Review: ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q monitor review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We review the spectacular ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q. Big and curved, as it is 34-inches combined with a proper 3440x1440 (21:9 aspect ratio) pixel resolution. The PG348Q is a 60Hz monitor that can manage ...

Review: ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q monitor review

2. So essentially this is my predator x34 panel but with an asus shell and on screen display. Thats it?

3. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    Please wake me up when HH will make a contest for it !
    Grate review boss.

4. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    No, LG makes this panel, not Acer. Your Predator is a "shell" around the panel just like this Asus is.

5. warezme

warezme Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 970GTX Classified
    Pretty much

Appears to be but I think yours was the better deal.

6. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    It is indeed exactly the same panel, though the ASUS monitor is more expensive. You could argue it looks better, but it's a matter of taste, I for one really dislike the new ROG color scheme and besides, all that fancy engravings are on the back of the monitor anyway. If you would have this in an office and someone walks in and sees it from behind and go oh-**** that's awesome, then ok, but it will be back against a wall 99% of the cases. :p

Anyway, I'll buy 3 of these in surround, kk, brb.

7. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    Great review Hilbert! It is a nice monitor with some cool features. I would need to buy a new enthusiast GPU before considering an ultra wide monitor though. Will you be reviewing the first OLED monitor from dell in the future? I don't know if you even review dell products.... if not, that's fine. Keep up the good work.

8. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    If you read it again, they never suggested Acer made the panel.. they said "the same panel as my x34" which is correct. It is the same panel. So, your comment is unnecessary.

I agree, the back panel looking all grooved its like, why bother? You will never see it or get to enjoy it anyway.

I personally don't care for the led on the base, and if you're like me and mount your display, you won't use it anyway, so also, a waste.

Either way, its a great display. Just depends on which "packaging" you like more.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  9. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    I would prefer some kind of led lighting on the back similar to ambx that changes colour with the games, not sure what the purpose of the led on the bottom is for other than looks just seems like pointless tat to me, nice screen tho and perked my interest until I saw the price tag.

10. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Not pointless at all actually.

I have mine set to 3 which is not too terribly bright, but actually bright enough that it bounces off my desk and illuminates my keyboard. When I turn the lights off and game, that light gives me enough that I can clearly see my keyboard which is in fact very handy.

11. Davud

Davud Member

GPU:
    MSI 5700XT Gaming X
    Thank you for the great review as always.
    I am seriously considering this monitor but something I saw in a forum a few days ago is making me doubtful: HERE
    Can you please test and see if your sample is showing these horrific scanlines in 100hz mode? I assume it would need it two 980ti s two get there :D

12. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    Not really an issue for me as I have an illuminated keyboard but yeah glad you get some use out of it but I still think some kind of gaming light system would be better.

13. stefpats

stefpats Member

GPU:
    NvidiaGeForce2080Ti
    How do you think this monitor would run powered by a titan x sc i have?

psQ great review,was waiting some time for this.

14. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I do as well actually, but still.. provides a nice ambient glow. Sure, may not be useful for many, and it definitely is not a real selling point of these monitors. But, its a nice touch.

15. toronto699

toronto699 Guest

GPU:
    asus GTX660
    one thing not mentioned in the review is Black Light Bleed. IPS Glow , and how much does it have
    Hilbert?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016

16. ThundercatMan

ThundercatMan Guest

GPU:
    Msi gaming 980ti
    Lovely review guru!, got mine about 3 weeks ago in the UK and I totally agree with your review however I have had to send mine back as in the top right and top left (especially left) is really noticeable golden/yellow bleeding don't notice it in general games but in night games like batman and arma 3 and films its quite bad.
    Now I know some people might say that's normal but I'm nearly 50 and as a mature gamer have had the privilege to own some great monitors over the years this being the best overall ( I have to admit this :)) and for a £1000 monitor I'm sorry this isn't acceptable. I have asked for a new monitor to be sent out when in stock as I really love this monitor to bits.
    Back to using my Dell 29 panoramic again which is just under 19months old (no gsync sadly) and has ZERO bleeding or any other issues.
    One thing I will say which I have said on forums and reviews this stand is OverKill for this light monitor and you will need at least 800MM desk or do what I did on my 600mm depth desk push the stand off the back of the edge wedging it against the wall and tilting the monitor down. I prefer to be able to sit and with my arm out and fingers NOT touching the screen for comfortable viewing.

Ps I have to say again this is an amazing piece of kit. I just hope asus gets around its Q&A.

17. ThundercatMan

ThundercatMan Guest

GPU:
    Msi gaming 980ti
    see my post below mate and your right they don't mention it!
    Bad guru :banana:

18. ThundercatMan

ThundercatMan Guest

GPU:
    Msi gaming 980ti
    Hi mate running very demanding games like arma 3 with everything at pretty much max and fps doesn't drop below 50fps on my 980ti unless the server I'm playing on has bad lag (cant cure everything :))

19. toronto699

toronto699 Guest

GPU:
    asus GTX660
  20. ThundercatMan

ThundercatMan Guest

GPU:
    Msi gaming 980ti
    just had an official response regarding my now refunded PG348Q.
    Bottom line is ASUS cannot get the required uniformity in the current panels and you are to expect backlight issues on these panels "until the technology" allows for less.
    I have the FULL email which I can put here if need be. Needless to say I wont be buying another from them!
    TcM