Nvidia is deliberately downgrading kepler gpu's performance in favor of Maxwell.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Angrycrab, May 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    So true.... so true :(

2. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 4090gamingOC
    And thats how nvidia makes money, they make new cards and people buy them. If the older cards are as fast as the new ones then no one will buy it.

Downgrading the performance is the only option. Folks on the 900 series with 970,980's and 980 ti's will soon learn when pascal comes out... You better be saving that lunch money because when pascal comes out, maxwell is dead just like they did with Kepler.

So Prepare that dusty box in the corner of your house for the maxwell boys.. pascal is almost here and they'll be alot of people buying it (more than likely the guys who bought the 970 lol)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  3. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    You sound salty.

4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    If Pascal cards are faster than why would they need to downgrade performance on Maxwell?

Unless your suggesting that every Nvidia card ever has had the same hardware performance, but the old ones get gimped via drivers when the new hardware is out.

It's clearly stupid to believe such a thing, it's also embarrassing.

I fully expect my cards to perform the same as they do now, but will clearly be limited by vram and every other weakness that comes with older hardware running newer software.

5. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    We shouldn't feed the trolls guys. This whole thread is a 'salty' (formerly known as 'butt hurt') thread of disillusioned people thinking their expensive GPUs will be top notch for three years.
    Surprise, they're not going to, it's never been like this.

6. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 4090gamingOC
    It is what it is. cant deny that

7. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 4090gamingOC
    nobody is salty dude.. i got a asus 980 ti strix clocked at 1455mhz and modded my own bios with help from mrdark (used his tdp table) for the fan speed, core clock and all the wonderful stuff. no need for the software...

it is what it is.. nvidia is eventually gonna screw over and yall need to buy a new gpu again.. seen it since the gtx 260. They call it business btw, and it makes them alot of money too.

time to pony up soon boys:puke2:

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    When you played every part for each class of character - i.e. six times each part - you sure can tell when picture in game did change. I was playing seventh time trying importing save file not from previous game but from the same game when 970 came. Of course I reinstalled drivers (the same version), and may be something was wrong with previous installation (with 780).

Edit: I don`t believe in OEM conspiracy. I just find it strange, and this thread is appropriate place to post.

Edit2: As for developer`s motivation and laziness, we recently discovered in one of our projects that developer inserted loop with delay and since then decreased that delay once per week and reported this as optimization. Unfortunately he was already gone from company and we could not "speak" with him. So anything is possible with us, humans...

9. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    Come on... Why don't you show pictures of this hypothetical IQ Illuminati Conspiracy?

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    For that I should retrieve 780 from friend, install it back into my rig, and possibly reinstall drivers. Do you seriously think I will bother?
    If I knew back then that such change can even be I would take screenshots.

Pay attention, I wrote that I don`t believe in such conspiracy. I am developer myself, and I work since 1992 - we never gimped old version of product to sell new version. New features, new design of UI - are usual motivators for a new version.

11. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    SHOCKING NEWS! New products are better than old products otherwise no one will buy them! This is definitely a conspiracy right there.

Making a better product isn't the option here. I mean, we can all safely agree that Voodoo Graphics can perform like 980Ti but NV has bought out 3dfx assets to downgrade its performance. Obviously.

Yeah, I'll be one of those people. And since Pascal is a process node change it will eventually destroy pretty much any card from NV or AMD launched on 28nm. You'll say that it's because of somebody downgrading something probably.

Your system is unstable on the frequencies you're running if a new driver is leading to crashes.
    I've already explained why a tessellation cheating slider don't make any sense for NV h/w. Your 670 is on 390X levels of tessellation performance as it is.

The IQ in all Mass Effect games are exactly the same between Tesla, Fermi, Kepler and Maxwell.

12. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well if you suffer so much you can make me an offer for your 980Ti, might be interested for the right price, once you do whatever you do :)

Will you switch over to AMD?

13. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    I think there was just some setting missing when you played those games at different times, maybe you forgot to force the filters or you did not enable the improved dynamic lighting during dialogues, or you did not tweak the INI file in order to gain some more IQ. I also played the second ME with different GPUs and, apart from the framerate, there was absolutely no difference!

14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I did tweak ini-files and change settings of video only when I installed the games. Games profiles for ME series I did not touch because I had zero issues with them.

Modern software and hardware are complex enough to demonstrate different behavior even in completely identical configurations/rigs.
    ME1 is very old game and I am sure that if bug is in engine it should occur on both 780 and 970.

15. Tuga

Tuga Guest

GPU:
    nvidia 670 gtx
    The thing is though, lots of people have been having problems with the The Division crashing. Some guildie of my put his older card (970 or 980 -> 770 or something) to play the game more stable. I tried the game with 2 newest drivers and it was crashing with those, whilst with a driver that is substantially older it seems not crash at all.

16. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    I'd say half the thread is salty, the other half is sexually aroused at the thought of NV doing badly and Maxwell owners having regrets.

I had a GTX 570 from June 2011 until October 2015. Call me crazy, but when I couldn't run a game at 1080p ultra, I lowered the settings until it ran at acceptable framerates.

Now we have troglodites going crazy over 3GB cards tanking at 1440p max settings in demanding games.

I don't know if the average 'pc gamer' is becoming more ignorant because PC gaming is becoming more popular, or it's just a question of hardware 'noobs' starting to join hardware communities; but the end result is that I feel nauseous whenever I look at Reddit.

Of course Pascal and Polaris will stomp the 28nm generation, I just sincerely doubt the cards coming out this year will even aim to replace Fiji XT( is the fury x gpu called that ) and GM200.

Yes.

Metal Gear Solid V may not be the prettiest game to come in 2015, but god damn it was the best optimized.

1080p60 Very High/High with no volumetric smoke on a 570 and an i7 920.

17. Totally agree with this statement! If you want 1080p or higher at ultra settings at 60 fps or above all the time you need to upgrade more often. Looking to upgrade by the end of the year after I see what the new card offerings are. A lot of games now are using more volumetric lighting and global illumination, which are performance expensive (15 to 20 fps cost) effects by their very nature. There is usually a graphics option to turn them off if they are dropping the framerate too much. Thankfully you can still make the textures look decent with forced 16x AF, which in modern day only cost 1-2 fps at most.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2016
  18. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    Maybe we should stop comparing Kepler cards with <3GB ram to Tahiti/Hawaii/Tonga/Fiji/Maxwell at max settings in modern games at 1440p.

19. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000

people are stubborn and prideful. i can't even count how many times i've had people comment about a game crashing.

In the past, i'd advise them that in most cases, that means stability issues with the PC, as crash reports in that game aren't common. And that somehow offends people. but anyways, they always kept politely telling me to "f off" because the system is stable and only crashes in that game.So I ended up wasting my time with forum post exchanges by trying to help someone.

Well, three weeks later, happened in another game, and he ended up making a thread on a new PSU buy, and later the crashes disappeared.

And situations like this one happen almost daily.

Most people overestimate their expertise, and then keep pointing fingers at games/drivers/apps, etc. It's like that in every hobby and field. It's no wonder that customer service is one of the most dreaded fields. you basically have to convince a stubborn ignoramus that he is wrong and you are right, without offending them. :)

But to spend time doing that in a forum while not getting paid? no thx. If someone would rather spend time tinkering and writing threads about issues with unconfirmed causes, instead of gaming, that's their choice.

20. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    PC gaming is on the rise last 5 years or so, there have been a lot of people who converted from consoles to PC gaming.

I think it's part of the problem why there have been so many complaints about performance from people with subpar systems demanding to play all latest games at ultra graphical settings and 60fps. These people were fed information from various mainstream gaming websites how you can build PC more powerful than consoles for the price of consoles and play all games maxed/nearly maxed out. These ex-console gamers also got taken by surprise by how quickly PC hardware becomes dated, because they were used to 8-10 year console cycles.

I hope they will learn and understand PC platform better with time, but for now we have to endure their bitching and whining how they can't play all games maxed out with 970 which will soon be 2 years old, or even more comically, 770/750Ti.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.