HITMAN won't run in 144hz mode?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by BradleyW, Mar 16, 2016.

1. BradleyW

BradleyW Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X CFX
    Hitman will run @ 144Hz in Full Screen, but not in Exclusive Full Screen. Does anyone know of a way to fix this? Issue is present on both D3D11 and D3D12 mode.

BenQ XR3501 144Hz MiniDP 1.2
    Crimson 16.3
    CFX Disabled
    290X
    Win 10 64 bit.

Thank you.

2. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Exclusive mode is a heritage of the DirectDraw API era, where a fullscreen application has the ownership of the adapter, preventing other process to allocate memory on the adapter and controlling the adapter output. No more, nor less.
    On D3D12 fullscreen mode is no more "exclusive", as it was before (D3D11 included), this mean the OS can take the presentation control if needed (ie: to display something on the screen).
    You do not need the exclusive mode to run fullscreen at uncapped framerate. Note that current driver may not correctly yet implement the D3D12 fullscreen mode (ie: they may use DWM instead of bypassing it).
    Note also that developers have many ways to handle fullscreen presentation, so they may deliberate decide to use some kind of frame synchronization to prevent tearing, especially on D3D12 since they have the complete control of how and when frames are presented (and partial control on Windows 8/8.1). Finally, the driver is involved in the presentation too, to reduce tearing as well.
    Moreover, you cannot run that game at 144 FPS with your hardware, at least on high settings.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  3. BradleyW

BradleyW Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X CFX
    I have found a solution:

Open Regedit and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ SOFTWARE \ IO Interactive \ Hitman.
    Find a key called "Refreshrate". Double click it and define your desired value. I used a Hex value of 9 0 which equals 144 in decimal. 144Hz now works with Exclusive full screen!

4. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    I have no idea who was the idiot who came up with this ridiculously stupid myth of "framerate=refreshrate" but i would love to hang him/her for such messing in people heads. Framerate is number of frames generated by hardware in specified game/program. Refreshrate is number of refreshes of image per second which display can do, it is parameter of a display and it has nothing to do with framerate.

Nice finding, thx for posting it.