Asynchronous Compute

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Carfax, Feb 25, 2016.

1. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
  2. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Are there any benchmarks showing that it runs better on Radeons with OpenCL 2.0?

I'm not expecting more tbh. 10% increase from async compute on average in a real world game on Radeons sounds like a typical case which we'll see more often going forward.

Async compute will lead to big increases compared to DX11 only if DX11 will be used in such an ineffective way that a lot of GPU units will be idle there. This won't be happening very often b/c this is exactly what most developers are trying to avoid in their console optimizations and IHVs are trying to avoid with the help of their drivers. So don't expect "big" improvements from async compute on PC, ever. There are a lot of other stuff in DX12 which can actually provide _predictable_ performance increases and I'm expecting this to be used more widely and efficiently than the async compute capability.

DX12 extends tiled resources to 3D.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  3. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    It will be interesting to see how much NVidia gets out of async compute on Maxwell v2.

I'm still hopeful that they will implement it. Last beta driver (364.51) was a massive improvement in Gears of War Ultimate Edition compared to previous drivers (even before the latest patch), and I was able to get a nice increase in FPS in Rise of the Tomb Raider with DX12 on these same drivers..

So it appears that NVidia is definitely improving the quality of their DX12 drivers and are not sitting idle.

4. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Shocking news indeed 8)
    Yeah, I'm hoping that they'll support concurrent async compute execution in one of future driver updates.
    All DX12 drivers support async compute per se.

5. narukun

narukun Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 1561/7700
    I say goodbye nvidia in my next upgrade.

"DOOM Dev: Big Gains With Async Compute, But Everyone Is Getting Some Love" ---> goo.gl/gq5qOV

[​IMG]

6. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    This is a benchmark of a hacked alpha version of the game. If you intend to base your purchasing decisions on such data then all I can say is good luck mate.

7. narukun

narukun Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 1561/7700
    Sorry i posted the wrong link, so i fixed it. Im not basing my decision in just 1 data, every new game released and by release are going to perform better on AMD. Seems like their hardware with a lot of power usage and gflops are having a well use in DX12.

8. I laughed. Bravo.

9. narukun

narukun Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 1561/7700
    You guys are more optimistic than realistic. AMD always had a better hardware in papers, but never showed that in DX11. Now with DX12 and yes, async (because thats why im posting here), are using all that paper specifications right now. I dont find a good reason for nvidia to delay a good async driver to perform better in DX12 games, so maybe its because they're having problems with that and just delaying it as they can.

10. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    So sli is kinda confirmed to not work.

I'm also looking at around 30-40fps in Doom. That actually would explain my experiences with the alpha.

Good news for AMD as it seems their opengl implementation is good.

11. Not really. The new series of hardware from either side is not out yet and all this is speculation based on early, preferential and obviously shoddy software. If AMD does happen to release new competitive products and breaks Nvidia's near monopoly then all the better for us as consumers. Should keep all the wishful thinking to a minimum until then.

12. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Just like the division beta was heavily AMD favored and the retail is fair for both with nVidia takes the lead.

Pretty sure that nvidia will take the lead or tie the radeons, but in case if in a such big game the alpha results will be the retail results, that is bad news for nvidia.

13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    "Everyone Is Getting Some Love", i dont see the love for the green team in those charts.

14. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    are you sure?
    http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2462638

15. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB

16. Keesberenburg

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    My link is also the beta game.

17. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Alpha version chart. Not final. Beta optimisations yet to be seen at the end of this month.

For me, if they fix the fps drops while turning I will buy it, if it's not fixed then I will skip until my next build.

18. Keesberenburg

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
  19. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    So crossfire is useless in this game atm (even negative impact). The Division doesn't seem 2k friendly. Start dropping those fx settings...

20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Im reading you saw 30-40fps in Alpha with 980m. That seems low for your card. I actually tried Alpha on my system, was getting 60fps locked and my GPU usage wanst even maxed most of the time. Still have power to spare.

Idk, they also mentioned that game is using auto settings for each hardware. It may be that game was using higher settings on nvidia hardware thats why there is such a low fps on their part.