Sony to release updated, more powerful PS4.

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by XP-200, Mar 18, 2016.

1. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
  2. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Ugh, another gamble on whether or not the upgrades will actually be used (dsi and n3ds)

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i dont see it happen console addons that were meant to give it more power have never sold well or were used wildly for a reason. A newer console sooner then later more likely.

People by consoles over PC's cause they dont want to be bother with "upgrading" hw, if they did they would just buy PC desktops etc etc

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    if they have some sort of upgrade plan im all for it

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Don't see it happening, it's a risky if not borderline stupid decision by Sony.

It would alienate alot of consumers, create extra development time/costs for devs and allow MS to follow suit and get rid of the advantage the PS4 has over the X1.

6. SA SYS

SA SYS Guest

GPU:
    GEFORCE GTX 1080 FE
    Thank you!
    tomorrow is new year in iran ... and it can be the best joke in this year for me LoL!
    even fury x / titan x / 980 ti can't run games well in 4k . . .
    a 100$ apu console that runs games in 900P wants to run games in 4K?!!
    it's a joke .... maybe next gen console can run games like minesweeper in 4k 30fps :D
    but srsly next gen consoles must be for 4K gaming ( low sttings :D ) bc next gen amd's apus ( based on zen cpu + polaris gpu ) must be so strong!!

7. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    If Sony wants to push their 4K and VR platform on consumers, then I can totally see this happening. I'll gladly put my ps4 up for sale for a newer one with better specs if this turns out to be true.

8. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
  9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I remember saying once they need to update its gfx HW (especially xbox one), but all guru members said nah it won't happen, and now both are thinking of doing it :p

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    still wont happen and if does it will end badly like all the other HW expansion upgrades for consoles.

11. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    The step from 1080p to 2160p (4K) is huge, good luck, you'll need it.

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, Sony won't be able to do it without taking a huge hit financially.

Sony might want to push VR and 4k TV's but most console owners like that they are shielded from the never-ending upgrade cycle that would start if this happened.

Creating a new set of elitism and division within your own community would also be a bad idea.

13. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I am not seeing an upgrade piece for ps4 or X1 I can see upgraded new console tho... PS4 nor X1 do 4K so. And current ps4 won't have the power to run stuff in VR @ 90 or 120fps @ 1080p without big downgrade in graphics.

And tbh if they are going to release something new, with x86 they can simply set up games to recognize if it is being played on a ps4 or ps4.5 for example and it will downgrade the graphics to a certain spec.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  14. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    These rumors come with every console gen. The past has proven many times over that console gamers do not like add-ons.

It's one of the last things that separates the pc from console.

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black

that would great way to splinter there console gamers, they would have to develop for the lower denominator hw to keep people happy which would also lead to them make game that require that hw, which equivalent of them just releasing a new console. it better to have everyone have the same system when it come to consoles vs have addon hw that not everyone will have.

Like is been said few time already console game dont want the hassle of addons hw for the consoles, which why every time it been tried it has failed.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016

16. Sprecker

Sprecker Guest

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    Exactly. No one HAS to buy the new consoles. Just the people with the cash to burn that want to play in VR and 4k. Everyone else will go on as usual with no loss noticed.
    Game Companies already code for more than one system with vastly different specs so, that argument is moot. It will be the exclusives that will be, well, exclusive and I don't doubt that Sony and MS will have their "New Vers Console Exclusives" as incentive but not so much or so many that it would abandon or fragment their player base. Not anymore than releasing a VR set would anyway. I am sure it will have it's very own exclusives like the Kinect did and Sony's Move thingys did.

TL;DR
    I agree with Quoted Post.
    It probably will happen as rumored and no one will will be any worse of because of it. Least of all Sony and MS or their player base.
    PC gaming has nothing to do with this. At all. It never has. It never will. Get over it already.

17. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    If companies neglect the old PS4 people will be worse off, same thing if people spend money on the new system and devs don't bother with it much.

Devs don't already code for more than one system, it's one.
    Adding two for Sony and two for MS will be adding strain to what is already tight publisher driven schedules.

They could market it in a Sony VR package, but with alot who already are expecting Sony's VR to work with existing hardware i dont think that will go down well either.

18. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    The only viable option would be a slim version which has better VR capabilities. It wouldn't need a name change or be confusing to consumers. Adding a second version now would hurt the PS5 release.

19. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I wonder if it would be possible to upgrade the GPU/CPU/Memory on the present PS4 mobo, then you could send your present PS4 to Sony to get the upgrade, although unlike the RROD fix, you would have to pay for said upgrade, but it would cost considerably less than a whole new system.

Assuming of course all this is indeed true.

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Only way this would be doable is IF sony upgrade all exsiting ps4 as long as they a receipt showing they was the owner,

But i dont see this happen.