Rumor: GeForce GTX 1080 8GB gddr5x based on Pascal GPU in May

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Hah first?

Pretty much what I expected. Except the 256bit bus... not sure this is a good idea, although I don't mind GDDR5X for the cards at all, 8GB should be more than sufficient.
    At least it meets the time frame I expected for first launches, let's see how things turn out.

3. Lowice

Lowice Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 980ti OC
    But how would it work in DX12 compaired to AMD

4. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Let's just hope this time there won't be any 224-bit bus :D.

But seriously though, a 256-bit bus could be enough if GDDR5X is aimed towards speed. I mean a 15GHz GDDR5 memory suddenly doubles what we currently have.
    And it's not that hard to achieve even if it sounds like a lot, remember - GDDR5 reaches around 7GHz _effective_ data rate since it's a QDR-type memory. If they somehow managed to make it octa-pumped instead of quad-pumped a 5GHz memory today becomes a 10GHz memory tomorrow.

That's a possibility.

5. DribbelDog

DribbelDog Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080 FE SLI
    I really hope this is true.

Especially since NVIDIA seems to have started nerfing the 7xx series with (lack of) driver support. In some benchmarks the 780ti seems to perform worse than the 970, which worries me... I thought I'd be fine skipping the 9xx series, but I'm slightly disappointed by how my 780ti's are holding up. Too late to jump on the 9xx bandwagon now, so can't wait for something new to come out.

6. Ziggymac

Ziggymac Guest

GPU:
    Asus 970 Strix SLi
    Ebay is about to get flooded with used 980's and 970's...:)

7. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Im really not sure about this story of GDDR5x who run since some times.....

Mass production of HBM2 ( 16-32GB ) should happend in summer, but tthis dont mean theres not allready HBM2 4-8GB in production.

HBM require ( as seen on Fury ) a complete different setup on the silicon side: Interposer, Different memory controller, different layout on the cache side.

Why make 2 completely different chips layout, when with HBM2 you have the possibility to got 4-8-12-16-32GB ? Specially as x104 cost not the same price as high end 4 years ago. ( 500-600 $ ) ..

Ofc the lineup will split at a moment or another, HBM are too costly for low end gpu's.. But so GP104 and GP100 will be quite different. Even on Power efficiency... I can be wrong but i imagine this split only at the GP106 level. ( for GP106 and under ).... Not between GP104-GP100. Witthout saying that GDDr5x is surely not ready yet for mass production.

Will be funny to see Nvidia reserve HBM2 for the 1000$ " Titan " 16GB GPU`s ( followed then by a 1080Ti 12GB HBM2 ).

Funny but look exactly how Nividia is selling lineup anyway

Tesla GP100: 32GB HBM2
    Titan GP100: 16GB HBM2
    Geforce 1080TI: 12GB HBM2
    Geforce 1080 : 8GB ( GDDR5x or HBM2 )

Geforce 1050TI : 4GB GDDR5

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  8. Kaotik

Kaotik Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Micron, only manufacturer of GDDR5X, isn't starting mass production of GDDR5X until summer (August mentioned earlier). Thus, card with GDDR5X in May is simply impossible.

9. Kaotik

Kaotik Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    HBM2 4GB stacks (used for 16GB / 4096bit) are in mass production already, 8GB (used for 32GB / 4096bit) won't be until late this year, probably end of Q3/early Q4.
    1GB HBM2 stacks aren't even planned, 2GB HBM2 stacks haven't been announced to be in production yet.
    Different chips, AMD has already confirmed they can accommodate both GDDR5 and HBM markets with Polaris as needed

10. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Hmmz, a bit later than i hoped (Overwatch/Legion).

Apart from that i don't mind it having GDDR5(X), this might be in favour of my favorite GPU Coolers from Arctic, as it's probably compatible out of the box.

11. Mtom

Mtom Member

GPU:
    290X lightning
    Yeah GDD5X based Pascal in May...when GDDR5X mass production starts at summer...seems legit.

12. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX

SK Hynix hits mass production of 4GB HBM2 in Q3, 8GB HBM2 in Q4 2016

when they are ready and usable is another story.
    I hope they out bench titan x and heavy clocked 980ti's I don't care too much about dx12 yet

from micron

Micron is currently ramping GDDR5X to mass production, and will be announcing sample dates later this spring. We plan to be in full volume production this summer.

you know just thinking it would be really nice if this was a
    "between" card like 980-980ti and cheaper like 400-450 or so and not a high priced pos ref only card.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  13. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Ha ha so true! I just sold both my Titan X cards before they depreciated in value. I'm using a EVGA 970 as a tide-me-over card until i can buy 2x 1080's.

14. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Definitely want one though I definitely don't need one either! :D

Will this card support DX12's asynchronous compute?

The GTX 980 Ti is still a superb card even with the upgrade in resolution from 1920x1200 to 2560x1440. I am only interested in single GPU configurations (SLI and CFX are too annoying to deal with and sparsely supported by developers to even interest me these days) so I prefer to opt for a top of the range card that doesn't have Titan in its name (since those are poor value in my humble view). Fortunately, multi-monitor setups and VR do not interest me, which keeps my budget down to a reasonable level. Also 60 fps is all I need so I do not need the additional horsepower for higher framerates either. Maxed out settings at 2560x1440 with decent anti-aliasing and ideally a locked 60 fps are what I want and hopefully these new Pascal cards will deliver.

Whether I buy one at launch is debatable though. I bought the GTX 980 at launch and that was followed by the far superior GTX 980 Ti so common sense is telling me that I would be better waiting for the next cards after these.

15. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Probably best to wait until Nvidia puts all its cards on the table (of course that can change very quickly on launch day ;) )

I too bought 980s and then 980Tis but I prefer to get one set of cards per generation so I might hold out for the HBM SKUs as these Ti cards are still making short work of everything.

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    @Darren

That would be a stupid move, full gp100 might be better with 10-12tflops (980ti 1400mhz has 8.2 -8.4tflops). This gp104 wont be fast enough, even 8gb is not worth mentioning.

And async will be the same as now, in cuda. Im pretty sure about that.

If gp100 is only 30-40% faster from oc'ed gm200 according to tflop difference then i'll wait for Volta, screw pascal.

17. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Nevermind

18. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    But Samsung did already start mass producing 4gb hbm2 in January so one company is at least.

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    A 950 is 1.57 Tflops, a 770 is 3.2Tflops and yet:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/the_division_pc_graphics_performance_benchmark_review,6.html

People will say it's being downgraded or whatever, but more than likely the game makes heavy use of directcompute, which Maxwell is significantly faster in. A 950 is like almost 3x faster in compute than a 770 despite a 1.5tflop difference.

I don't expect early Pascal cards to be big, nor fast, due to manufacturing costs and lack of cost reduction on the shrink. So yeah, if you're looking for a major upgrade from Nvidia it's probably worth waiting for Volta or a larger Pascal card next year.

20. Kaotik

Kaotik Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Yeah, but Samsung already started 4GB mass production, and will start 8GB at some point in H2.