Asynchronous Compute

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Carfax, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Ofcourse it was a good choice. It's into it's 4th year now and still plays almost all games.

Recent developments doesn't change anything. Heck, my mate bought my old PC off me a few years back that had a GTX570 and only recently upgraded. Minimal problems and we've both had our monies worth out of it.

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Fermi has been much better in performing after all this time. It even gets WDDM 2.0/DX12/Vulkan. It was the NVIDIA equivalent of GCN to the AMD Terascale. I regret I got a 6950 instead of a GTX 570 back then.

3. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    I don't think you got what he asked. Relative to choosing a 7970 over the 680 at the time, was it a good choice?

4. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Yes. At the time, ofcourse it was.

To get a bigger picture you have to look at performance comparisons over the last 4yrs. If the performance was good for the first 3yrs, then, yes. Definitely.

In the 3rd to 4th year you can argue that 7970 was better choice, but, that needs you to forget about the first 3yrs.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016

5. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    That's the present.

That's the past.

Make up your mind.

6. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Look at post above, I have explained my reasoning.

7. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The thing is, even when released and it was slower than the 680, it was still like comparing two top-end cards. More like the Fury X vs the 980Ti today. None of them are "slow", I wasn't "missing out" on anything. But now the 680 IS missing out. The differences in some of the newer games are ridiculous. From 20-50%. The max difference that the 680 has ever had over the 7970 in total, was something like 10% average (some titles were higher, some lower). The differences in newer titles is almost catastrophic. The 7870 is reaching up on 770 performance, that would be a bad joke just 8 months ago.

8. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Since the first year the 7970 was a better choice. Remember the Never Settle drivers?

9. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Are we going to overclock aswell?

10. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders

11. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    3-4yrs to get there though...

If we accept 30fps+ as being still relevant, then, yeah 7970 is still doing well.

If we accept 60fps+ as being relevant, then, both cards are EOL for new games.

For you PR, you could go cf very cheaply http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...w=radeon hd 7970&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Got to love how honest you are about buying Nvidia again as you're running a Titan. But I would not be surprised to find many Nvidia users very much feel sympathetic to your opinion, like me. But... times might change. Hasn't felt that close in years, at least for me. We will have to be patient, I thought dx12 would be around faster.

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Nvidia can always release another 337.50 magic driver, fixes even more driver overhead, adds extra drawcalls and index/vertex buffers etc, bam now maxwell and kepler doesnt look so bad anymore. And amd lags behind again. Back at 337.50 i saw 20fps min boost by cpu bound stuff e.g. HitmanAbsolution.

And I think they will once they have this async fiasco under controll and make a workaround to harvest all its async power via hardware cuda to dx12 api.

14. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I'm sure every user would like some free-performance loving right about now :D Heck, if they give me 20fps boost in new Need For Speed I would be very happy lol.

This war is far from over though and I'm sure the driver team are sweating it to beat AMD. I'm sure cash incentives per fps would help. :banana:

15. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The issue is more how in the beginning the differences were max 10%, and even less, yet now it's on the 20-50% ballpark. As for framerates, I have no fetish really. Unless it's an FPS, 30 are fine for me. With most games I can get PS4 quality at 1080p60, or much better quality at 30fps. I honestly see no reason to upgrade yet. As for CFX, I have already burned myself with a multiGPU. Never again unless the whole paradigm has shifted for sometime.

I don't believe that there's anything left to be squeezed out of DX11, especially for NVIDIA. As for Async, we'll see. My bet is that even if they do anything, the performance differences will be marginal at best.

16. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Pr, I think for people like you when you do finally upgrade it's gonna be amazing.

I really struggle to hold onto hardware when enough games start dropping below 60fps.

As for the performance difference...perhaps AMD optimisations benefit across the board more so than Nvidia? It's hard to say what's going on without access to driver code.

17. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Oh yeah. The plan is to upgrade to the best price/performance higher tier 16/14nm card, from either AMD or NVIDIA.

18. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I think that's the best position to take cause right now nothing is certain what's going to happen with this years releases.

19. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    GCN is much more unified as an architecture than going from Fermi to Kepler and then Maxwell. I haven't seen a single driver release that benefited higher models, not benefit mine.

20. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I am hoping AMD have the best card this gen we need AMD to keep going as a NVidia only GPU manufacturer would be a nightmare