Gtx970

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by gridiron whirlw, Mar 12, 2016.

1. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    I have been out of the loop on video cards for awhile.

My son wants Tom Clancey's division game for his birthday, and his VC is getting a bit dated for this game, I think ?

Is the GTX970 a pretty dang good card to get him , that will run the latest games at good framerates at 1920 X 1080 for a good long while.

whats the best bang for the buck at this time and if the gTX970 is a good bang for the buck, what GTX970 is a rock solid one.....want something nice....his current card is MSI GTX570 Twin Frozen III, and has been rock solid since 2012.

Thanks for any info guys. :)

2. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Oh well, upgrading from a 570 to a 970 will really make a big difference game wise, cracking card for 1080p gaming, i am really happy with mine, and i went from a 760, for me this card will do for the next two years at least, then i will see how 4k gaming has taken off.

But i would be remiss if i did not point out that bang for buck, AMD cards are at present king of the hill, you could get a 390 8gig for what i paid for my 970 4 gig, BUT, with that comes the fact that some physx stuff will not be there with the AMD card and that personally is not something i could not do without now.

What is your budget?

3. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    I think he prefers nvidia cards.

Budget around $350

This card will play most new stuff at 1920 x 1080 at nice frames ?

4. OmniShift

OmniShift Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 770 DCU2 OC
    I'm using a GTX770 and I always run my games at 1080p, using generally high settings with few exceptions for very demanding games. I've played The Division beta at 1080p (although I don't remember the exact graphical settings, they were probably medium-high if not higher) and got a solid framerate. I'd say a GTX970 is plenty of power for 1080p gaming with todays titles.

5. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    I was hoping to hear this....thanks.

6. narukun

narukun Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 1561/7700
    I got the 970 and i regret it so far, because games need 4gb+ vRAM right now, specially MMORPGs. I recommend you as a gtx 970 user to get the R9 390 instead, great performance in DX12, more than twice of vRAM and even if you OC the 970 you can't compete (in dx12).

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    which mmorpgs use more then or 4GB vram? Just curious.

Most mmo's I played were build with older gpu's in mind, none seem to use more then 2gb vram..

8. narukun

narukun Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 1561/7700
    Wildstar with Ultra textures needs more than 4gb, everytime i try to play with my 970 i get a lot of stutter. Black Desert use 3.5-3.9gb of vRAM too, without stutter. So i think thats the future, more high res. textures, more npcs on screen + all the players, we will need like 8gb soon to play them without problems.

9. OmniShift

OmniShift Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 770 DCU2 OC
    First of all, isn't asking Ultra High settings of games a bit much? If you were going for 'it's only good enough if all games can run on max settings', then obviously a GTX970 will not suffice. My GTX770 only has 2GB and although I sometimes see the limitations of this part of my build, it's still giving me plenty of detail in textures to provide pretty scenery.

Second of all, aren't all GTX970's 4GB? Or was your argument that games need MORE than that? If it's the latter, then I would like to refute that argument even more for the same reason I mentioned above.

10. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    All gtx 970 are 3500 mb of vram, all gtx 980 are 4000 mb of vram.

11. narukun

narukun Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 1561/7700
    Games are needing a lot of vRAM since Watch Dogs and at that time, everyone was recommending 2gb, trust me, it feels like we're going to see the same story very soon, 4gb will be the new 2gb

12. OmniShift

OmniShift Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 770 DCU2 OC
    I just checked some vendors and they advertise all their GTX970's to have 4GB. Although in the more detailed description they do say '3584 MB (224 bit) + 512 MB (32 bit)'. I assume this is where the actual performance differs?

Nevertheless, I stand by my previous point that in my experience, 2GB is (in the vast majority of cases) still sufficient for current games, including The Division.

Obviously all specs will keep growing and 4GB will become the new 2GB, just like 2GB became the new 1GB and 1 GB became the new 512MB, etc. However, if you follow that logic, then the only absolutely viable option is a Titan X in quad SLI and still call it 'a card waiting to be outdated somewhere in the future'. Given the budget and current use he gave, I stand by my point.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  13. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    He much prefers Nvidia over ATI....he has suffered from longer time periods in between drivers...so I think i am going to go with a GTX970....any particular cards you guys would recommend over another ?

14. narukun

narukun Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 1561/7700
  15. OmniShift

OmniShift Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 770 DCU2 OC
    I personally find there to be relatively little difference between non-stock cards with the same GPU (compared to the differences between GPU's). So the way I would personally approach this is to check an online vendor for their stock of GTX970's, compare their clock frequencies, and make a selection of which cards you think have a good frequency/price ratio. You then start with the cheapest from your selection and go look for reviews online, specifically concerning practical things like noise, heat, and (if applicable) overclocking potential.

This is of course how I would approach it and you'll probably get different advice from every other user on this forum. None will likely be very much better than any other, so just go with what you think is the most sensible approach.

16. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    recently triple A titles got memory leak so even u got 32 GB VRAM also not enough like android can't optimize unlike iOS 1 GB still can survive.

17. narukun

narukun Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 1561/7700
    My version has 1418mhz core clock in stock, so yea, i think evga is the best

18. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    MSI Gaming or GigaByte G1. If you can before buying check what memory chips they use, both of those in first revisions use Samsung and Hynix chips and both mem chips are good for OC (if you can choose Samsung), but latest batches of both models (lots of them lately went through my hands) are "infected" with Elpida memory chips so don't expect much from mem OC on those.

19. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
  20. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Going from 570 to 970 he would be more than satisfied for 1080p gaming, with or without OC on that 970. Hope you'll get one with Samsung or Hynix mem chips. If you get Elpidas don't push it much over the stock freq, 300 to 400 max over the stock 7010. For GPU go straight for at least 1400 to 1450 without upping GPU voltage.

Fingers crossed, keep us updated about mem chips you got.

Edit
    1400 to 1450 with Boost, of course.