CRYENGINE Showcase Video GDC 2016

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Crytek has released the GDC 2016 trailer for CRYENGINE, showcasing some of the games (Monster Hunter Online, Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3, SNOW, Civilization Online, Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Wolcen) t...

CRYENGINE Showcase Video GDC 2016

2. AcidSnow

AcidSnow Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    The engine doesn't really impress me much at all... Everything looked like a video game, so either bad on the devs, or the engine is just that average. /unimpressed

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It's supposed to look like video games, they are video games.

4. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I had to read that a few times :)

5. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    True, but hey, at least they don't lie like Ubisoft.

6. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Graphics don't look that groundbreaking or spectacular to me, also unimpressed. New Unreal Engine looks better to me, more realistic lighting is the first thing that comes to mind.

7. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    they need to stop posting videos about how great their stuff is and fix their site instead.

cant even post in the forums.

8. zhalonia

zhalonia Active Member

GPU:
    r9 290 4gb
    cryengine video

i think most of you guys are mistaking this with the new cryengine 5 they just released suggest you wait till you see that footage ;) :banana:

9. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Looks fine to me. It's obviously current generation based games.

10. Phyxsyus

Phyxsyus Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    This! And even worse, there's an issue when sometimes you can't even login to the launcher, so engine doesn't open.

11. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I had the same reaction. Looks very average to me. Nothing to show off or write home about.

12. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I got Cryengine5 installed on my computer.

I'm not impressed.

[​IMG]

13. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    That must be amongst the most boring screenshot ever. Show us something!

14. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Read between the lines!

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Oh, yeah UE4 showcase looked some much better.

16. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    I would love to see a news release by some company announcing their ground breaking game design and control system. Isn't there an old saying about judging things on their looks? Is that what gaming has come to?

17. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    No, but the development money is hard to come by if you are telling the bank you have decided to develop your new game using technology which will make the game look worse than the competition.

We all know the biggest selling game in the history of computer games is Tetris, and Minecraft is very popular - but none of that matters to investors IF you are planning to have something which is supposed to compete graphically with other games, or, games in the same genre.

The market expects a certain 'wow factor' when they are spending $60-100 for a computer game.

An indie game for $5 can look like PS1 graphics, a AAA brand new game cannot - the market just will not tolerate it.

18. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    That sounds like a good argument but it assumes that graphics is all that matters...to the bank, the company or the consumers. But an argument could be made that all the bank or company want is something that captures the market's attention at least as much as graphics do. If that could be demonstrated then financial backing would be made available. It's all a matter of selling the concept.

Of course the real circumstances are much more complicated and I could not adequately spell it all out. My point in my first post still stands. I cannot believe gaming has boiled down to just how things look and nothing else. But that's how it appears. People do not have to accept what is being spoon fed to them but most are not aware of that or simply don't care enough to make noise about it. For myself, I see it as a sad state of affairs at present. You might say the whole industry has fallen into a pothole of sorts and can't figure out what the next step is.

19. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Perhaps, but it is hard to argue with investors that your game is going to be GTA2 graphics when you are charging people GTA5 prices.

Video games are argumentum ad populum, when it comes to consumers spending money. If there is a trend set for the level of graphics for $60-100, the market demands it.

Even the most impressive game mechanics, with the most engrossing storyline and Oscar-winning dialogue will fall flat on it's face if it tries to demand $60-100, yet is graphically below indie. The reviewers will pummel it, and psychologically it will appear to not have VFM and, like an infection, will spread into the minds of consumers.

Conversely, a brand-new AAA game with úber DX13 graphics can demand whatever it wants from consumers, and they will buy it.

This has been the case for nearly 4 decades now...and I am yet to see anything buck this trend.

20. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    If anyone's interested, the entirety of the Humble Bundle (Cryengine Assets etc) is 137 GB once downloaded and unpacked. The Cryengine download itself was about 1.1 GB. :nerd: