Intel in talks with AMD to license graphics

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Intel is interested in AMDs IGPs embedded into their processors. Most likely Intel is hungry for patent / IP / licenses. The talks are continuing and may not result in a deal, according to people fam...

Intel in talks with AMD to license graphics

2. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Now this could be good for AMD bring some money to the house.

3. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Maybe not so good in the long term anyway. Depend what is really in the deal outside money, and on what IP's.

4. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    This sounds like an AMAZING idea!!! Amd has strong graphics Intel has strong cpu together they can make a Amazing Apu! For someone like me this would be awsome to see as I support both companys. Hell yeah I say go 4 it.

5. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    it's more like shoot own feet (as laptop is one big market for AMD in APU and in GPU)...

but indeed it would do great thing for consumer but also would be the start of the end for AMD and Radeon...

*edit* last time intel have done that with NVidia and the result was endless law pursuit...

6. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Dunno, i dont think the point is to use full AMD graphics on Intel "APU".. Mostly some patent IP licencing for ameliorate their own Intel graphics chips. ( caches coherency, memory side, unified memory access, interconnect, computing side etc )

Knowing some peoples from Intel graphics ( not friends so ), i have seen the work they have done thoses last years and i really doubt they want to throw all of this out.

This type of deal is anyway comon between AMD and Intel ( just look at CPU x86)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Intel has technologically advanced iGPUs, but there is sad thing about them... Even at 14nm they are power hungry.

8. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Amd needs any Deal they can get- .I even thought intel might be scared on account of Zen coming out but I doubt it. We shall see what happens,Interesting times ahead thats for damm sure.Nz

9. konmarin

konmarin Member

GPU:
    evga gtx 750 ti sc
    They will loose apu sales which is a strong counterpart to expensive 5675c-5775c and if they allow to use amd graphics technology no one will buy apu anymore...

10. kegastaMmer

kegastaMmer Guest

GPU:
    strix 1070 GTX
    wow thats a real shocker, i wonder whats next.
    amd better hold on to their strengths tightly whichever way this deal goes

11. jimdove

jimdove Guest

GPU:
    Windforce 1080ti
    wont adding amd to the equation end up with the need of massive cooling from now on hehe

anyway, imagine if intel just bought amd.............................. i think thats the only way nvidia would **** itself

12. plywood99

plywood99 Guest

Bad deal for AMD.

13. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    What deal?....the cash injection deal?

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah, cash is bad for AMD. They need to stay in the red because that's their team color.

15. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    How many APU system's are sold compared to say an Intel CPU? Intel has most of the market down. Just from royalties alone, AMD would make a killing with this deal.

16. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    They might, but Intel would be able to crush them even more by putting higher end graphics in their lower end processors effectively killing AMD's APU market share.

17. edilsonj

edilsonj Active Member

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3060 Ti
    Hhhmmm...

AMD in consoles, your own APUs, your own GPUs, in others CPUs...

Is it a new monopoly? I like it.

18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    [​IMG]
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/2839306-intels-leadership-in-notebook-processors-is-unchallenged

This is the most recent one I found for laptop market share, I'm sure there is a more recent one out there but the actual results probably would not be that different.

My point is, AMD has a very low market share. Say Intel does strike a deal to put R7 IGPU's in their core series cpus, not just one or two of them but most of them including one of their most mainstream mobile CPU's right now the Core-M 5200u. Will AMD lose market share in this? Of course, they might go down to say 10% market share for example. But that 90% that Intel owns, let's say 70% of that belongs to Intel CPU's with AMD iGPU's inside. That is a huge cash intake for AMD. Their only cost at this point, is to make the GPU.

19. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Sure but what does that mean for the price of Intel CPUs? Pushing AMD further out of the competition would allow Intel to charge whatever they want. That isn't good or anybody.

20. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    nvm.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016