[Official] - Windows 10 TH2 RTM

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    SearchUI exe is a different registry, that one only turns off cortana.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.Searchxxx

will have to rename those, easier than taking control of Exe and this way you dont event log errors about those exes not being found and what not.

I use classic shell and search works

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yah i dont want to resort to use classic shell or any of those i just want cortana to stop eating 8-10% along with com surrogate every time i bring up the startmenu, 20% cpu load for just bring up the startmenu seem rather high

Some times I can leave taskmanger open see no load on cpu, I bring up startmenu and i instantlly see both cortana and com surrogate using 8-10% cpu, I close startmenu and drops back to 0% open it again and 8-10% again on both, close it and 0%

Other times it just running with out starmenu even being up, either my install is some how messed up again or startmenu eat to much resources. But for most part these issue seem tied to opening the starmenu it start eating 20% cpu when start menu is open and then drop back to 0% when it closed. that seem very high usage for startmenu. it almost like its bugged im thinking it supposed to be trigger when startmenu is used and then release when it closed, but it get bugged and not releasing the usage when its closed some times. cause when it still eating that 20% usage between the 2 I can open close startmenu a few time and it releases. this all with win10 startmenu not the 3rd party ones

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.Search

renaming that dont stop cortana from starting though atlest not on my end most cause if i rename it just make new entry in registry so it is correct

I made feedback about this and show them how to reproduce this, when and if they fix this another question but i convinced it getting bugged and not releasing when startmenu is closed at random

Windows-Feedback:?contextid=163&feedbackid=d9698448-145d-43f8-8066-f010c27b3097&form=1&src=2

above is the url link to the feedback

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    well since i fiqure out why this was happen and how to stop it, cortana usage has been normal, cortana/com surrogate both kick in with 8+ % CPU usage when startmenu is up and is supposed to release when it closes, but for what ever reason it is random getting bugged and not releasing, hiting the windows key on the keyboard a few times and it releases.

16% usage for startmenu usage seem rather high but if releases the usage when closed it not issue.

4. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    people say windows 10 messed up their hardware.

other responded saying windows cant mess up hardware.

but for me it seems it does do something to hardware.

because my computer behaves differently with windows 10.

1. when shutting down. system will sometimes turn it self on backup couple minutes later.
    2. when I power the system on, it sits at the bios post for a long time sometimes.

3. monitor doesnt want to come out of sleep mode. sometimes no signal on bios post.

I also have windows 7 install on this system. and none of those things happen when using it.

5. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    mine uses 0.2% of the cpu when start menu is opened

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    On my work laptop, Win8.1 was 100% stable. Memory was verified by memtest. Install Win10 and suddenly I have a bad stick of ram....revert back to 8.1 and the ram is fine again... Something is definitely screwy with Win10...

7. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Windows 10 uses Memory Management more efficiently than 8.1, with memory compression and other stuff, so if you know your ram stick was bad on 10, then the problem is the RAM.

I would suggest you try the bootable MemTest for a few hours.

1 - It's part of the hybrid sleep, PC will boot up only to enter a deeper suspension mode.

2. Well, what can you see on the bios post?

3. If your monitor has no signal on bios post, then it's likely Windows 10 has nothing to do with your issue. But you could try to disable Windows fast boot, it can cause issues on older systems, it's somewhat similar to the issue of some systems having trouble booting from hibernation.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    then something in my OS install has gona hay wire.. cause it 8-10% from both those processed when the starmenu is open ( the menu where all the live tab are shown)

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    this comment got me thinking last night so i thank you for tell me what you usage was. So I just did test I restarted into Safemode and Cortana was using .02% there like you said it did for you.

So I booted back into normal mode and sure enough when brought up the startmenu, Both Cortana and Com Surrogate, instantly started eating 8-10% cpu. that would drop to 0% when the start menu is closed, IF it those 2 processes didnt get stuck running.

Other day a process from Avast called Asww10mon.exe, was running that collection information on window10 startmenu,cortana,search issue after digging more on there forums there was a links on there about issue with startmenu, that was thought to be cause by avast, but in safe mode avast dont run.

I was gona uninstall avast and see if both cortana and com surrogate both did the 8~10% cpu usage on startmenu open, but There was post about doing clean/safeboot, so fiqure i do that first, Went into MSconfig and selected diagnostic startup, and rebooted,

Startmenu and cortana com surrogate, all worked properly .02% usage on open startmenu, I then went back to msconfig and selected normal start up and rebooted again, Startmenu and cortana com surrogate all working proper still.

This is first time in 3 + months I seen startmenu not eat up this that 16~20% cpu usage. I should reboot my system a few times to see if this fixed but, I will just leave as it for the day, and keep eye on this boot to see if sticks, cause I was getting tired of keeping and eye on the usage that startmenu used, if this fixed the whole cortana get stuck running too even better.

but as now after doing the msconfig diagnostic startup reboot it been working proper.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The memory passed memtest with no errors.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Think I might of solved why my system had erractly long boot times, along with fiqure out why SSD had 97gb free when it should of had like 99-100gb free like it did with win7 and win 10 10240.

Apprantly turning off hibernation they way i normal did since winxp?/win7 which was powercfg -h off in cmd didnt work (maybe i didnt do from admin cmd the 5 times I reinstalled th2) or there was bug back then keeping the command from working?

yesterday I check the registry "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power"

HibernateEnabled=1 (on) which shocked me cause cause above command supposed to disable it so I set HibernateEnabled=0 (disabled)

Rebooted and was shocked by fact system booted normally, and shocked again by fact my SSD now says I have 100gbs free, so apparently (hibernation which use 75% of total of ram for it file) was never disabled all this time.

This might explain why enabling or disabling fastboot never fixed this erraticly long boot times, then again i wouldnt be shock if i turn on my pc tomorrow and see the erratic boot time again, but i did reclaim about 3gbs of ssd and fix my issue with startmenu causing cortana and com surrogate to eat combined 16~20% cpu in past 2 days.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Any one have task scheduled in task scheduled called RegisterUserDevice and if so does it fail for them? no clue what it for but according to reason it cause "specified account dont exist" been failing for ever thinking of disabling it.

13. Bhaal

Bhaal Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Definitely a beta OS.

Appdata/Local/Temp folder grows so fast every few days i need to clean it. I had over 30 GB there. Disk cleanup didnt see it. Does anybody know how i can stop this ?

14. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    Your the first person i hear this happening to. Could it be a program you downloaded doing this? What are the names of the files that are so big?

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I have CCLEANER set clean that every time it runs along with other temp dirs for since like win7

I also set most of temp defualt dir for windows to 1 temp folder

16. Bhaal

Bhaal Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Nothing new installed, just got the notification from Windows. I clean it, but i never had to until now. I see some other people having problems but no permanent solution.

17. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    What kind of files are there? .tmp,.xml or something else?
    30GB is monstrous,maybe you install or download something.

Look into Event Viewer: Custom Views/Admin Events or Windows logs/App or System.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  18. Bhaal

Bhaal Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Aparently there are some files related to dism, dismhost.exe being present. They're being copied over and over and over again in folders with different strings. Never had this problem in 7 , 8 , 8.1 . Tried fixing with dism online but it didnt do the trick. Gonna try again with another Windows 10 image mounted.

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    not sure if this windowed 10 bug or what, but I noticed that IF i move my mouse constantly inside a window with in window10 this will spikes the cpu use up.

Example If mouse is moved constantly in side the

Task Manager
    File explorer

it only goes from 0% to about 2% though, but if this is done in say

Firefox
    Cyberfox
    Thunderbird
    Aida64

windows it spikes from 0% to 5~7 % or more? any one else notice this? or has it always been like this? or is some issue with current nvidia drivers??

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  20. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    If I move my mouse inside Chrome browser window cpu spikes to 6-14% briefly.AMD card