AMD Radeon Software Crimson 16.3

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by d2kx, Mar 9, 2016.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The last overhead test I ran was before Crimson, and it was 1.1million for me.

2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Not seeing anything out of ordinary there.
    90% GPU... not seeing it.

CPU(or even GPU) spiking to 14% when scrolling...its supposed to.
    It doesnt necesarily mean its spiking at full clocks.

3. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    Did not notice any fps improvement in Raise of the Tomb Raider, or very little, maybe 0.3 fps, on my 390. Tested with loading a game at the same spot.
    Not that I expected it much since changelog mentioned on GCN 1.2 cards for TR anyway.

But Afterburner auto 2D/3D profile switching is not working. Always detects as 3D.

4. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    There is a boost in GOW, but the 980s still smashing the Furys.

@1440p the Fury averages 40fps, the 980 averages 60fps

@4k the Fury averages 15fps, the 980 gets double, 30fps

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016

5. Garwinski

Garwinski Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX Fury X
    That is very, very decent. Might go trough the hassle of setting up all custom reg edits and other stuff for this driver, as games like Dying Light is very much helped by a lower overhead, and that is a game I like to play lately. Thanks for info

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    It has to be one. FC Primal, Hitman, Division are highly favoring Fury.

7. jokerinho

jokerinho Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor R9 280x OC
    Not sure why you don't just take it for what I say, but here you go:

http://imgur.com/VmuYXkF

8. FinalKenpachi

FinalKenpachi Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Trixx
    Hello all. I have problem after updating 16.3 driver.

My driver will work with no problem but few hours later driver icon will gone at the taskbar. And i cannot open driver anymore. Driver will not work if i don't restart my computer. So you guys have a problem like that or just me?

My card is R9 290 Trix. And that power saving don't have my options menu. This options not for my card?

Thanks.

9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Sorry, I just do not understand what your problem is.
    95% GPU -> Black Desert MMORPG is running. , whats the problem

10. jokerinho

jokerinho Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor R9 280x OC
    No problem, I think I didn't explain right:

csrss.exe is obivously using my GPU in idle from 1-3% too, sometimes 4%.
    Since i think on the desktop it should be dwm.exe I don't know why csrss does, with browser and all other programs closed (I am clueless though, but I definitely remember before that my GPU usage was near 0% before the Crimson drivers).

Now, csrss.exe is jumping from 0-95% around while Black Desert is running, altough Black Desert keeps steady 50 FPS. If I check MSI Afterburner now, it shows me a ~constant 90% GPU usage (assumed by Black Desert).

I think this must mean that csrss.exe must be using at least some GPU for whatever reason, and I fear this is what keeps me from reaching more GPU usage for Black Desert.

If this is still all fine, okay, I have no clue, but I was just unsure and I want my system to run well.

11. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Black Desert 50fps with 280x sounds more than fine.

12. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It also seems that the games that AMD underperforms in general, are bad ports.

13. jokerinho

jokerinho Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor R9 280x OC
    Wow, I didn't expect that answer, haha. GG then
    Since you know my resolution, ingame settings etc. I'll leave you with your ignorancy and hope for someone knowledgable to answer me, thanks for answering though.

14. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    is anyone having issues with gears of war on windows 10 store,
    with these drivers and i havent done anything different apart from install drivers

but the game does not even startup anymore, just goes to black screen with red cog in the middle then shuts back down to desktop no error or nothing,

i ruled out files as i deleted them and reinstalled the game and still there same crap.

EDIT: follow up
    these drivers are bug riddled to hell, the division flickering is even worse
    and also if i power off my monitor and power it back on or change resolutions in any way, my display driver crashes and i have to go into device manager and reenable it....

WTF, how can a company break just as much as they fix or tweak and break stuff, its diabolical im honestly at the end of the run with AMD/ATI cards and there piss poor drivers.

i cant wait until nvidia`s new bad boys as im jumping ship as soon as they arrive.

15. ReaperXL2

ReaperXL2 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080ti Hybrid

Dude, do you think that I don't know what I am doing/talking about ??? Do you for one minute think I would even mention this if I was happy with performance ??? Do I seem a moron to you ??? Sorry bro, but seriously?...

If my card runs at the core 1125/mem 1680 speeds @ 1920/1080 60hz I set using my posted reg tweak then I get 60fps locked maxed out in elite...

This driver with it's AMD derived fix nets me 43fps maxed out in Elite (clock won't run above 824mhz regardless of AB settings)... I have similar max fps issues with the other games I mentioned... I did not bother testing more (no need to)...

Is that clear enough for you bro ???

16. Dygaza

Dygaza Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid
    You're supposed to be getting downclocking if you are on low gpu usage. It's more efficient to run gpu at 550 MHz 100% GPU usage, than with 1100MHz, 50% GPU usage. Both offer same performance.

17. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    haha np. I'll even bump you, just in case

18. cyclone3d

cyclone3d Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 390
    I also haven't seen a problem with the "downclocking". Not sure why it is even being called downclocking.

Intel and AMD have been doing this for years via powerstates.

You have idle, and then multiple other powerstates where the clock speed is regulated by the load put on the CPU.

In the past.. for certain games/programs, you do get better performance if you set Windows to run the CPU at 100% clock speed all the time.

From what I am seeing in threads the same can be said for the GPU and certain games.

Smite and Warframe seem to work quite well with the GPU powerstates. In Warframe, at 1920x1200 with everything maxed out, it rarely goes over 500Mhz GPU clock for me. Runs just fine.

I don't play Smite near as much, but pretty sure I've never seen the GPU clocks even reach 500Mhz.

19. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Well the goal was VISIBILITY so it was not so pointless after all.

I have enough "nice" discussions with amd fanatic fanboys in here and in other discussion forums, i really don't want to discuss with them in their official den.

in the next Petition maybe you could help there, help is always welcome.

:)

Only series 300 launch driver was a good trick i must say but the card is the same.

PCB design is the same: 390(x) full GPU blocks are the same as 290(X).

Basically the same stuff with some minor improvement in bios settings related to power management as PR said and an OC.

Your Fury X should react properly to new feature (to an extend) but as CFX user we know it's almost never so simple...

:3eyes:

I guess a bios mode 290(x) as 390(x) will have this new toggle working.

It smells like another VSR gate where 280X worked and 7970 not...

:3eyes:

The toggle should work properly in your 390

I think the implemented toggle in this drivers is less aggressive "unlocking" performance than the reg tweak added with default value.

Look at the next quote response maybe it could help.

You are right there, if the goal is to avoid GPU downclocking the first (user) step should be to maintain high GPU usage using a higher res/VSR or lowering DX11 bottlenecking in game settings like shadow/distance.

20. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    Clearer, certainly.

In the future, I suggest you be clear in your initial postings rather than simply becoming unhinged.