling pretty well.

7. xx4L0Mxx

xx4L0Mxx Member

GPU:
    2 x MSI 970GTX 4G
    You will not have many problems at 4k.

I have the rig shown on my sig, hooked up to a Sony Bravia 55" 4K Android tv.

PC outputs to TV at 2160p@60hz RGB 4:4:4

2x970 SLI gives me 45-60fps 2160p@60hz in Fallout 4.

60fps 2160p@60hz GTAV

60fps Arma 2 / Arma 3

Project Cars 2160p@60hz - 45 on Start grid with 40+ cars, soon levels out after 30 secs to solid 60 fps for rest of race.

The Division runs ok ish in 4k, but frame pacing seems a bit off to me so I have been running it maxed out 1080p.

Star Wars Battlefront - all settings Ultra except Shadows on High - 60fps, never waivers.

8. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    Running (testing) at 4K via DSR is the same (identical at performance) what you will get running at native 4K, make your several gaming tests and you will have your results.

Be careful about lag though. (don't know specs of that TV)

9. wsgroves

wsgroves Guest

Not sure what you guys are doing to get 60fps in most of your games at 4k. My 980 sli setup was not able to do it and my 980ti strix setup struggles with even the newest games. Just look at the division, and I noticed it with far cry primal as well, I do not believe the 980 will hold up well going into the future with 4k due to memory. Even Hilbert said at 4k the 980's are starting to have some trouble.
    The nice thing about the tv though, should be able to turn down the rez if you have to based on the good scaling.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2016
  10. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    That is simply awesome to hear for GTA and ARMA. So I know what my target GPU performance should be. Waiting for that single card GPU to rule them all. :D

@wsgroves - Did you try turning off AA and use FXAA or SMAA to increase raw FPS and free up GPU memory? That usually would do it. Or it may be drivers since your cards should be pushing 4K without a sweat.

11. xx4L0Mxx

xx4L0Mxx Member

GPU:
    2 x MSI 970GTX 4G
    With AA on in ARMA3@4k, I Hover around 40fps, but as Valken stated above, turning it off gives me 60fps easy. The difference with AA on or off at 4k is negligible in my opinion.

In Fallout 4 I have Godrays on medium and shadow detail? on Medium......everything else on "High" or "Ultra", again, the difference between these settings and "Ultra" settings is minimum if anything at 4k. If you can genuinely see much of a difference in Image quality, then you are a better person than me. I get mainly 60fps throughout with occasional dips to 47-48 fps. That's with 100 texture mods and 100 .esp mods running. VRAM usage according to MSI Afterburner is about 2.5-2.8GB.

That's the Joy of PC gaming surely, optimising your games to suit your needs or situation.

The only real no goes at the moment I have tried at 4k are early access games like ARK or 7 days to die which are completely unoptimised, or some RTS games, not because of the framerate, but because the UI is tiny at 4k resolution and Impossible to read if you are gaming on a 4k TV sat on your sofa.

12. CrazyGenio

CrazyGenio Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090
    turn off AA use fxaa or smaa if needed if not then forget it, most of teh cases are not needed, put sahdows on medium or low, shadows grow stronger if teh resolution is higer in most of the cases

13. Teisco

Teisco Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Auros 1080Ti
    Ok bit the bullet and bought the 65 inch Samsung 4k curved monster.

GTA5 - mostly maxed out from 70 to 150 fps at 4k
    F4 - mostly maxed out from 65 to 125 fps
    Flightsims - took a hit with 10 fps less on average

Curved or not? The curve is cool but being in graphic design it does warp the picture so straight lines are not to the eye as they follow the curve (looking dead center lines follow curve and seem to curve up at top edges and curve down at bottom edges).

For gaming the curve seems to envelope you more if you sit close (at 4k I can pull my chair up closer to the screen while gaming to actually sense the curve). Curve for movies is amazing and, of course, Samsung being the brightess and most colorful panel made really adds that bit of zing to the picture.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  14. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Congrats! I have the same conclusion after test driving Curved TVs vs Flat. For gaming and movies, curve totally rocks.

For "work" or watching movies with others, flat is better due to distortion if not full front and centered.

15. TrousersnakeXL

TrousersnakeXL Guest

GPU:
    980ti sli water
    Since the 1070 and 1080 GT exes are in production with the June release I would grab 2 1070 for around $800 and look at beautiful 60 FPS Max settings at 4K

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    They have to, since TV broadcast content is still full HD. Who will buy a 4k TV if it looks like crap on over 99% of the broadcast content they watch.