LG to offer 34UC88-B 34-inch curved IPS LCD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    LG is to release a 34-inch curved LCD monitor called 34UC88-B. It is absed on an AH-IPS panel with sRGB coverage of 99%, this ultra-wide 34-inch LED-backlight monitor supports a native resolution of 3...

LG to offer 34UC88-B 34-inch curved IPS LCD

2. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    ^ Nice looking beast. Shame about the $1000 price tag. :(

3. Ryffryder

Ryffryder Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW2
    You will get a Division copy though, so its roughly like 950$ ¯\_(-_-)_/¯

4. ontelo

ontelo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    What about hz? No mentioned, so it's prob 60.

5. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Anything less than 100 hz is a no-go for me...

6. Davud

Davud Member

GPU:
    MSI 5700XT Gaming X
    I would happily spend 300 more for ROG PG348Q ...
    and I would get Gsync/100hz/rog looks

7. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    This is the going rate for these types of displays today. What do you feel is a realistic price? I mean, some 27" displays go for upward of 500-600.. these displays are larger, curved, and in this case offer very good color reproduction and still have the "newness" factor 21:9 ratio.

Not surprised in the least by the price. That's what it costs to play :)

That said, this display is a pass if its only 60hz when you can spend a bit more and get better refresh via overclocking.

8. Zemial

Zemial Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7970 @ CF
    It is 60Hz monitor, so pass for me.

9. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Have fun trying to drive 100+ fps @ 3440x1440.
    With 290x xfire I have a hard time maintaing 75fps @ 3360x1440 on my LG 29 inch ultra wide with new games on ultra.

Though most of these IPS 21:9 overclock to 75hz which is still pretty nice when paired with freesync or gsync.

10. Toss3

Toss3 Guest

GPU:
    WC Inno3D GTX 980 TI
    Considering we'll soon have HDR displays with displayport 1.3 capable of 144Hz on 3440x1440@10bit, this feels a bit dated even before it has been released.

11. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Gsync displays are oc-able to 100. Freesync to 75.

You are right about driving them.. even sli 980TI or Fury X will have trouble maxing out frames on these displays when all set to ultra. I do well enough with a single 980TI, but am hoping that Pascal will really take it up a notch. That was my intention when buying my display.

Again, we don't even have capable single cards to drive 100hz, never mind 144 @ that resolution. I find it hillarious when people can say it feels "dated"

And, as someone with one of these displays, would I feel a lack for not having the extra 44hz + 10 bit? Not even remotely.

12. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black

13. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I agree, I'm not too thrilled with this fragmentation at all.. I'd much prefer if Gsync could be used with any hardware. In my case, it doesn't effect me as much because I'm a happy Nvidia user, and doubt that I'll change back to AMD again.

However, open source hardware is open source hardware.. its always better for the majority of users and for hardware adoption in general.

It is amazing though to use these new technologies.. I can't imagine going back to gaming without gsync. Its just so nice to play games with.

14. Toss3

Toss3 Guest

GPU:
    WC Inno3D GTX 980 TI
    I don't know about you, but when I spend about 1k$ on something, I usually want the latest and greatest, and this isn't it. I feel like most of these curved monitors being launched right now are just a money-grab by the manufacturers until we get HDR monitors later this year. Would you buy a Titan right now knowing that Polaris and Pascal are just around the corner? :3eyes:

15. A7ibaba

A7ibaba Member

GPU:
    ASUS ROG Matrix R9 290X
    I just love these comments "no 100hz,you shall not pass".And a whole decade they played games on 60 hz and TN panel. Now all of the sudden 100hz+ is a must.Buy a CRT Samsung 959 NF monitor and enjoy.

16. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Actually, it is the latest and greatest. Maybe not necessarily this exact model display, but others like the x34, z35 and upcoming Asus ROG offering..
    Is the monitor you're speaking of released yet? No, so that would make the ones I mentioned the latest and greatest. for right now.

I fail to see what your point is. there will always be something new out that supercedes what is currently the top end. I've had this ultrawide 100hz monitor for months already and nothing is topping it yet, only upcoming displays that come close to matching. So yeah, not really sure what your point is.

Also, Money Grab? How cheap you think a 34" HDR 10bit panel @ 144hz is gonna sell for? If its much less than what's out currently, I will eat my hat..

17. Toss3

Toss3 Guest

GPU:
    WC Inno3D GTX 980 TI
    It's not the latest as it lacks HDR support (we already have monitors and TVs capable of meeting the spec). You are right that there is always something better around the corner, but there is a difference between waiting two months and waiting for two years, and a difference between a minute improvement and a massive one, and I'd argue that HDR is going to be the biggest leap we've seen in monitors in years (decades really). Ultra-wides were great when they launched, but their prices are way too high right now for what they offer. I know I'd rather grab a 2560x1440 144hz monitor right now to hold me over until we get the new generation of monitors. So if you got one when they launched great, but if you are planning on buying one right now I would hold off for a bit to get something that is going to have a much longer lifespan.

18. DrHeidarzadeH

DrHeidarzadeH Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD 7950 3GB
    Hilbert Hagedoorn, was you drunk when writing this news?

"It is absed on an AH-IPS panel..."
    "he monitor is also packed with..."

19. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    The fact that he only had 2 typos out of that long a review is pretty damned impressive afaic.

Additionally, I'm SO SURE you would do better.
    :stewpid: