Tomb Raider (2015): Rise of the Tomb Raider

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Loophole35, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    VXAO does look radically better and much more accurate than HBAO+. It does hurt the performance more but doesn't cause enormous hit.

In my case DX12 runs worse and there was small flickering issue in Syria test. Everything maxed out except motion blur and film grain was disabled, FXAA and HQ16xAF forced through driver, 1080p.

EDIT:
    I did re-run in exclusive fullscreen mode and without v-sync.

DX12:
    [​IMG]

DX11:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  2. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Well whatever it was, it seems to have fixed that catastrophic frame rate drop I had, which I'm certain was due to some memory handling issue.

But now I just got my first CTD in RotTR! So the DX12 rendering path still needs quite a bit more baking..

Nixxes is on it though! :thumbup:

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Did another run and got an average of 107.18 with the sameish lows and peaks so pretty much yes.
    It also seems DX12 runs slightly better in borderless window (exclusive fullscreen disabled).

EDIT: yes, definitely repeatable and definitely runs slightly better in borderless window:
    [​IMG]
    DX12

so 364.51 driver and fullscreen off for the best performance with NV atm

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  4. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti

Tested without HQ 16xAF forced through the driver (by the way, I always set texture filtering to high quality globally).... Driver AF does cause rather noticeable performance hit but it does look better (though I need to double check this).

DX12:
    [​IMG]

DX11:
    [​IMG]

Does even the DX11 version really run that badly on Fury X?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016

5. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I can verify this as well. Just tested it, and windowed mode definitely performs better than fullscreen/exclusive fullscreen.

It's really weird though, because RotTR does not support borderless windowed mode if I'm not mistaken, so running in windowed mode you can see borders which is annoying.

6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    AFAIK running fullscreen without exclusive fullscreen is essentially a borderless window.

I toggled exclusive fullscreen on/off when testing and results were a bit better with excl. fullscreen off.

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^ I remember initial rls @780gtx i had to disable exclusive fullscreen to keep it stable or it would ctd a lot. But without exclusive it wasnt so smooth (more jerky camera moves, also it ran a liitle lower 3-4fps difference..

Lol looks like its the oposite now in dx12?

8. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    ^^You need vsync if you want to make it smooth. In borderless it doesn't matter if you select double or triple buffered vsync though since it forces triple buffering.

Yep. If you untick the exclusive fullscreen option it will run it in borderless mode.

9. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    OK you guys are right. :thumbup:

It's running better for me in Geothermal Valley, and I'm mostly at 60 FPS now.. Dips are much less frequent compared to DX11, especially when panning the camera. Also, I've picked up about 2-3 FPS overall, and this is with everything maxed out at 1440p with a GTX 980 Ti overclocked to 1500/8000.

So I'm very GPU limited as it is.. I'm going to do some tests at a lower resolution to see if I get better scaling in DX12.

10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I can't say i'm seeing the same results, no real difference in in windowed or fullscreen.

I even tried to replicate the dev results on a 970/2600k system at high and i'm not seeing what they are claiming with 46 - 60fps, actually seeing lower with DX12.

Anyone else notice that DX12 is much blurrier, you can even see it on the benchmark screenshots.

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    back then I played without vsync by both settings and exclusive was still a lot smoother. Now on 980Ti I play with vsync.

Just updated the game will see what's up in dx12 and that VXAO in dx11, just shame its not working in dx12 yet.. :nerd:

12. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    OK tested Geothermal Valley by lowering the resolution to 1080p, and the difference between DX12 and DX11 is fairly large.

I saw an increase of 12 FPS with DX12, vs DX11 at 1080p. This is with exclusive fullscreen disabled, and triple buffering disabled as well.

So it's definitely working for me in CPU limited areas. :)

At my monitor's native resolution I'm effectively GPU bound, so I don't see an FPS increase, although the game does run significantly smoother presumably due to higher minimums..

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    well I scored a little higher with exclusive fullscreen in DX12.

This is with 2xSSAA @ 1080p, rest at max, filmgrain off. Gpu stock OC 1404mhz/ram 7200mhz.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

DX11
    [​IMG]

DX12
    [​IMG]

DX12 exclusive
    [​IMG]

Overall DX11 is faster with 2xSSAA.. maybe it could be a little different if I turn off steam FPS overlay, gonna try that now and without SSAA by both APIs.

14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Now at SMAA, and dx12 exclusive scored a little lower.. It acts as DX11 in exclusive by min fps (at least in Syria, rest has higher min fps)..

Gonna try dx11 borderless to see what's up by min FPS in Syria :nerd:

VXAO looks nice too, but its a bit demanding - not much, but it is something. Although I got better min fps in Geothermal Valley with VXAO then HBAO+ :grin:

dx11
    [​IMG]

dx11 VXAO
    [​IMG]

dx12
    [​IMG]

dx12 exclusive
    [​IMG]

EDIT: some funny stuff.. Now in DX11 borderless VXAO runs worse by min fps, guess its some timing issue right when it loads next benchmark for that split second. While by DX11 broderless HBAO it fixed that min fps in Syria

DX11 borderless
    [​IMG]

DX11 VXAO borderless
    [​IMG]

Overall DX12 is faster by min fps in all 3 tests.

@AsiJu

What was your GPU freq. there? And what settings did you use? Just curious cause you got higher min fps :)

Ok nvm I OC'ed to the max 1490/7400 and got this :nerd:

dx12 borderless, this time with FXAA, dunno if SMAA or FXAA makes any difference, had SMAA before at "stock" 1404mhz boost.
    [​IMG]

no ram OC and its a bit all over the place, min fps seems better, but 1490 is pushing it.. saw some red dots by geothermal valley -_-, dayum.. meh guess 1480 is my hard limit, just like I saw in 3dmark 2011 or firestrike.

[​IMG]

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I'm pretty much the same with DX12 being slower in every scenario at 1080p.

This is GPU's and CPU at stock speeds and no HT.

Will give 720p a shot just for the sake of it.

16. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    You are using the latest drivers right? And I presume you're also running Windows 10 version 1511 (build 10586.164)?

17. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    @Tj, I wouldn't put much stock in the benchmark. Try testing the actual game to see if you can find improvements.

I saw a 12 FPS increase in the Geothermal Valley with DX12 vs DX11.

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Im not that far yet, still in Soviet map outside the prison. I already got the rope and escaped with that prison buddy..

If I look just at benchmark, yeah Geothermal valley showed a big boost here as well, up to 14FPS, or up to 20-24FPS with extra gpu OC to the max.

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    364.51 driver.

W10 yes, but insider preview 14279.

20. Headd

Headd Active Member

GPU:
    GTX970