980 Ti Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by AvengerUK, Jun 1, 2015.

1. The Sleeper

The Sleeper Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 FE
    Just did a FurMark test, and it goes to 91c pretty fast and stays there at 66% fan speed and downclocks 400-600 Mhz ... it's clearly defekt!

Yes .. i can set custom fan curve but it goes up and down, and up and down .. makes a lot of noise :)

It is not possible to set manual fan speed at all!

PS. This is with the case open and a lot of cool air.

Will you please try to run a FurMark at DSR 2560x1440p and see how high your temps get after 10 min? (no aa)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Oh yeah, the S seems to be able to house HDDs on the back as well (the R5 can only house SSDs) which is clever. Also the S seems to be a bit cheaper too.
    I don't want to replace/discard my BD drive though just for case switching.

If I remove the HDD cages from the R5 the front fan intakes are completely exposed and like said I could fit the HDD to the other 5.25 inch bay with an adapter:
    [​IMG]
    Plus the 5.25 bay is completely removable too so I can free up that space later if I discard my optical drive. My HDD will likely be replaced by another SSD at some point.

@Deathchild

I had a sudden deja vu experience and realised you said you're gonna do the exact same thing (fit HDD to ODD bay) :D
    Hey, you said you need a 2.5 -> 3.5 adapter. Does that mean a 3.5 drive can be mounted readily, does the ODD bay have screw holes for a 3.5 drive?

If so, I needn't any adapter as my HDD is the old-fashioned 3.5 drive.

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    That's a faulty card, no doubt about it.
    Good that you're gonna do the vendor return. And good that it was pointed out, RMA isn't the only option with new products.

4. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    lol no I was noob myself, I actually meant 5.25 :D (didn't know the actual term/size for the thing lol).

5.25 to 2.5 then, I think? I mean a normal odd to hdd. :D Don't know what size my current SSHD is.

Found one, http://arvutitark.ee/est/tootekatal...MOUNTING-FRAME-35-IN-525-MF-543-GEMBIRD-40097

Though don't know if I really need it because my hdd is sitting just fine right now there, with no backup. :D

5. Jamie T

Jamie T Guest

GPU:
    GPU
    I can't get ****ty Cs Go to stop dropping down to 90fps and 40fps and stuff its such a joke.
    -novid -nojoy -freg 144 -refreshrate 144 -high -threads 8 got that in launch options it all doesn't matter, got power usage on max.

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    Uninstall 3dvision if you havent already.

7. The Sleeper

The Sleeper Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 FE
    So ... an faulty GTX 980TI update from Denmark :)

I returned the card for testing this morning at the shop where i bought it. Two hours later they called, and said i could drop by and get a brand new card ... so all is good ... and the new card keeps real cool and very quiet!

In Furmark at 1440p it never goes above 74 c and 50% fan speed ... im very pleased :)

Thanks for all the good advice ... much appreciated :cheers:

8. maxx126

maxx126 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 980 Ti Gaming GE 6GB
    Glad to hear that my friend. Have fun with your new card.

9. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Dat's more like it!
    Enjoy, the 980 Ti is a beast allright!

Btw the shop handled your case very well IMO. They realised the card was bust and so offered you a replacement without making you wait for a possible repair or whatever.
    Which shop btw and do they deliver outside Denmark too? :D

PS: ordered the R5 so looking forward to some PC buildin' this weekend. Turns out I couldn't even wait for the next paycheck...

Btw O' child of Death and wind of Nether (=Deathchild and Netherwind ;)), do you have any top fans in your cases? In other words have you tried replacing the Moduvent covers with dust filters?
    I thought I could just cover up the necessary hole(s) with 140 mm magnetic fan filters. Probably will put one fan to the top. Also to the side maybe.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  10. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Nah for max silence I keep everything sealed. 2 front intakes + a bottom seem to do the job.

If you get issues with temps I guess you can try with a top fan too.

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ yeah I'll experiment with fan configs to see what has the best cooling/noise ratio.
    Just a bit worried that only one fan for exhaust may not be enough with the top of the case sealed and the hot air will start circulating around the chassis.

Will try with front + bottom + rear fans first though, ie vent covers in place.
    Or maybe replace the side panel cover with a dust filter but not fit a fan yet to try and improve "exchange" of hot/cool air.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Wind of Nether says that it depends :)

If no AIO = No need to open top or side like Child 'o Death says
    If AIO with good and silent fans = Probably OK to mount it in the front, thus no need to keep top/side open
    If big AIO like H110i GT = Best to mount in top = more audible

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ ok :)

maybe I'm just too accustomed to nasty-ass cases like current one, surely the airflow within the case isn't optimal.
    Actually the intake airflow is non-existent currently. If I put my hand behind the HDD cage there's barely any palpable airflow coming from the fan.
    So the circulation depends entirely on the exhausting rear and top fans atm.

Ordered two Silverstone 140 mm magnetic dust filters/fan covers just in case though.
    http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=282&area=usa

14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Ju of Asi - let me know what you think of that Silverstone dustfilter :) I have two 120mm which I used in my Corsair Air 540 for the PSU fan and now I tried it as a side fan for my Define S but it's pretty bad (makes noise) :) I bought something in my local shop which performs great.

15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ actually the filters missed the delivery as the case had already been sent (I tried to add them to the same order after making it) so just the case for now.

Seems I dodged a bullet then, you mean they start rattling / vibrating with the fan? That's not good...

what did you get from the local shop?

16. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Not sure there,I've used those Silverstone magnetic filters on 750D and really never have issue with them no rattling,but this depends on case used..

I know on my Thermaltake Core X71 I can't use those filters and if yes then as in yours case will it cause noise

You can try have look on Akasa aluminium fan filter,which are OK,but still they're poorer than Silverstone

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

17. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
  18. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I wonder what the actual changes are lol.

19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Not rattling but the plastic "swirl effect" in the middle makes my fan do a hissing noise. Plus he holes in the filter are pretty small which makes the fan spin faster to compensate for the resistance. The good thing is obviously that they are magnetic :)

How's your swedish? :) http://www.inet.se/produkt/6990040/inet-flaktfilter-140mm-svart#/specs Not the best stuff out there, but it does its job.

Yes, I think its the combination of perforations and dustfilter that can cause noise.

20. Jamie T

Jamie T Guest

GPU:
    GPU
    Code:
    [B]Orginal Post[/B]
    I can't get ****ty Cs Go to stop dropping down to 90fps and 40fps and stuff its such a joke.
    -novid -nojoy -freg 144 -refreshrate 144 -high -threads 8 got that in launch  options it all doesn't matter, got power usage on max.
    I did that, but sadly I still got FPS drops to 40.
    This is such a joke, my 780 did better that was basicly always 299fps. (capped).

It's using the same settings, did I do something wrong installed it?
    Wrong cables if thats even possible..

[​IMG]

It's using the same cables as my old 780 did so It must be correct.